Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
James "finger tight" Rachner
7,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok... so it's not a 'new' car.

Some of you may remember a little project i started a little over a year ago. I bought a 85' Subaru GL Sedan to make into a nice little 4 dr. daily driver. I started stripping the car down to the frame, pulled the motor stripped the interior so i could prep and paint the whole thing from the ground up. Had a good source on STI motors from Japan here in Washington and was going to basically build a j-spec wrx with a 85 GL chassis. Beleive it or not just about everything bolts in (using parts and such from other cars)

My parents sold the house i was living in (they had moved out earlier in the year) and so i no longer had a nice big 4 car garage to do the work in. I also realized that sourcing some of the parts was more difficult than i anticipated. Making some of the suspension parts fit was going to be a PITA. I pretty much just salvaged the parts i could and sold off the shell when the house sold. Living where i'm at now i don't have the garage space for a project car to just sit there while i slowly build it. SO... i got something i can work on and drive as a daily driver until i have all the parts together to start the project again :D

http://seattle.craigslist.org/car/53013669.html

I'm picking it up today at 1:30 :D This car wont be nearly as light as the GL i had but it will be lighter than any of the current WRX's and MUCH less of a headache as the parts WILL just 'bolt in'. And i get some of the creature comforts i wouldn't get with the 85'. And what makes a better sleeper than a wagon :D

Ok it's official... i'm a dork.

·
Registered
6,333 Posts
Sweet - sounds like fun! As a fellow scoob-nut, I'm really interested in checking this out when you're done.

·
7,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
woohoo...

she's sittin' in the driveway now :D Cant wait for the snow or the next auto-x event in oregon! Can't wait to start wrenching on it... now i just need money :eek

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
So how are those to actually work on? I have never been a fan of them because of how the plugs sit in there. Also, I heard replacing the clutch one ones with a hill hold can be a pain. Subaru is about the only car I try to not work on in my business besides the European imports. Their software in their computers is a pain.

·
7,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
jim_d2p said:
So how are those to actually work on? I have never been a fan of them because of how the plugs sit in there. Also, I heard replacing the clutch one ones with a hill hold can be a pain. Subaru is about the only car I try to not work on in my business besides the European imports. Their software in their computers is a pain.
depends on the subie. I havn't had much experience with the newer ones.

I've had a 83' wagon with the EA81 1.8 motor for the past 7 years... That was and is the EASIEST car in the world to work on. And almost maintainance free. No timing belt to fuss with, pulled the motor a couple times. Just last fall I threw it up on jackstands and pulled the motor out in just under 90 minutes. That's the easiest way to do a clutch on em'... and it has a hill holder. Just pull the cable off and it's no biggie :D

As for the new ones, my father upgraded from his EA82 wagon to a legacy a few years back and it's proven to be almost as easy to work on.

I guess after working on a twin turbo Z for a couple of years everything else seems kinda easy in comparison.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts