Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

Preliminary AMA road racing calander

680 views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  AznSportbiker73 
#1 ·
Cut and pasted from cyclenews.com
=====================================
AMA Pro Racing has issued the following release regarding the U.S. Superbike Championship schedule:

AMA Pro Racing announced today a tentative schedule for the 2003 AMA Chevy Truck U.S. Superbike Championship.

"We've got the majority of the schedule firmly in place for 2003 and are making good progress each week on the few events that are still listed as tentative," said Scott Hollingsworth, CEO of AMA Pro Racing. "We are also actively exploring some additional opportunities for 2003 and beyond, but wanted to share what's confirmed for the 2003 schedule now to assist teams in their planning process."

March 5-9 - Daytona International Speedway, Daytona Beach, FL

April 4-6 - California Speedway, Fontana, CA (Doubleheader)

May 2-4 - Infineon Raceway, Sonoma, CA - TENTATIVE (Doubleheader)

May 16-18 - Road Atlanta, Braselton, GA - TENTATIVE (Doubleheader)

May 30 - June 1 - Pikes Peak International Raceway, Fountain, CO

June 6-8 - Road America, Elkhart Lake, WI (Doubleheader)

June 27-29 - Brainerd International Raceway, Brainerd, MN - TENTATIVE

July 10-13 - Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca, Monterey, CA **

July 25-27 Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course, Lexington, OH (Doubleheader)

August 29-31 Virginia International Raceway, Alton, VA (Doubleheader)

**AMA & WSB combined weekend

Dates and locations are subject to change.

See less See more
#2 ·
at least the season went on past July
it was so stupid that riding season was only half over and AMA had wrapped up its racing.
I remember in years past, the season would go until late sept, early october. Granted there were long breaks(all of august), but there was still something to look forward to.

And why do they keep dropping races?
Willow Springs was always a good race, no more Pocono, as well as other tracks.
the way they are going it will be a 2 race series at Daytona and laguna.:rolleyes

#3 ·
I was talking to a buddy of mine who is an ex-AMA privateer and he said, by late Sept/Oct, the weather conditions become less and less suitable for racing in the US, and most teams devote their off-season time for testing. Dunlop/Michelin and the factory teams have testing calendars (R&D to production to actual track testing) within a certain timeframe.

They havent necessarily dropped races. Some tracks that were removed have been replaced with another. For example, Loudon was dropped for safety reasons (always got rained out) and California Speedway was put in place. There were also more double headers in the last season. So in place of going from track to track, double headers came into play. Money is also a big issue. AMA could no longer afford Willow Springs so they dropped it from the program. If it were not for the historical significance of Daytona to motorcycle racing, I would say Daytona would be on top of the list to get axed. Its one of (if not the most) dangerous tracks for racing.

#4 ·
The AMA did not drop Willow Springs, Willow Springs dropped the AMA due to exhorbitant/ extortive fees, sanctioning fees in other words, that the AMA required from the track. Willow Springs then created their own race series.
Mark

#6 ·
yamahagirl said:
why is BIR tennetive?? the date or are they dropping it???
Wasn't there a management shakeup at that track not to long ago? That could be why. Dunno:shrug

#7 ·
I'd really like to go to Mid-Ohio, and VIR this year. Last year they were only two weeks apart, and I actually missed out on both of them. Hopefully this year will be different :D

I also think that spreading the season out a little more wouldn't kill them. Less double headers and a longer schedule would be the ticket. We'd get to see more venues too.

The double headers can be nice because you get two races in a weekend, but with the way they are televised, have the time you don't get to see both. :( Or you don't realize your watching race 2 instead of race 1 until the anouncer says something like "Hayden is running well, and is looking to repeat yesterday's win."

#9 ·
didnt they add anthor round at the new barber track in Ala.? I think i read somewhere that it would be a sept round??:confused

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.