Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

Should the post count be taken away all together?

• Yes

Votes: 42 65.6%
  • No

Votes: 22 34.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
CF's Official Bookie and Trivia God
9,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay so all thsi talk about Post whoreing and all that crapp we all voiced our opinions and a few more time then others. Big deal...I suggest a vote right now
A simple yes or no
Should we delete the post count from the page
I hope the mods, and Rez will take thsi into serious consideration because I am being serious about this
I think we should, It will free up space (even allow us to put our bikes next to our names instead of posts:redflip ) and also save room on the board because there will be no more need to list members by post count and so on
Just trying to help

Peace Out

·
Registered
11,198 Posts
no we shouldnt, the post count is not the real reason why the post whores post...
we're doing it to have FUN! and to make other people laugh!

·
9,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Another thing...for those voting NO
Do you think the post count should be erased after reaching a certain number and be set back at Zero?? Or just let it run up to the max (whatever that may be)

Peace Out

·
Registered
571 Posts
so if you don't care about your post count, then why not dump it all together? :confused Your posts will still make me laugh regardless, so it should be all good. Oh and you just admitted your a post whore lol.

·
Registered
4,891 Posts
I say, zap it from visibility. If you click profile, then you can see it. Having it omitted from beneath your avatar may help. It can't hurt, so why not try it?

Just noticed that a certain someone had their count set back to zero. When did that happen?

·
Insomniac
891 Posts
MAAH STUD said:
Another thing...for those voting NO
Do you think the post count should be erased after reaching a certain number and be set back at Zero?? Or just let it run up to the max (whatever that may be)

Peace Out
i dont think it should be deleted as i dont feel its the culprit, but if it happens to be reset as in z's case so be it. i've just about run out of things to say on this i guess. whatever happens so be it, i dont care.

·
Registered
11,198 Posts
WickedGixxer1K said:
so if you don't care about your post count, then why not dump it all together? :confused Your posts will still make me laugh regardless, so it should be all good.
I am just saying, don't remove it if y ou hope to stop post whoring, because it wont...

·
9,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ziadel said:
no we shouldnt, the post count is not the real reason why the post whores post...
we're doing it to have FUN! and to make other people laugh!
Ohh I know Ziadel, I mean I am in the same boat as you, I am just thinkign of the "big picture" and trying to make everyone some what happy
We can still be post whores and not have a post count :redflip

Peace Out

·
Registered
12,186 Posts
I dont think it should be changed.

What happened to your count Ziadel?

·
Registered
11,198 Posts
EpyonXero said:

What happened to your count Ziadel?

Well, ther was a rumor that mods were gonna reset to zero when I reached 1k...
I asked rez, he said no, but apparently no one bothered to fix the board so it would'nt oll back to 1 when I got 1000 posts..
oh well, I'm just not important enough :p
I'll be back up there soon anyways..
besides, I'm still the first one to reach 1k :redflip

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Milo said:
I say, zap it from visibility. If you click profile, then you can see it. Having it omitted from beneath your avatar may help. It can't hurt, so why not try it?
That makes good sense. If you want to check out someone's post whore status, then you have to work to check it out. :D That's a good idea.

·
Registered
571 Posts
ziadel said:
Not flaming or anything, and I know you are joking around, but you are hurting your case with these comments. This is not a race and its only hurting how others feel about you instead of helping. Anyway, you made it there first, you won, and its over. So lets go back to talking bikes and whatever else.

·
9,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just figure this way Ziadel, Chammer, Jump, myself and anyone else who like to voice our opinions, give advice, or keep eachother entertained while stuck at work (or home in my case :redflip ) and also keeping the people who don;t do it from going "Ohh he's just trying to have the most posts so he looks like a hot shot, or whatever else
Keeping the whores safe from the rest of the world :redflip

Peace Out

·
Registered
11,198 Posts
MAAH STUD said:
"Ohh he's just trying to have the most posts so he looks like a hot shot, or whatever else
Keeping the whores safe from the rest of the world :redflip

Peace Out

Dude, I know I'm a hotshot...

and WickedGixxer1K,
I'm not really trying to make a case, although it would be nice when they fix this bug for them to add 1k onto my post count *hint hint* but it's not really important..
I'm haveing a ball, and I think many others are having a ball with me, thats whats important :)

·
Registered
294 Posts
Milo said:

Good Idea, you can still keep track of your posts its just not out in the open for everyone to view.

·
Moderator,
5,464 Posts
I think that the post whoring will tend to level off at a point. When people make real posts and stop being worried about it, it makes it easier.

I tend to look at the post count to see if the person has been on the board some, or if they are a brand new person posting. Alot of times there are good things to be found with the counts.

·
Registered
571 Posts
yeah if they keep the post count you should get your 1000 back, i won't dispute that. I guess I can't explain myself well enough though. What I am saying is that if I thought someone was out to get me or something to that effect, I sure wouldn't give em any ammunition for their gun. If you like to post a lot, cool. I just wouldn't keep bringing up the post count cuz that will just get it dropped, which is fine by me anyway lol. I remember being dogged by a mod on an "old" site for my count being low, so he basically said no one really cared what I thought anyway. So now, I am all for just dropping it.

·
Insomniac
891 Posts
maah: you are absolutly correct. im a programmer and for the past few months i've had virtually no work. so basicallty all i have are forums to keep myself busy for 8-9 hours a day. has been said a million times, this is why i post a lot, but not for the count.

ziadel: exactly, im having fun, you're having fun, just about everyone is having fun. so what exactly is the problem?

also, as was said in one of the other threads, yes, adding entry's to the databases makes for slow page loads because the database has to find the selected posts, then feed them to the script. however, indexing the database tables (which any admin should know about and run quite often on any decent size db and up), will help this out tremendously. indexing the database tables makes the database work less to produce the same data with less queries. less queries mean faster database response and faster page loads.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
ziadel said:

I'll be back up there soon anyways..
I don't see how anyone can say this and tell us that they don't make any posts for the sole purpose of raising their post count...

I'm all for getting rid of it, and the having to view the profile to see the post count is an excellent idea...

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.