Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner
1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
23,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is taken from her.

Here's the jist of it: I was a passenger on my friend Sean's GXSR 750, we were going WAY fast on highway 550 (that means about 120mph), and my helmet visor flipped open, making me instantly un-aerodynamic, and ripping me off the back of the bike. I tumbled 522 feet down the highway and slid to a stop across the yellow lines at mile marker 8. The guy riding behind us said I looked like a bag of trash rollin' down the highway, and he had to swerve to avoid hitting me. I ended up on my stomach, with my right arm pinned underneath me and my left arm extended out onto the road. My clothes were shredded, my helmet was f*ed, and my shoes were gone... they had all been claimed by the cement. My injuries included, but were not limited to, 50 percent body coverage of third degree "pavement" burns , which we lovingly call "road rash." To get an idea of what this means, some of my bones, tendons, and even internal organs were exposed in several places, and chunks of muscle and skin were completly missing. I lost half of my left breast (which I still am sad about). I also dislocated my right big toe and severed all the tendons in my left pinky finger. However, I didn't break any bones whatsoever. This is probably because I let myself go limp, as I just wanted to die while I tumbled on the cement. The ambulance arrived 45 minutes later because we were out in the middle of nowhere (Indian Reservation!). Once the Paramedics realized the extent of my injuries, they called the helicopter out and flew me to UNMH, where I stayed until just yesterday. So, after 8 surguries and 2 long months in the hospital, I am happy to report that I am home and alright. But, I did have to learn to walk again, and my scars will never go away, and many scars I do have. As of now, I look pretty gross under my clothes, but my pretty face survived.

Of course, I do not regret getting on the bike because you never know when something like that could happen. It was a Sunday drive, and I was sober when I chose to ride. Nothing could have changed what happened or even warned me about the problem with my helmet. I only hope that poor Sean has stopped blaming himself and that he comes with me to Vegas for my birthday. It's amazing what you can learn about a person if you simply fall off their motorcycle. "







 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,457 Posts
:2twitch

I would have never imagined something like THIS would happen on a Suzuki...of all the bikes and riders! :bonk
 

·
Whoa, Black Betty...bam-ba-lam
Joined
·
14,005 Posts
I'm not buying the bit about the visor pulling her off the bike.....I imagine it was more of a "my visor flipped up and i panicked then fell off when I let go of the rider and reached both hands up to close my visor" kind of thing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27,266 Posts
She slid 500feet:confused

Tom
 

·
Moderator,
Joined
·
16,949 Posts
SquidwardKX said:
I'm not buying the bit about the visor pulling her off the bike.....I imagine it was more of a "my visor flipped up and i panicked then fell off when I let go of the rider and reached both hands up to close my visor" kind of thing.
+1

unaerodynamic?! :lol She probably wouldn't know aerodyanimcs if it smacked her across the face.

I don't see how 120mph wind will rip a normal adult of the back of a motorcycle by just the area of a helmet visor. No disrespect to her, but come on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
209 Posts
I'm surprised she is as upbeat as she sounds. I had a patch of rash on my back about 4 inches square and that shit sucked. When they scrubbed it out in the ER it was the worst pain ever, even after they had doped me up with some morphine for my collar bone. I can't even imagine what she went through. She may not regret getting on the bike, but I bet she regrets not wearing more protection than a helmet.
 

·
daddy vroom vroom
Joined
·
1,423 Posts
either way...
 

·
daddy vroom vroom
Joined
·
1,423 Posts
Hell...
 

·
Hoof Hearted
Joined
·
2,820 Posts
One night riding home I was doing about 110. As I approached my exit I rolled off the throttle and started to sit up. The visor on the HJC helmet I was wearing immediately ripped open and spun around nearly to the top of the helmet. This created a scoop on the top of my helmet. The force of this when it happened was enough to rip my head back so hard I almost passed out. My neck was sore for 2 days. And my left hand came off clipon for a brief second since I was just covering the clutch for downshifts. I weigh 240. I could understand a girl that weighs a buck-twenty getting ripped off the back if she wasn't prepared. My guess is that the visor came open and ripped her head back and yanked her back. Yes, she probably let go but I couldn't blame her for that. That'd be a natural reaction for most people.

I'm just amazed she's still alive. Still cute too. And I second what someone said about passengers wearing gear too.
 

·
I give girls cancer.
Joined
·
7,928 Posts
Dodger said:
One night riding home I was doing about 110. As I approached my exit I rolled off the throttle and started to sit up. The visor on the HJC helmet I was wearing immediately ripped open and spun around nearly to the top of the helmet. This created a scoop on the top of my helmet. The force of this when it happened was enough to rip my head back so hard I almost passed out. My neck was sore for 2 days. And my left hand came off clipon for a brief second since I was just covering the clutch for downshifts. I weigh 240. I could understand a girl that weighs a buck-twenty getting ripped off the back if she wasn't prepared. My guess is that the visor came open and ripped her head back and yanked her back. Yes, she probably let go but I couldn't blame her for that. That'd be a natural reaction for most people.

I'm just amazed she's still alive. Still cute too. And I second what someone said about passengers wearing gear too.
+1

Those who are saying it couldn't happen obviously haven't had it happen to them.


I had a visor come loose on me drag racing my old Banshee. It caught me off guard, pulled my hands from the bars and felt like it was going to rip my head off. I coasted the rest of the way down the strip looking under the chin bar. :eek


If that can happen with a ventilated visor (MX helmet) at 70-ish MPH I could absolutely see it "pulling" an unexpecting passenger from their perch. :(


Oh, and yes: I'd hit it. :redflip
 

·
Whoa, Black Betty...bam-ba-lam
Joined
·
14,005 Posts
I've been over 160 on a CBR954RR while wearing an MX helmet and yes i felt some extra drag, but nothing severe enough to hurt my neck or make me feel as if i was falling off the bike. I've also never had a visor open on me, but it's happened to my little wife at speed a few times and she never came off the bike, etc. :shrug
 

·
You can keep your CHANGE
Joined
·
1,931 Posts
poor girl

I'm saving this thread and show my girlfriend next time when she complain how "stupid" she looks wearing my gear.
 

·
daddy vroom vroom
Joined
·
1,423 Posts
:rolleyes :shake :rolleyes :shake

Riding bitch on the back of a sportbike is nothing like riding pilot (or as a passenger on a crusier for that matter). Pillion seats are small and your legs are squashed up like pretzels. I can count on one hand the amount f times I've been on the back of sportbikes. Each time I have felt very unstable in comparison to riding pilot.

Even if you have experienced a gust of wind strong enough to pull your visor up at tripple didgit speeds you most likely haven't had the same variables as the girl in the crash. It's very plausable that a sudden blast of strong wind while riding pillion might be enough to throw you off balance enough to fall of a bike. Moreso, for someone who is inexperienced in being a sportbike passenger.

The point is that this very attractive young woman has turned her hot little body into something that will now be severly scarred for the rest of her life. Fortunately for her most of those scars won't be seen by the general public on an everyday basis, but for $300 worth of gear she could have advoided the majority of them. i have had women who want to ride, but don't want to wear gear because it makes them look unattractive at teh time. My response is generally: I am not going to be responsible for destoying your beauty, so wear the gear or don't ride.
 

·
Whoa, Black Betty...bam-ba-lam
Joined
·
14,005 Posts
Corey_C said:
:rolleyes :shake :rolleyes :shake

Riding bitch on the back of a sportbike is nothing like riding pilot (or as a passenger on a crusier for that matter). Pillion seats are small and your legs are squashed up like pretzels. I can count on one hand the amount f times I've been on the back of sportbikes. Each time I have felt very unstable in comparison to riding pilot.

Even if you have experienced a gust of wind strong enough to pull your visor up at tripple didgit speeds you most likely haven't had the same variables as the girl in the crash. It's very plausable that a sudden blast of strong wind while riding pillion might be enough to throw you off balance enough to fall of a bike. Moreso, for someone who is inexperienced in being a sportbike passenger.

The point is that this very attractive young woman has turned her hot little body into something that will now be severly scarred for the rest of her life. Fortunately for her most of those scars won't be seen by the general public on an everyday basis, but for $300 worth of gear she could have advoided the majority of them. i have had women who want to ride, but don't want to wear gear because it makes them look unattractive at teh time. My response is generally: I am not going to be responsible for destoying your beauty, so wear the gear or don't ride.
The more i think about it the more plausible it seems, but i still can't help but shake my head and mutter "dumbasses" when i read her tale. Of course i don't ride bitch and my answer to those that want to ride on the back of my bike is simple....I have no passenger provisions. If you want to ride, get your own or find some other schmuck to tote your ass.
 
1 - 20 of 93 Posts
Top