Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Fine wine expert
3,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is long, so here are the cliff's notes:

1. How cold can it get before it's too cold for perf'd and non-perf'd leathers?
2. Will an insulated liner in a perf'd jacket help much?
3. How hot is too hot for non-perf'd and perf'd leathers?
4. What do you think of Teknic gear, specifically the Lightning 2-piece suit? Is this suit a good buy at $369?

The only jacket I own right now is a Titanium Air (mesh) jacket. When it's under 75 degrees or so it's too cold because of all the airflow. I need a new jacket and can't decide if I should get perf'd leather or not. Granted, it doesn't get very cold here in Austin but I'd like something warm enough that I can ride in when it's in the 50's, but not so hot that I can wear it for a decent portion of our riding season. I was thinking that a perf'd jacket with an insulated liner would do the trick for both warmer and cooler weather but since I've never worn leathers I don't know what to expect.

I'm thinking of buying a Teknic Lightning 2-piece suit from New Enough since they are on sale. Problem is that it's solid leather and doesn't appear to have any vents. I'm afraid it's going to be too hot for me since it has no ventilation. How hot is too hot for un-perf'd leathers?

Also, any thoughts on the quality of Teknic gear would be appreciated. I'm on a very tight budget right now and this seems to be the nicest set of leathers I can buy at this price ($369). I don't have to get pants right away though, I just need a jacket for this season. I'm hoping to do my first track day next year though, so I'll need pants eventually and at this price it's tough to pass up.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I would say go with the perf'd. You can always wear something uder or over it to break the wind. In the summer or when it is warmer out you will be thankful for all the tiny holes.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I've worn perforated leathers with a windbreaker underneath in 40* weather and was fine........cool, but fine.

·
Brought to you by the letter 1
6,239 Posts
Ive got an older set of teknic chicanes, almost 7 years old, they are holding strong..never went down in them thou (knock on wood)

I ride all year round, I have a set of bicycling pants for the winter to insulate the legs, and do insulated shirts up top, and carry a water proof jacket I got in korea with a flannel/thermal type liner that does wonders. socks are rated for -20 degrees and gloves, well nothing the slip-on cant take care of. I just havent forced myself to buy thick ass winter gloves .YET and a hood with a neck that goes down into the shirt.

something to do prior to riding in cold weather. Take short rides, to work every so often. Get the feel for where your coldest and get the proper gear. Also..bear with me, get outside and wear a little less, get acustomed to the temperature, that way when you throw in the wind chill its somewhat bearable.

·
Registered
560 Posts
you never will know just how much the perfs help until you ride on a cool day. you will FREEZE. any temp above 85deg. better to have perfs. im in FL. so i wouldnt have it any other way. remember, if you get a larger jacket to fit a liner, the armour will NOT stay in place on the elbows. buddy went down at the track 2 weeks ago and his 1 pc. suit was a bit large. ended up with a nasty strawberry on his elbow where the padding had moved over. my 1st gear "honda racing' jacket is tight around the bicep and elbow (and im no Arnold) and in 2 crashes at the track the pads have stayed where they should. very happy with this jacket, but it is $500bucks.
if you can only have 1 jacket though, get perfed.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
I think teknic makes a good suit for the money. There are better suits, but for under 400 bux you cant beat them IMO. The lightning 2pc suit isnt perforated, but the 1pc is. My wife has that suit. Good construction, good armor, and is made of cowhide, unlike the chicane version that is goatskin.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I would say go with the perf'd. You can always wear something uder or over it to break the wind. In the summer or when it is warmer out you will be thankful for all the tiny holes.
Yeah, more perfs is good perfs!
If you're cold you can always do something about it (like wearing some thermal underwear) but if it's hot you're SOL and it's usually f*ckin' hot at the track.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts