Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all.

I would like to bring your attention to an issue that may be very real. I am not allowed to link to the original post yet, so I will copy and past the issue here. Please read and add your imput on the subject, prefferably through the original post which can be found in the 600rr.net Crash forums. This may be a very real issue. I will do my best to update this thread as well as the one on 600rr.net.

FOLLOWING IS THE COPIED THREAD:

Hello my fellow riders!

As some of you may remember, a while back, I was asking about a slight shimmy in the front end of my 2005 CBR600RR. Well... this little shimmy may be more dangerous then it seems.

About 1 month after that post, in a low speed left hand turn, the front simply imploded and down I went. The bike hit the ground hard enough on the front to simply snap the left bar-end weight completely off. Next thing I know, a guardrail is comming really close lol. I am fine, but the bike hit the guardrail and has some extensive damage.

About the same time I wrote my post on these boards I called the dealership that sold me the bike and they told me 1 of 2 things was more then likely the problem concerning the front shimmy: 1. I did not know how to treat THAT particular bike or, 2. I was putting to much weight on the front. They did NOT offer to bring the bike in to check it out. They told me a good investment to midigate the "rider error" would be a steeringdamper, which I promply purchased. While this did stabilize the front, somewhat, the feeling was still there and my gut was telling me that it was not me. I did, however, trust in the techs and decided to work on putting less weight on the front. This is where I am at fault simply for being to trusting of the "experts".

Now here is the warning part...
I have been riding sportbikes for the last 5-6 years. I have the basic MSF course, the advanced MSF course and tracktime. I used to ride my bike hard in the canyons, but that was a year or so ago and I have since then realized that I should save that kind of riding for he track.
After the accident the CHP were out and inspected the road for any signs of a spill which may have caused a loss of traction. They found none. From my point of view the front forks simply imploded after about 2 hours of normal country riding. The dealership where I purchased the bike are very apprehensive to checking the bike for errors so I did some searching on the net and found that I am not the only one who has had this happen with the '05 600RR. There are accounts of at least 5-6 other people, thus far, that have come forth and stood their ground about this being a mechanical issue and not the normal "rider error". I have been in contact with one person who send his forks to GPSusspension where the expert tore the shocks appart and noted a BROKEN FRONT FORK SPRING. It has since come to my attention that others have been experiencing this shimmy in the '05 600RR which leads me to believe that there may well be something seriously wrong with a batch of these bikes.

Help please...
I would love for you all to check with your local dealers, friends, susspension guru's and see if you can, together with myself, try to dig up some cold hard facts so that IF this happens to anyone they will not just be brushed off by their dealership/insurance company. I personally believe that Honda need to be informed, and take a stand on this issue, even if it is only .5% of total sales that experience this problem.
Every single one of us is riding on 2 wheels and, regardless of rider skill, a severe mechanical failure will put you on your ass very fast. Every single person riding a sportbike is in one way or another trusting his life to the manufacturer and as such we deserve to be treated as more then just numbers and percentages. If even 1 person gets killed because of this it would, and should, be a tragedy.
So... Please help me shed some light on this issue and please take everyone seriously when they ask about headshake, shimmy or "squishy" feelings regarding the front end. Insist that they send their bike in for a serious checkup BEFORE something happens.

If anyone would like to contact me personally about this please feel free to email me at [email protected] and please add "Regarding 600RR" in the title or it will most likely get deleted by my spam filter.
I will try my best to keep you all updated on the progress of this. I am calling GPSusspension on Monday and am going to talk to the expert there myself. I will also be calling the dealership and getting an update on the bike the same day.

Thank you very much!
Sincerely;
Erlend Dresskell

·
Registered
88 Posts
hmmmmmmmmm........
That hasn't happened to me yet, that 'squishy', shimmy, soft front end feeling.
:think

Thanks for the heads up. I have a '05 RR bought in Oct 1st, bought new, put 3500 miles on it so far.

So the problem you stated is that the fork basically had a crack inside it and snapped when you leaned. That's messed up. Do you think only a certain batch have this sort of problem?

By the way, how old was/is your bike? How many miles?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The problem has been identified as a faulty front fork seal. The seal simply gave out and I lost fluid and preassure in my left forktube.

As far as other issues... there are a lot of people who I have talked to recently who simply do NOT trust the front end on the 05 600RR because they say "it is made out of the wrong matterials and has a tendency to break". I am currently looking into VIN numbers and trying to find if it is a bad batch.

My buke was bought right after summer, august, has 2700 miles on it and has been riden normally. It is a sportbike so... come on... but yeah. I don't stunt and I don't kneedrag anymore.

I'll keep you all posted. Going to take this problem to Honda tomorrow.

Erlend

·
It's not the speed that kills, it's the sudden sto
1,920 Posts
Damn, thats serious, its probably the first bad thing I have ever heard about a honda. I've considered getting one many times, but I dont have the money for an 05, thats for sure.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I too have an 05 600 RR and I noticed sometimes under braking some chattering. I'm not sure if its the same issue, but I don't have as much confidence in the front end of the RR as I did in my F4i's front end. Could be the pads but the bike only has 1100 miles on it now and its been doing it since the beginning.

·
C.A.M. SQUAD
852 Posts

i have an 03 RR with the standard forks. a fellow RR rider just recently swapped out his 03 forks for the 05 RR inverted forks. i also was thinking of doing the same but now hearing this, maybe i'll just leave it alone.
i'll keep my fellow RR owners informed of this issue just to play it safe.

·
ride the pig Gir!
62 Posts
I have the chattering under braking going on with my '05 as well. I figured it was just the pads.

Flinx

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That chatter is exactly the same problem that I had prior to crash.

Could you do me a favor and send me your VIN number and some info about your bike, mile and all that good stuff please.

[email protected]

Thanks!
Erlend

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
First I've heard of this... I was an f4i owner when the CCT became an issue and rumors started flying. I'm not sure I buy into all this "a lot of people" and "someone" talk. Let's get some proof rather than a single faulty fork seal. :confused

Chattering can come in for a number of reasons--- suspension being set up incorrectly is definitely one.

·
Wannabe racer................
2,520 Posts
Ya..........um...................two things:

1. I don't care WHO told you to get a damper..............a damper is not necessary for street riding; no matter how hard you ride. It would be better to learn what you as a rider are doing wrong than buy a damper to cover up some other issue (be it bike or rider).

2. I own an '05 rr...............it's my new race bike for this year. Rode it at CMP during the Turkey day track day they had last November. I did go down because the front washed out on me.

I though it was due to old ass scrubs that I had put on it...........guess I'm gonna have to look a little closer.........

·
Registered
323 Posts
In any case, if you knew the bike was not working properly, why did you continue to ride hard enough to crash? Seems, you should have taken a closer look before the accident.
Not trying to be an ass, but any experienced rider checks his/her bike for problems on a routine basis, no? A blown fork seal should be quite noticeable.:confused

·
2,520 Posts
Slowman said:
A blown fork seal should be quite noticeable.:confused
That's what I figured..................but if the internals are prone to damage as well.......................:(

Man! I wish I wasn't getting underway.................I don't have a way to check this myself before the race weekend! :shake

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The bike was checked prior to the ride, which I allways do, and the seal was not leaking at all. According to the dealership the broken seal did not have any dirt around it and there was no damage to the tire, fender, brakes or the forktubes so they were telling me that the possibility that the seal ruptured during the ride is very likely.

Now just a slight disclaimer...
I am NOT saying that the 05 600RR is faulty or that Honda suck. Once this all get's resolved I would still like to be riding a 600RR because I like how the bike rides in general. If this is a "bad batch" or anything like that then shit happens. All I am trying to figure out is who and how many other people have had this problem in the past, and if there are a lot of people who have had issues this is something that Honda need to take seriously.

Sargeek1975;
I recently talked to a suspension expert at GPSuspension and he told me that one thing he can say for SURE is that the springrate on the 05 600RR is rediculously low compared to the other supersport bikes, thus making the front very very soft from the factory.

My problem now is that even after the dealership found a faulty front fork seal Honda will NOT take any action or responcibility for that fork seal simply because the bike has a stering damper. Had I modified the forktubes, internals or changed the oil in the forks to a different weight or brand then I can understand them taking that possition. But for a simple stearingdamper... come on...

Thus far, only through 2 messageboards, I have about 10+ people telling me that they have had some sort of issue with the front as well. This is, to me, a rather large amount of people who seem to have an issue with this. I have everything from people telling me that the 05 front is junk, built with substandard materials to keep the cost in-line with the other 600 supersport bikes to people simply not trusting it due to how it feels.

Regardless of pre-ride inspection, dissregard my case for a sec, if there is a mechanical error the manufacturer needs to take a stand when it comes to their product. In my oppinion blowing cases like this off simply by trying to prove that the rider did not inspect the bike well enough or that, because of a stearing damper being installed, they will simply void the waranty and pretend that the forkseal never ruptured is really not good enough.

Anyway... I am really very glad to see that this topic is getting some attention. Please keep it comming.

Erlend

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
So I am a little worried now.... I recently got an 06 - 600RR.... Has there been any reports of the front end issues on this bike ?

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
I deal with Honda warranty daily... is your dealership saying they won't cover the fork seals? Are you still under warranty? I have not seen any similar complaints come into my service department, but that doesn't mean that I just haven't seen them... if a customer has an issue, we always recommend they bring it in, and have one of the techs ride and/or inspect for the problem (better safe than sorry).

I would suggest calling Honda Customer Assistance. If the dealership isn't willing to "go to bat" for you, sometimes you have to stand up for yourself. Explain to Honda that your dealership was the one that recommended the steering damper to you in the first place. Honda is generally pretty good to work with as far as warranty, as long as the dealer is on your side, and willing to make your case strongly for you.

Good luck.

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
Update... got my first phone call about 05 CBR600rr fork seals being out this morning. (ironic, eh?) Should see the bike Wednesday. I did call Honda techline, and they were unaware of a problem with them. Most may be being covered under warranty, and they may not be aware of the problem yet... or there may not be a big problem.

·
Lean the Frak over!
2,029 Posts
So is this a recall now? I hope so because Honda's alwasy been pretty good about recalls.

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
tikki50 said:
So is this a recall now? I hope so because Honda's alwasy been pretty good about recalls.
There is no recall. As of right now, Honda is not even aware af a greater than average incidence rate. Every component on every bike, has a rate of failure. Maybe the components are failing from rocks chipping at the fork tubes, maybe they are from people doing wheelies, or cinching the bike down to hard while trailering, or maybe just a faulty seal...

Right now, there is nothing of serious concern... if the bike is under original warranty, they should repair the damaged seals under warranty.

·
2,520 Posts
Erlend said:
Sargeek1975;
I recently talked to a suspension expert at GPSuspension and he told me that one thing he can say for SURE is that the springrate on the 05 600RR is rediculously low compared to the other supersport bikes, thus making the front very very soft from the factory.

Agreed................Honda has been like that for years. I had to put stiffer springs into my front shocks on my F4 to race it last year.

But I was talking about a damper.

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
sargeek1975 said:1. I don't care WHO told you to get a damper..............a damper is not necessary for street riding; no matter how hard you ride. It would be better to learn what you as a rider are doing wrong than buy a damper to cover up some other issue (be it bike or rider)./B]

Wow !

Someone on CF actually knows the facts about steering dampers.

Careful, Sargeek: folks will come out of the woodwork to tell you that they ride hard enough to warrant one, and that you apparently don't know what you're talking about. ;)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts