Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
24,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The thoughts down here in the states are....mostly all you guys live no more then a 100 miles north of the American border.

My question is do any of you know people who live north of the line on the map I posted. I just wanted to know if it's some snow covered waste land up there. Any major citys ???, anything besides caribou and bears up there ??? :laughing j/k ...The reason why I ask is we have a new person from our job who says....he lived way up there in canada in the area around Church Hill on the map and said there's alot of people up there and I wanted to call BS but, I rather have the facts first...

·
Registered
24,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oops forgot the map...

Attachments

·
It's not Rocket appliances.
19,663 Posts
something like 90% of the population lives close to the border.

I don't know anybody that far north, but there are some fair sized citys farther than 100 miles(Calgary, Winterpig, Edmonton, Regina, Saskatoon, Whitehorse, Yellowknife, etc)
and that line is closer to 1000 miles than 100 miles

·
Registered
24,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
know that but, he said Church Hill and I tried to fit Edmonton in there along with Halifax below the line cause I do know people live in those places.

·
Mama's Little Joey
14,769 Posts
There's nothing in Churchill but polar bears, sight seers, and asswipes. I hate that town almost as much as I hate Whitehorse:rant Bunch a useless natives begging all the "tourists" for money. there's nothing there, in either town.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Jester27 said:
There's nothing in Churchill but polar bears, sight seers, and asswipes. I hate that town almost as much as I hate Whitehorse:rant Bunch a useless natives begging all the "tourists" for money. there's nothing there, in either town.
It's no better here in Yellowknife

I'm sure Churchill is better then Kugluktuk (Coppermine) that was the most boring place I have ever been!!!:mad

·
Registered
167 Posts
karl_996 said:
something like 90% of the population lives close to the border.

I don't know anybody that far north, but there are some fair sized citys farther than 100 miles(Calgary, Winterpig, Edmonton, Regina, Saskatoon, Whitehorse, Yellowknife, etc)
and that line is closer to 1000 miles than 100 miles
I wouldn't call Yellowknife big, we only have a population of about 20 000

·
Registered
8,570 Posts
You've got to use your head a bit when you think about this. The weather may be a factor with the fact that most live so close to the border. I personally think it has alot to do with the fact that most of those cities are fairly old. And because of that they needed to be as close to other cities and waterways as possible for trading and transport purposes.

It's not like the explorers were walking around one day and thought to themselves, "Holy fuck it just got amazingly cold all of a sudden. Let's put the border right here..."

·
Wannabe Poser
4,235 Posts
I have friends in Sydney. My wife's father is from a small town near St John's. And FYI St. John's is the oldest city in North America.
It's not really that far north as the map suggests because of the curvature. And it's not really that much colder.

·
Wannabe Poser
4,235 Posts
Besides the weather, another big reason there is little civilization much north of the border is because that's where the Canadian Shield starts. That's why you mostly find mining, drilling, and the odd lumbar company way up there.

·
Registered
10,510 Posts
Guido said:
I have friends in Sydney. My wife's father is from a small town near St John's. And FYI St. John's is the oldest city in North America.
It's not really that far north as the map suggests because of the curvature. And it's not really that much colder.
Ya, you can't really draw a straight line, it has to be curved. Newfies get alot of snow in the winter, but it's not as bad as northern Canada.

Don't forget, Santa lives in Canada too :)

·
The hardest button to button.
9,942 Posts
Hell I live in a very "southern" part of Canada and it's already too cold for my liking. I'm ready to get the heck out of dodge and moooooove!!! :truck

·
Wannabe Poser
4,235 Posts
Debs said:
I certainly felt like that yesterday, it was too friggon cold! Generally though, it doesn't get THAT cold up here. I like the snow. It's that freezing rain garbage I could do without. :shake
I love the seasons. Although a steady 25C would be nice, I wouldn't trade it for missing the seasons, plus all the winter sports. beautiful scenery, etc.
And there's no better feeling than those first couple of spring rides! :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts