Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
CF's Official Bookie and Trivia God
9,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay I am curious what material is it best to practice on if you want to practice bike and car painting. I know it will be two diffrent materials but I am curious what you would reccomend
I am going to be rebuilding a truck soon and I will want to paint it myself, and also when I get my bike after I move it will be used so I'll wanna customize the paint when I get a chance

Peace Out

·
Insomniac
891 Posts
try to grab a scrap piece of the material you wish to paint on as this will give the truest representation. if you cant do that, a simple piece of scrap wood should do nicely.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Here's an idea that would definietly get you in trouble if you get caught...

Try painting street signs...:p Make the 45 mph into 145 and such...

just kidding. if you can't practice on something like an old fender or hood or trunk, maybe you could practice on the truck itself... as far as a bike, definitely something plastic...

·
Registered
361 Posts
I own a custom shop where I paint,polish and do performance work.I recommend practicing on the exact materials that you are going to be painting. wait for some rash panels to come your way and practice the prep work as well.ABS plastic panels require different materials than fiberglass, and metal car/truck parts are different as well. make sure you check with the local paint shop to get mixtures correct on your paint products and get a decent paint gun.ask the paint shop what materials to use for the application you are working on and start with spraying acrylic enamel with a hardner and don't forget the fisheye eliminator. :D you also want to get the right reducer for the temp. that you are spraying in.

·
King of something
4,583 Posts
Are you talking about painting on it like a mural or you talking autobody painting.
If your talking about spraying it as in Autobody just remember this.........

Sand, primer, sand, wetsand, paint coat #1, sand, wetsand, paint coat #2, wetsand, paint coat #3, wetsand then buff. UNLESS you are going to clearcoat it. Then simply spray the clear after you wetsand your last coat. Then wetsand the clear coat and buff.
I recommend Dupont products only and Imron paint is my favorite although its around 100 bucks a gallon. Otherwise Dupont Centari is the next best thing.

PRACTICE,PRACTICE,PRACTICE. Laying down a good paint job is very difficult. I find it much easier on a motorcycle because of the smaller parts and less taping off.
Keep the paint good and WET as you spray it and overlap as you spray. Make each coat as thick as possible without runs. And don't cheat yourself by not sanding between coats. The quality will be tens times better and you can lay a thicker paint job on.
Wetsanding is most improtant. 1200 to 1800 grit works well.
When your all done and you notice orange peel just wetsand some more and buff. I suggest not using a clearcoat unless you use 2 coats so that it too can be wetsanded to a smooth gloss finish.

·
Super Moderator
23,498 Posts
Just ask a body shop if they have any wrecked body parts you can have. Most will just give ya them just to get rid of them

1 - 6 of 6 Posts