Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
I was talking to a buddy of mine who is an ex-AMA privateer and he said, by late Sept/Oct, the weather conditions become less and less suitable for racing in the US, and most teams devote their off-season time for testing. Dunlop/Michelin and the factory teams have testing calendars (R&D to production to actual track testing) within a certain timeframe.

They havent necessarily dropped races. Some tracks that were removed have been replaced with another. For example, Loudon was dropped for safety reasons (always got rained out) and California Speedway was put in place. There were also more double headers in the last season. So in place of going from track to track, double headers came into play. Money is also a big issue. AMA could no longer afford Willow Springs so they dropped it from the program. If it were not for the historical significance of Daytona to motorcycle racing, I would say Daytona would be on top of the list to get axed. Its one of (if not the most) dangerous tracks for racing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts