Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Moderator,
14,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is kinda interesting I thought.... :rolleyes I don't read too many Sports Stories Like This One.

NFL fines Bengals' Kitna for wearing cap marked with cross
Dec. 18, 2003
SportsLine.com wire reports

CINCINNATI -- Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Jon Kitna said Thursday the NFL fined him $5,000 for wearing a baseball-style cap marked with a cross.

In wearing the cap at his postgame news conferences, Kitna violated an NFL rule prohibiting the wearing of non-NFL apparel immediately after a game. Television footage of Kitna, an avid reader of the Bible, showed him wearing the red cap marked with a white cross.

"That's what happens when you don't follow the rules," Kitna said. "I won't wear it any more. The Bible says submit to the authorities placed above you. The authorities say that's the rule."

Kitna said he plans to appeal the fine, because he thought the NFL rule just applied to competitors' products.

The NFL often levies fines against players for what the league judges to be uniform violations.

AP NEWS
The Associated Press News Service

Copyright 2003, The Associated Press, All Rights Reserve

·
Elusive second member of CF
2,377 Posts
JayMan said:
This is kinda interesting I thought.... :rolleyes I don't read too many Sports Stories Like This One.
Interesting how? Because it was a cross? Do you feel they are coming down on him too hard? Would have matter what hat he was wearing, could have been an american flag and he would have been fined, rules are rules. Although stupid rules. :shake

·
Registered
16,959 Posts
Well, the fine is more for non-authorized apparel, not religious apparel.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Kevin said:
For all of you who don't like to show you are a Christian, here's another reason for you.
huh? :confused another reason for what? not showing or showing? i don't get it.

·
Moderator,
14,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Re: Pro Football Player Fined For Wearing Cap With a Cross on it

YardDog24 said:
Interesting how? Because it was a cross? Do you feel they are coming down on him too hard? Would have matter what hat he was wearing, could have been an american flag and he would have been fined, rules are rules. Although stupid rules. :shake
OK, maybe interesting wasn't the right word here but still, $5,000??? :shake These rules are stupid. I've been a football fan all my life but this penalty is dumb. The one thing about this player though, I hope his faith remains strong throughout this ordeal as I'm sure it will. But yeah BG is right, its non-authorized apparel, but of course the non-authorized symbol being a cross is giving the media a field day with this story.

·
Moderator,
7,795 Posts
rules are rules.

:down for breaking it.

:thumb for admitting it.

:down for appealing it.

ignorance is no excuse for the law.

although... if it's found that the rules were so vividly gray
that they now have to be re-written b/c of this situation
then perhaps he will win his appeal.

·
glad to be here
968 Posts
"In wearing the cap at his postgame news conferences, Kitna violated an NFL rule prohibiting the wearing of non-NFL apparel immediately after a game."

I wonder how this particular rule is worded, because I see guys wearing suits and "regular" clothes with no logos or anything at post game press conferences all the time.:confused

Rules are rules, though, and when you sign the contract you are agreeing to abide by them.

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
Same type rules in MLB too. Saw a player get fined once in the post season cus he showed up to his press conference with a non MLB hat.

The cross on this particular hat is what is giving the story its publicity (Go God :D)

Otherwise, if he had been wearing an Olive Garden Hat :crackup, no one would have given a .....................

breadstick! :crackup

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.