Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, a n00b checkin in...

Question... I bought a 97 Katana to learn how to ride on.

After I got my new plate, I went looking for where it is supposed to be mounted to. I noticed the old plate was on the inside of the rear wheelwell. Also I noticed after I took the seat off that there is wiring for a light there, and when the lights are on it's illuminated.

Here comes the dumb question part... is this legal?? I thought for some reason you had to have the plate more visible than that?

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Profile doesn't say where you live. You could either go to a local M/C shop and ask them or just look at the DOT website for your state for the requirements.
Remember that the laws are open to the interpretation of the LEO that is directly behind you.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Here in New York the plate has to be lite, the location has to be visible from so many feet back

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry... I'm in Michigan.

The light being in the spot it is seems to tell me that either it's stock or it's modded... but I guess I don't know the difference.

·
Registered
139 Posts
phool said:
Sorry... I'm in Michigan.

The light being in the spot it is seems to tell me that either it's stock or it's modded... but I guess I don't know the difference.
:confused What are the other choices? :confused Stock or Modded:confused

·
Super Moderator
23,510 Posts
Stock location for all factory built bikes are under the taillight assembly. Some states prohibit moving them from stock locations. Moving it (even in states where its legal) usually makes you a mark for local law enforcemnt.

·
Fuelled by Rice
461 Posts
plate has to be lit and visible from a certain distance from the rear for most police. Most will leave you alone if this is the case

1 - 7 of 7 Posts