Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the effect of all that salt they throw down on the roads come wintertime? Do you wash your bike frequently or just hose it off or something? I don't want to have a rustpile come spring :D

·
Registered
27,266 Posts
I would suggest keeping it clean after these winter rides I am sure the salt can make quite a mess. just watch out for all the sand they throw down, makes for a nic eeasy lowside.

TOm

·
Moderator,
8,057 Posts
They don't allow salt on the roads here - afraid it's going to runoff into the ocean and raise the salinity . The slag is just as bad - stuffs pretty brutal on paint and anything polished . I rode the Mille today and it's grungy as hell - for washing the bikes in the winter , I have a spigot in the garage for hot water . Washing a bike in cold water when it's 30deg is grim . I wash the bikes about 3X as often in the winter to keep the shit off and end up lubing the chain more frequently as well .

·
Falling asleep to the sound of gunfire, nightly.
6,609 Posts
no salt here, just sand, and we don't see much sand here either.

·
Moderator,
8,057 Posts
My neighbors actually came running outside the first time I washed my car with it last year - they saw all the steam , thought it was smoke and that I was trying to put the car out with the hose ! :laughing I should've been more clear - I have a spigot plumbed for hot water ( easy enough , it comes out of the back side of the wetwall in the laundry room ) in the garage - I wash the things outside with a hose . Having an indoor car wash would be pretty trick though - hmmm . Also , give your bike the best coat of wax it's ever had - it makes things so much easier on your paint . If you're regularly riding after the roads have been slagged/sanded then putting some low tack clear plastic on your fork legs and fairing lowers isn't a bad idea at all - er , since you've got an SV prolly don't have the lowers though ...

·
Iron Butt Association #313244
1,380 Posts
No salt in California. The bike just gets filthy in the winter time. I try to ride in the rain as much as possible so the dirt moves around to different areas.

·
Rule #34
14,509 Posts
You'd think the roads in Va were made of ham. They salt the roads here so bad I think I'm in Utah.

How is it to ride on? How about slightly better traction than ice. Salt, or a lightly salted road sucks. It may very well hit 70 a few days towards the tail end of march but if it hasn't rained since the last good snow, it's slow riding.

Another thing that sucks is that VA DOT trucks have two settings on their salt truck. NONE and ALL. It's not uncommon to see piles of salt at intersections and stop signs. To make matters worse, salt pulls moisture from the air. The salt then turns to puddles of water which, when it gets cold enough refreezes again. Not something you want to run into trying to stop for a light.

·
Rule #34
14,509 Posts
oh yeah...

do what I do. WD-40 the shit out of your wheels and exposed metal bits. Wash the bike as often as you can. (No carwashes!)

Make doubly sure your chain is lubed well.

·
Iron Butt Association #313244
1,380 Posts
SV DAVE said:
Keep it clean, the bike will thank you.:clap
My comment was somewhat tounge in cheek. I do wash the bike regularly - it's just that this time of year it rains enough, and it gets dark so early that it's hard to keep up.

Good pointer about lubing the chain though. Riding in the rain is really hard on chain lube. You should clean and lube the chain VERY frequently when riding in the wet.

·
"You're not worthy."
2,545 Posts
Waxing is key, and I've found that the "old school" waxes form a better protective layer than the newer (and usually better) stuff. I'm talking about slathering on a thick layer of Turtle Wax in that big green tub...

·
Rule #34
14,509 Posts
Effing Limey said:
Waxing is key, and I've found that the "old school" waxes form a better protective layer than the newer (and usually better) stuff. I'm talking about slathering on a thick layer of Turtle Wax in that big green tub...
Or Meguires. Both work really well.

·
Super Moderator
23,510 Posts
Ive ridden on salted roads for years. Never had any pitting of the aluminum or plastic. The FZR600 was a concern with the steel frame. But I kept it washed.

·
Rule #34
14,509 Posts
YZFRob said:
Ive ridden on salted roads for years. Never had any pitting of the aluminum or plastic. The FZR600 was a concern with the steel frame. But I kept it washed.
salt wouldn't waste it's time on such an antiquated piece of shit anyway :redflip

Just kidding. I miss mine badly :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts