Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Went MIA
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to be buying a Ducati 748 in the next few months and I was wondering what all of you who own, or have owned one thought about them?

Hows the service and general keep up work on them? Any crazy repair bills that crept up on you?

I plan on getting a 748 BiPosto in red.

Any thoughts would be greatly appretiated.

Thanks
Joe

·
slowest duc rider EVAR!
2,326 Posts
6k miles /12 k mile services are the expensive ones due to valve adjustment....however the cost of these two can be cut down quite a lot.

grab a haynes manual and do pretty much everything yourself, leave the actual valve adjustment part for the pros- that'll save you a few hundred

i.e. it was 600 for my 6k service,
if i did most of the stuff myself, the valve adjustment/shim replacement would've only been somewhere around 200

other than that...no problems.
if anything buy a new leftover 01/02 that way you'll get the 2 years free service...well worth it in my opinion.

·
Moderator,
8,028 Posts
Before you buy, make sure you have the gear first. Gear is very important, imo, and I wouldn't ride without it.

The discriminating 748 owner REQUIRES:
  • Italian loafers with tassels, the tassels keep the brake and clutch levers clean
  • Armani socks, as if you would wear Hanes on a Ducati!
  • Ducati logo baseball hat, to announce your superiority to those around you when you're not next to your bike
  • Carbon Fiber espresso cup, for sipping while staring at your bike through the Starbucks window
  • and a Fast By Ferracci wipe down towel, for use when cleaning the bike 24/7
:redflip

·
Registered
462 Posts
SilverSurfer said:
[*]Carbon Fiber espresso cup, for sipping while staring at your bike through the Starbucks window

Thats cool, I need one of those. I bet I could drink way faster with one.

·
Registered
8,137 Posts
how droll

SilverSurfer said:
Before you buy, make sure you have the gear first. Gear is very important, imo, and I wouldn't ride without it.

[*]and a Fast By Ferracci wipe down towel, for use when cleaning the bike 24/7
[/list]

I use my Ferracci towel to wipe all the Daytona owner drool off my bike.. remember when I first caught you lovingly gazing at it out the window SSur4?

I think you were wearing your official Victoria's Secret union jack bra and panty set...

And dude, if you live in Nh and you're buying a 748, you know to go to BCM right?

Just cause I'm a picture whore, this is for you Mr. Moderator...

·
Went MIA
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the responces everyone.

As far as the gear goes....I already have the Ducati 998 shirt that says..."I bet you have a car in your garage." Umm I think thats about it. Oh and a post of Zaus dragging his knee and almost his elbow.:D

When I do go pick one up I am going to be getting about a 01 or 02 model just because I love the classic look of them. Classic.....hrmm...its what 11 years old or something crazy?

Is BCM the dealer in Laconia? If not where is this place you speak of?:D

Thanks again everyone.....anymore thoughts out there?

Joe
PS- Why just Armani socks? Why not ride in my Armani suit? would I get bonus points?:laughing

·
slowest duc rider EVAR!
2,326 Posts
HpiRally said:
PS- Why just Armani socks? Why not ride in my Armani suit? would I get bonus points?:laughing
you guys are going to laugh (or maybe not), BUT my brother had a wedding to go to (no date i suppose), and well, it was a nice summer day, so the frikkin guy has his suit on, and tells me to move my bike...couldn't figure out why.

then i see the guy taking off down the street on his 998 wearing his ARMANI suit...

damn squidly older brother :redflip

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Are you purchasing the 748 brand new?

I know that they were offering 2 years free maintenance and 2 years warranty on any 2001 748's. This is a great deal and because of this, the deal was signed!

·
Registered
46 Posts
They are awsome machines, their value stands the test of time. You will never be disatisfied, when riding hard. 748 is more useable than the 99X series around town, but get out on the highway, open road or track and the 99X is at home. My most humbling moment on any bike came when I reached approx. 225/30 kph and I realized I was only in 4th gear at approx. 9k rpm. I gave up, realizing that the bike was gonna beat me - what a rush cause the acceleration to that speed was so fluid, and quick in no time you reach hyperspace.
Have you considered a later year 9XX if it is the money driving the decision as the savings vs. a new 748 could be applied to whoopass upgrades, if they haven't already been made to the later model 9XX most owners refine/upgrade at time of purchase so you could score a sweet deal. If you want a new model then consider the 748R. I hear they are sweet too - not detracting from the base 748 (a beaut) just options to consider. You'll never go wrong buying a duc !

·
Registered
120 Posts
SilverSurfer said:

The discriminating 748 owner REQUIRES:
  • Carbon Fiber espresso cup, for sipping while staring at your bike through the Starbucks window
:redflip
Yeah.....I used to have a Triumph coffee cup, but the damned thing leaked too much (heeheee)

Seriously....i'm in the market for a 996 these days, so it'll be interesting to hear your stories during the first few days after the purchase!

-chris

·
Registered
751 Posts
SportyChick said:
Are you purchasing the 748 brand new?

I know that they were offering 2 years free maintenance and 2 years warranty on any 2001 748's. This is a great deal and because of this, the deal was signed!
Is this really the way it sounds?
I read on another forum a bloke going through his free maintenance certificates looking for the 12K one - that would be the most expensive service, and there wasn't one - there was a 10K interim service instead. So check very carefully what you actually are getting in your '2 years free maintenance'.. still a great incentive, I agree, but as with all things these days you need to read the small print to see what you are truely getting..

·
Registered
46 Posts
The two years free maintenance is only on the new bikes, and only offered in the US. Not sure what mileage restricttions might apply.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts