Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
How about a thread on everyone's setup. This will hopefully help other riders with similar setups get the most out of there bikes.

Bike: 2003 Yamaha WR250F
Modifications:
General:
ZR1 suspension front-rear, Moose hand gaurds, Moose front and rear bags, Radiator gaurds, Engine gaurd, trip computer, working on making it street legal)

Performance:
FMF Power Bomb Header and Q series exhaust. YZ exhaust cam, James Dean Jetting Kit, PowerNow carb insert,and Twin Air Backfire Filter. Moose clutch plates and YZ clutch springs.

Winter setup:
Temp's range from 30 to 60
Elevation range 500 to 6000 ft
Humidity 70-90 percent

Tuning
Carb setup:
blue marked needle (from the James Dean Jet Kit) in the 5th from top clip position
#42 Pilot Jet with 1 3/4
#180 main jet.
The PowerNow may needle 1 clip position leaner (middle clip slot) if the jetting feels rich with this.

Fuel: 50% 92 octane, 50% 110 race

Next......

·
Registered
890 Posts
2004 KTM EXC 300

Mods: Rekluse auto-clutch, Cycra Probend handguards, Rooster Performance skidplate + rotor guards + radiator guards, LTR suspension revalve with heavier springs

Future Mods: Bar-mount rear brake, Scott's steering damper, rewound stator and H4 light, Cyclops helmet light, IMS 3.4 gallon tank

·
Registered
207 Posts
1997 YZ250

- sub-exhaust port opened more (modified exhaust valve) for more/earlier midrange hit
- cylinder raised .5mm (double base-gaskets) to advance port timing for more top-end
- squish clearance set at 1mm (head shaved), big boost in power everywhere!
- V-Force II reed cage (extended over-rev)
- had a Pro-Circuit pipe, but the stocker has more power everywhere, especially peak
- MX Tech fork valves, shimstack done by myself
- X-ring chain (best mod yet!)
- swingarm/rear linkage modified by myself with tiny grease zerks for easy lubing
- Motion Pro Terminator clutch cable
- Applied Racing top triple clamp
- Tag Metals fat bar

Jetting: Main in the 160-170 range depending on conditions, Pilot is a 45 (?). Needle set at mid-clip position. Running 32:1 full-synthetic.

Upgrades in work: Head chamber machined opened a tad, rear shock rebuilt/revalved, and larger capacity fuel tank.

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sparkxx599
can you pop open your carb and list all the settings along with what type of fuel and mixture you run.

·
Registered
627 Posts
98 ktm 620

ported, shaved, valve spring kit, ti-retainers, megacycle cam, delorto carb, everyone and their mother airbox mod, big gun tail and header. I may be forgetting something. . . I cant seem to find my jetting settings, and im far too lazy to pull the bowl off.

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
01Lightning said:
98 ktm 620

ported, shaved, valve spring kit, ti-retainers, megacycle cam, delorto carb, everyone and their mother airbox mod, big gun tail and header. I may be forgetting something. . . I cant seem to find my jetting settings, and im far too lazy to pull the bowl off.
ohh come on you can get the setting for us...please...:D

Also who did you have port the head?

·
Registered
10,161 Posts
04 CRF250X

Cycra Pro Bend bark busters (triple clamp mount)
Flatland Racing skip plate
Flatland Racing radiator guards
Scotts steering damper

Airbox hogged out
Twin Air filter (stock screen removed)
Exhaust baffle removed
JD jet kit (haven't a clue what jets though? Lance did it :D )

·
BE SAFE AND RIDE SMART
5,602 Posts
I will be happy to help out on the dirt bikes though the winter.
I also have a little spair time now at night for some street bike stuff.

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Pete, I just talked to Lance..since your carb was a mother to get into... how about looking at what is left in your JD kit along with what was recommended by James Dean in the instruction sheet. My guess is your running the blue needle, 185 main jet, 40 pilot jet with the clip at the middle position.

·
Registered
10,161 Posts
TLRMAN said:
I will be happy to help out on the dirt bikes though the winter.
I also have a little spair time now at night for some street bike stuff.
Oh yeah? I'm thinking of getting a FMF Q pipe for mine, and may have to adjust the jetting again? And it does stil bog some times grabbing a handfull off a closed or slightly open throttle.

·
Registered
10,161 Posts
SV996R said:
Pete, I just talked to Lance..since your carb was a mother to get into... how about looking at what is left in your JD kit along with what was recommended by James Dean in the instruction sheet. My guess is your running the blue needle, 185 main jet, 40 pilot jet with the clip at the middle position.
I'll look at the recommendation again... I'm pretty sure we (well Lance ;) ) went with exactly what was recommened as my mods matched what JD had in the kit. I'll post up when I find it.

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Pete,
with it bogging at part or off throttle I would look at lowing the main Jet. If you have a 185 then go to a 180, change your clip to the 5th position then check your Pilot jet along with how many turn out the setting is. This is what James Dean recommended to me with the same scenario. You should also try the PowerNow carb insert when you do the pipe. The FMF Q series exhaust can flows nice, forest approved and prety low db.

·
Registered
10,161 Posts
Umm.. that sounds like complicated carbicator stuff? :confused

Lance, you were saying you would work on dirt bikes now??? :D

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
GixxerPete said:
04 CRF250X

Cycra Pro Bend bark busters (triple clamp mount)
Flatland Racing skip plate
Flatland Racing radiator guards
Scotts steering damper

I noticed other people with the steering dampers. I have heard of the advantages of them on street bikes, but what do they do for you on a dirt bike? Would it be helpful on my TTR?

SV996R said:
Pete,
with it bogging at part or off throttle I would look at lowing the main Jet. If you have a 185 then go to a 180, change your clip to the 5th position then check your Pilot jet along with how many turn out the setting is. This is what James Dean recommended to me with the same scenario. You should also try the PowerNow carb insert when you do the pipe. The FMF Q series exhaust can flows nice, forest approved and prety low db.
My TTR tends to bog when I really pop the throttle from idle. After opening the airbox and putting on the FMF pipe, I rejetted and found that setting the idle a bit higher really helped, but it still tends to do it unless I have the throttle cracked a little. Should I change the position of the needle? Seems like it should really pop.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Bike: 2004 KTM 525 SMR

Mods:
Hot Cam
High Compression Piston
Big Bore (+7mm!) kit by aurora cycle
Flowed head
Slipper clutch
17x 5.5 rear wheel
16.5 front wheel
6 pot front brake
made swiss cheese out of air box
remove stock air filter
k&n air filter
custom number plate graphics
R-tech outlaw race gas
pilot jet is stock, fuel screw 2 turns out
main is something like a 240 (!!!) now.

Exhaust:
Stock for the moment. Most likely Leovice or CRD (whichever is quieter)

guestimate says 65hp with stock pipe.

Still to do:
14mm offset triple clamps.

Bike 2000 TTR 125
Mods:
Kx 85 forks (lowered 3")
tag top and bottom clamps for kx 85
BBR swingarm
Zipp cam
Head flowed + ported
vented exhaust valve cap
Bike Bore kit (61mm piston=157cc)
Supertrapp exhaust
22mm roundslide carb
K&n pod filter (doesn't use airbox).
stock bars off KTM 520 sx.
Rims: 17x2.5 front, 17x3.5 rear and 16x1.5 rear

best guestimate: 14hp

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.