Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Oh my gawd! DJ Tiesto is the #1 DJ the world and proved yet once again why. The guy had Premier jumping with their hands in the air for 2 1/2 hours lastnight. Premier has a capacity of 2300 people and i wouldn't doubt that they had 2400 in there, my gawd it was insane!!!!! Its pretty amazing when there are 2000 people jumping up and down all in unison and the vibe was amazing!

Here are a few pics and you can see the rest at www.johnnymonsoon.com/gallery

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Fuck.....I wanted to go to that but I had to do the company X mas party thing.

So your a superstar trance DJ now? Been hanging out with Keoki to much?:redflip

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
jim_d2p said:
UMMMM, cool, but where's all the hot chicks you usually post pics of?????:redflip
Listen you male chovanistic pig, ITS NOT ALL ABOUT HOT CHICKS.............hmmmm well ok it is :p

Oh and Clutchpack and Adrian, YOU GUYS MISSED OUT ON THE BEST CLUBNIGHT IN 2004! Not that i would ever rub it in ;)

Haha, i am naming my first puppy Keoki when I get it!

·
Registered
15,218 Posts
Not to get flamed but what is the skill set a DJ has to have to make him "good". Isn't he playing other people's music? Is it the sequence he puts them in or what?

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
richardlpalmer said:
Not to get flamed but what is the skill set a DJ has to have to make him "good". Isn't he playing other people's music? Is it the sequence he puts them in or what?

excellent question and there is no reason you should get flamed for asking. I'll explain after i finish wrapping the last couple of presents tonight. I talk to tons and tons of people who ask the same thing so don't worry, your one of many who wonder what it really means. :D I will say this though, you have to experience an event like lastnight to truly understand the power that someone posseses when they simply mix one song into another and so on.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
So when you do your shows or whatever, you going to hook us up and sneak all of us trance lovers in for free ;)

·
Registered
932 Posts
I'd say Dave Clarke or Jeff Mills, are the best. Don't get ahead of yourself ;)

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
mrb said:
Uh Oh, someone likes techno! ;) Two excellent dj's indeed.

i think dave clarke is rated around #37 in the world or so in the DJ mag poll, not that that means anything. He likes cigars, has an S500 and a Honda NSX as well, the man has good taste in life and music.

and Jeff mills #47 in that same pole, again though, the pole being pretty much a popularity contest.

I am a fan of both. :D

·
Registered
12,907 Posts
I like when they play 70's stuff.... yeah baby yeah... The only way to hear Donna Summer or KC is on Vinyl :thumb Although back in the college days.... it was cool to hear the Techno or Euro stuff. Very cool pics! :thumb

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
mnewell said:
They have a ranking system for DJs?

dub-tee-eff mate?
Yeah lots of people say the same thing. Its kinda like those VH1 top 100 rock bands of all time or the same stuff like radio stations do of the top 100 rock songs or something. Its basically people voting for their favorite dj's and this one happens to be the biggest of them all:

http://www.djmag.com/top100chart.asp

Again, its mainly a popularity contest but the cool thing is, that it helps the DJ in making a name for himself which in turn helps him out bigtime financially.

For example, right now Paul Van Dyk charges around $35,000 for a 2 hour set on a friday or saturday night. That doesn't include airfare, hotel, food, etc. But when you charge 1500 to 2000 people $35 a piece, the promoter gets around $52,000-$70,000 to pay the DJ, venue, security, lighting, advertising, etc etc etc.

My buddy who runs www.electrafi.com brought in paul oakenfold a while back and had to pay the guy $15,000 up front before he even came into the country. :eek

One of the things i enjoy most is that you could stand right next to paul van dyk or paul oakenfold where as with rock stars you would get mobbed by security. DJ are so personable that lots of times before they go on stage to play their set, they hang out with people in the club watching the opening dj.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
mrb said:
Jeff Mills lays down some pretty smooth mixes but dont forget that Joey Beltram still puts the smack down on his ass.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
richardlpalmer said:
So there's a way they mix the music so it flows from one song to the next and keeps the crowd energized. That's the skill/art?
That is perhaps one of the skills. I think it is all about how they present the music. Any trained monkey can mix two records into each other. Its more of how you get it all to flow. A good DJ can make the music seem like a story or an adventure. It starts, builds, peaks and then tapers off. Some DJs just play all over the place and while the transition from one track to another is good, they are just to scattered.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
blake4 said:
I got to give this Trance music a try. IMO music hasnt been good since the 80s.
Be careful, finding good electronica is like panning for gold. Its cool when you find something good but mostly its a bunch of shit.

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'd write more but i am feeling lightheaded from shopping at bellevue square earlier today :shake Adrian had some really good points.

Basically, a dj is like a conductor in an opera. He is in charge of everything from the speed of the music to the time in between songs etc etc etc. Just like an artist paints on a canvas, a dj paints with sound and the canvas is the dancefloor. What i do is basically tell a story that toys with your emotions. My goal is to make the crowd lose touch with reality. I basically have complete control over what i want the crowd to do. I can bring the energy up and get people to start bouncin off the walls or I can bring it down a bit so they fall into a nice groove. Its about choosing the right songs at the right time. Its one thing to mix 2 tracks together but its another thing to mix them in a way that they flow together and create a new song with bits and pieces of each.

Did you know that a bass drum that is played repeatedly at or above 140 beats per minute actually stimulates endorphins and gives you a natural high :eek

As far as Most electronic music being shit:

There are good country singers like brooks and dunn and shitty country singers
Good lyricists and shitty lyricists
Good rockers and shitty hair band rockers like winger
Good banjo players like steve martin and shitty banjo players.

So when when you say most of it is shit, thats pretty much a given as in any musical genre. So blake, don't be discouraged if you want to look into it, its all about knowing where to look and I can help ya do that. I will have a bunch of demo cd's done here very shortly and you can start with those :D

1 - 20 of 61 Posts