• Dinosaur Dial Up

Votes: 8 12.7%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This dail up crap is getting old. I'm about to upgrade to DSL or Cable in a few weeks and I just wanted to see what you guys had and maybe some tips on which one to go with.:confused

·
Registered
11,198 Posts
go for a cable modem man...
DSL's are just too damn unreliable...

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ziadel said:
go for a cable modem man...
DSL's are just too damn unreliable...
See here where I am I hear just the opposite...:confused

·
Registered
11,198 Posts
rrguy said:
See here where I am I hear just the opposite...:confused

thats entirely possible...
do you have verizon?
our DSL's out here SUCK..
they can't even fix them when they go wrong, literally cannot fix them

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Cable.....it's great :thumb

·
my dirt bike has slicks
7,323 Posts
With cable you get potentially higher download speeds, but since several users share a line, you will get congestion at peak hours. Performance will slow noticably at prime time. DSL is a bit slower but you are guaranteed to get that speed all the time.

My mom has cable and it's down all the time, she has an AOL account just for when the cable is down. I have a DSL and it has been super reliable. The question is: who do you want to deal with in your area? The phone company or the cable company?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ziadel said:
thats entirely possible...
do you have verizon?
our DSL's out here SUCK..
they can't even fix them when they go wrong, literally cannot fix them
Out here it's Bell South DSL and Earthlink and I've heard nothing but good. The cable is AT&T and I know nothing about their service as far as internet goes... their digital cable tv service is about a poor as it gets soooo I'm a little worried about that.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Iuse a dial up. I am not going to pay the extra money to get a dsl. How much can you guys get DSL for I have only seen it for like $50/month. I get service for $15 now and that is a huge difference.

·
I used to be drunk and Tan damn NY
7,107 Posts
We're on T1 and T3 at work cable at home meep meep

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
StrickSVS said:
Iuse a dial up. I am not going to pay the extra money to get a dsl. How much can you guys get DSL for I have only seen it for like $50/month. I get service for $15 now and that is a huge difference.
You're right Strick it's ranges from 45 to 50 bucks for DSL.:( It's a chunk of change but when they get the network up and running for the Xbox and PS2...:eek:hyeah ...and I will have to be there!

·
GA sportbike rider
589 Posts
I am on a T1 (100Meg port directly to the switch :D) at work and Cable at home. We have cable through a private company here in town and they are terrific on there service & speed. Very few downtimes & no problems in the 2 years I have been with them.

I have tested during peak hours and my DL times range from 700K to 950K regularly.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts