Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a question cause I simply don't understand, so I am not bashing anyone or anything.....

So I was working late and I had noticed that in the strip mall, which all shops are closed by now, there was about 5 to 8 cars parked there all spread out. I see them signal each other, they all gather the cars together. They get out of their cars and dude in a white pick up opens the back of his truck and they proceed to sell/buy small things from his car for about 5 min and all go off in different directions.

Well this happens for three weeks every sunday night between 11:45 and midnight. I proceed to take down the white pick up plates, since he is the one car that is there always. I notify the police and stress my concern that something illegal is going on there.

The cops just sit in the parking lot is plain site from 11:30 to midnight. During this time, all the cars are there, but are once again spread out. the white pick up comes into the parking lot, parks for about 2 min, and drives off quickly. All the rest of the cars that are already there do the same over the next 5 min.

So I am frustrated by this as they did not check into anything and rather took a "I will just scare them off" tatic. So the very next sunday... Here comes the white pick up and they usual suspects selling/buying what ever it is. Once again, I call the police and ask for a super. I give him the info and calmly explain what happened last time and since I lived there I was concerned with this activity and behavior of the officer. Well.... that sunday the SAME thing happens again and once again the white pickup comes, see's the cops, and leaves.... WTF??!!

I mean if they were not doing anything illegal, why are all the cars leaving when the cops are there? Obviously they are not STUPID and see the cops and leave, and they appear to have some small amount of organization. so my question is... Why did the police just use the scare tatic and not actually check into it? They never stopped the white pick-up, and waited for them to start dealing anything, they just sat there in plain site and then told me that they witnessed no dealing. Duh!!! who would deal anything right in front of a police car(s)?? I just don't understand why they just sit there and then proceed to tell me it was nothing when I know it is not true

Let me know what I can do other than go there and video tape it, which technically is not my job to do that. I have been trying to remain calm during this, but it is very frustrating. I feel like I have to proove to them that something illegal is going on when I know for certain something is not right with what is going on there.

I know none of the shops are open at that time, cause I am in the only store that is open at that time. all other shops are closed, but one, at 10pm and all cars are gone by 11:15pm. Where these guys are parking, no way could be for the one place that I am at.

Am I wrong and should just let this activity just go? should I do more to get the police to look into it? Am I wrong in getting frustrated with this? Is there anything else I can do?

Thank man

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Call fox 5 news.
They like doing undercover stories.

It might shed some light on the number of issues you are experiencing.

Just a suggestion.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
i'd say you've done about all a little snitch could do....unless you want to start contacting feds while you're at it.

here's a tip...since your store is the only one thats open, they probably already know who's dropped dime on 'em. good luck walking to your car in a dark, empty parking lot.

:rolleyes

·
Registered
4,192 Posts
rekoniz said:
i'd say you've done about all a little snitch could do....unless you want to start contacting feds while you're at it.

here's a tip...since your store is the only one thats open, they probably already know who's dropped dime on 'em. good luck walking to your car in a dark, empty parking lot.

:rolleyes
Well yeah... Duh !

But seriously, I don't think criminals are going to go to a well lit strip mall and conduct their affairs. That's just, well, silly.

Could be a legit thing. I used to be a federal employee. During "training exercises" we'd rendevouz and if we saw cops, security, or just too much scrutiny, we'd roll to another location.

I think you should get a video cam and run up on'em all hard like.

Barry

·
Registered
564 Posts
So you want to slam a guy for caring? People who ignore are almost as bad as the people who do

·
Hoof Hearted
2,820 Posts
Yeah, no shit. That's a pretty ignorant position to take. If they check it out and the guys aren't doing anything then no harm no foul. But it IS pretty unusual for a bunch of cars to meet in a vacant lot late on a sunday night and carry out some sort of business. Especially if they seem to scatter when the cops are around. There was a story on the news a month or two ago about people selling nasty ass vegetables to restaurants like that. One person with a truck would sit at a known place and people would come and buy shit from them. Then that person would take the food back to the restaurant and prepare it in meals. Where did the cheap fruit and vegetables come from? The fucking DUMP. Who knows what those people are doing? But it's certainly suspicious to me and should be checked out IMO. If not by the po-po then by myself with a camera

·
Moderator,
8,601 Posts
What is the probable cause? Unless the area is marked as no trespassing during the hours they are there, then a cop cannot make a stop. There is certainly enough reasonable suspicion to approach and see what is up, but if they take off, you are not justified in making a stop. When you make a phone call, you are calling the patrol guys. The ones who are out there handling every call that comes in. They are not plain clothes surveillance folks. If it is an area where known drug activity occurs, then the narcs might get involved, but you will not see that. They also might watch it for a bit and follow the guys to see where they are going, building a case.

Honestly, it sounds too organized to be drug deals. Does not fit the pattern. For all to meet in an open location seems odd. You can always call during the day and ask for the station commander. Tell him of your concerns and ask for a call back. When you call one sunday night, then again the next sunday night, it is a different squad working. So they will not necessarily know that this is a common occurence. It also depends on how the call taker relays the information to the dispatcher. It might be getting dispatched as a loitering complaint. They are usually pretty good at relaying the citizen complaint accurately, but not always.

Ignore rekoniz, he lives in DC where apathy is an art form. Trying to better the community is not someone a District resident understands. They ignore the problems around them and then complain that someone has not fixed the problem that everyone ignores.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
GoGo Gadget said:
What is the probable cause? Unless the area is marked as no trespassing during the hours they are there, then a cop cannot make a stop. There is certainly enough reasonable suspicion to approach and see what is up, but if they take off, you are not justified in making a stop. When you make a phone call, you are calling the patrol guys. The ones who are out there handling every call that comes in. They are not plain clothes surveillance folks. If it is an area where known drug activity occurs, then the narcs might get involved, but you will not see that. They also might watch it for a bit and follow the guys to see where they are going, building a case.

Honestly, it sounds too organized to be drug deals. Does not fit the pattern. For all to meet in an open location seems odd. You can always call during the day and ask for the station commander. Tell him of your concerns and ask for a call back. When you call one sunday night, then again the next sunday night, it is a different squad working. So they will not necessarily know that this is a common occurence. It also depends on how the call taker relays the information to the dispatcher. It might be getting dispatched as a loitering complaint. They are usually pretty good at relaying the citizen complaint accurately, but not always.

Ignore rekoniz, he lives in DC where apathy is an art form. Trying to better the community is not someone a District resident understands. They ignore the problems around them and then complain that someone has not fixed the problem that everyone ignores.
Thanks for the info, I know the area is not well lit because the HOA wants most of the light turned off around 11:30, so it is pretty dark. I am not sure if they are dealing drug or VCR's, but there is some sort of transaction going on there.. I will call during the day like you said and camly explain to the commander what is going on if it should continue. Usually I don't think twice about stuff like this, but just something about the way they are spread out, signal each other and then quickly do their thing.... use does not seem right.

Any ways.. thanks.

·
Moderator,
8,601 Posts
I think apathy best explains it. They simply do not care until it directly[/i] affects them. Then they wail and beat their chest screaming "Why, why, why..." Someone can be murdered in a busy market, and teh cops will not be able to find any witnesses.

:shrug "I didn't see nothin"

While over zealous Neighborhood Watch Commandos can be trying and annoying, at least ultimately they have a goal that is commendable.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
look, i was only half serious when i made that post. i thought it get a laugh instead of the bitchmade, "I'm gonna tell yo daddy" responses.

Apathy? Nah. Just cause I wouldn't go calling the police on people that I have no idea what they're doing and as far as I could tell, NOT BREAKING ANY LAWS...let alone concerning me in the least...doesn't mean I'm apathetic.

Apathy would be to watch someone get rolled and/or raped in the parking lot and pretending nothing happened or just look the other way.

No..what we have here is essentially a nosy tattle-tail. Like a good, upstanding citizen...this person saw what they believed to be suspicious activity (logic that in itself is fuk'd up on different levels) and reported the strange occurences to the police...which they followed up on and apparently deemed it unneccessary to take further action. But apparently, this was unacceptable to this person? Why? Cause they don't know what someone else is doing essentially.

I'm all for helping out my community. And for those of you that think they know me cause I live in DC, if you really knew me...you'd know how ridiculous calling me "apathetic" is.

But what if these people aren't doing anything illegal...they just don't like LEO's or they're just private? Anyone that sees them should call the police, feds, whatever because it doesn't reflect what you or someone else does?

For ya'lls sake....I hope you're never "harrassed" for doing something someone else considers "out of the ordinary". We have all these useless laws because some other nosy felt they needed to decide what was appropriate for everyone else and decided to concern themselves with other people's business instead of just handling their own.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
btw, cbrf....i apologize for calling you a snitch. i also referred to you as a nosy tattle-tail in the above post but that post is intended to be more general about the situation and not necessarily personal toward you. i don't know you, so i shouldn't do what some have done towards me on here...and thats make judgements based on generalization. so for that i apologize.

if you can't accept my apology, and you'd like to talk about it man to man....i'll be in your parking lot in a white pickup about quarter til midnight Sunday....bring a camera. :D

·
Registered
4,192 Posts
Hahahahahaha....

·
Registered
575 Posts
What's the 800 # to report smoking vehicles? You've already got the make, model, color, and license plate.

This is for everyone: Would you be worried if every weekend cbr's scenario played out near your workplace?

Here's an ugly anicdote: During their rise to power, the Nazi (specifically the SS) were rounding up Germans. Neighbors did nothing about it until they too were rounded up, but by then it was too late.

Here's another: Laci Peterson.

Don't be so quick to dismiss strange activities in your neighborhood.

·
Rule #34
14,509 Posts
hayabusafiend said:
What's the 800 # to report smoking vehicles? You've already got the make, model, color, and license plate.

This is for everyone: Would you be worried if every weekend cbr's scenario played out near your workplace?

Here's an ugly anicdote: During their rise to power, the Nazi (specifically the SS) were rounding up Germans. Neighbors did nothing about it until they too were rounded up, but by then it was too late.

Here's another: Laci Peterson.

Don't be so quick to dismiss strange activities in your neighborhood.

I understand your point Chris. Then you delve into the issue of living your life in fear of your neighbor. Ivan was concerned about the activities of what was going on outside his shop. Rightfully so. The actions did appear suspect. He notified the police who apparently patrolled the area. In his eyes, the response was weak. I can't say either way not having first hand witnessed any of the events.
Ivan did his part. He never mentioned that he felt threatened or scared. He mentioned the activity was suspect, and not knowing what's going on, I agree.
He went a step further as to inquire about the possibility of taping it because, and these are his words, "he must prove they are doing something illegal."
The Laci Peterson murder, had it been reported by someone who may have seen something (there's no proof anything odd was witnessed by anyone until after the fact) could have possibly saved 2 lives. No doubt about it. People throw away old mattresses, go on fishing trips, and clean their trucks everyday.
CBR did his part and was displeased with the outcome even though he is unsure (as gogo stated) that they could possibly be monitored without a visible presence.
I am not sure I can draw the SS/Hitler parallel. There were too many other geo political influences that allowed those events to unfold. I am not sure than calling the cops would have prevented the killing of 6 million jews.
The first US coined minted had the phrase "Mind your business" stamped on the its face. To me, that's still a good phrase to live by.
I am not the type to sit back and allow things I feel are wrong to happen. At the same time, if it's not readily apparent, I am not the type to try and prove why they are wrong.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts