Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How come I can engine brake in 2nd gear from high RPM without popping into neutral around 6K?!?!

Bike, '91 EX500
The oil was changed less than 200 miles ago. The bike is new (to me) with 16K miles. Is there a problem with the tranny or just my newbie riding style?

Thanks

·
Registered
669 Posts
Yeah i think you worded that the wrong way, but if you are meaning what we are thinking then I think espresso is right. Once the shift dogs get worn it will only get worse.
I had that problem a long time ago on my '91 ZX6D. It was my fault cause when I missed a few shifts when I first got the bike I just pulled in the clutch and put it back in gear. The thing would slam in but it went. All it took was a few good slams like that and the shift dog was mangeled.
I lost 2nd gear and it cost a pretty penny to fix it all. My big thing was I waited, so more damage happened. If I had got it fixed as soon as it started missing I would have saved alot.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
For us less mechanically inclined, what exactly are Shift Dogs?

:D

·
Registered
270 Posts
Dieder said:
How come I can engine brake in 2nd gear from high RPM without popping into neutral around 6K?!?!

Bike, '91 EX500
The oil was changed less than 200 miles ago. The bike is new (to me) with 16K miles. Is there a problem with the tranny or just my newbie riding style?

Thanks
Pretty common problem for ex500's. I remember looking for solutions when I had my ex500 just in case it started happening to me. The three solutions I found were:

1. Don't engine brake from such high rpm's in second...

2. Undercut the gears - expensive - requires cracking open the gear box and grinding the teeth on the shift dogs to sharpen the original angle..

3. Install a Factory shift kit. Cheaper, but kinda like a bandaid...doesn't really fix the problem, but makes it go away for a while...

So #1 is by far the easiest...just take it a little easy on your bike in second gear :D

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
oops gotta read my posts better.

I canNOT engine brake. I guess I'll just have to remember to shift to 3rd. It doesnt seem to happen in anyother gear. Is 2nd the only problem gear?

I have riden this bike for less than 200 miles, I may not have been as gentle with it as I should but I havent had any missed shifts, and I always use the clutch (that the one on the right, right? :p)

This is a $400 bike (with a parts bike) so I expected some problems. Is this something I should be alarmed by? I do have an extra engine with a nice big "rod-vent hole" I know that one had less miles I think I'll rip the gears out before I junk it.

I am running moto specific 20-50w dino oil. Will a change in viscosities or to synth help/hurt any?

The Factory shift kit.... What does it do? and what are the advantages and disadvantages?

·
Registered
270 Posts
Dieder said:
Is 2nd the only problem gear?

I am running moto specific 20-50w dino oil. Will a change in viscosities or to synth help/hurt any?

The Factory shift kit.... What does it do? and what are the advantages and disadvantages?
It seems to be mainly a problem with second gear. Haven't heard of the problem in any other gears.

The Factory shift kit uses a much heavier shift detent spring. It will make switching gears smoother and apparently helps reduce friction in the shift mechanism (helps the gears engage quicker)

·
Registered
24 Posts
logain10 said:
The Factory shift kit uses a much heavier shift detent spring. It will make switching gears smoother and apparently helps reduce friction in the shift mechanism (helps the gears engage quicker)
I thought that spring was lighter, and the wheel had ball-bearings?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts