Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought an XR50 off ebay. At the close of auctyion, I immediately paypalled the deposit and sent an email asking the seller to contact me to arrange pickup. After not hearing from him in 24 hours, I got worried and cancelled the paypal payment before it was accepted and emailed the seller again to contact me. It's been 2 days now without hearing from him. What is the standard length of time I should wait before doing something else? Would ebay provide me with a phone # if he's not responding to emails? Are there any other options I may have?

·
"You're not worthy."
2,545 Posts
You can get the contact information off ebay (for the seller) if you are the listed buyer for an auction. They will end up emailing both of you a page with all names and phone numbers. I'd go with the phone call to clear things up before I did anything else...

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I just requested the info.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Some People only check their mail at work, I'd give it till Monday evening before getting too worried. But unless the user has a lot of good feedback I would use escrow. See the recent thread about paypal sucking.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think I'm safe. I did a little investigating using the contact info and it looks like the seller races AMA. All the info matched up. I'll wait for an email tomorrow and call tomorrow night if I don't hear from him.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update: I received the following email from the seller:
"i am very very sorry. i sold the bike friday. my computer has been out of control. i tried to email you several times, through paypal, ebay, and yahoo, with no luck. i am truely sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused you. again, i am very sorry that this email was too late. "

This auction specifically said "No reserve" and there was no statement saying the bike was listed locally or reserveing the right to end the auction. The auction ended and I was the high bidder. I figure he got less than he thought and decided to use this excuse to keep the bike. I sent the following email:

"You entered a legally binding contract to sell that bike to the winner of the auction. The obligation to sell to the highest bidder began on the day you submitted the auction. The auction came to a complete ending and I am the high bidder. Additionally, there was nothing in your auction indicating that the bike was also listed locally. There was also no disclaimer in your auction stating that you would sell outside of ebay.

At this time, you owe me the bike listed in your auction, in exchange for $947.50. Please get the bike back and contact me to arrange pick-up."

So, assuming he does not rectify the situation, what are my recourses? I know I can report this to ebay, but do I have any legal rights or anything else?

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mr. Clean said:
Honestly, I would probably pick a different battle to fight. Sorry bro.
That's what I was afraid I'd here. I just get so pissed off knowing I am being ripped off.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Report him to ebay to cover yourself, he will get charged for the auction between $30-$50 and might try to get his money back by saying you didnt pay. Other then that your not out any money I would let it go.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
I say find out where he lives and beat that ass just for waisting your time.:mad

·
Mama's Little Joey
14,767 Posts
It could have ended a lot worse. Ebay is becoming a major screw fest.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Jester27 said:
.... Ebay is becoming a major screw fest.
I guess I'm starting to learn that. This is the 2nd bike I was screwed out of on ebay. I just can't understand how a grow person can act so irresponsibly, especially went it's safe to assume most bidders on an XR50 before xmas are buying for their kids. Guess some people just give a shit about anyone anymore.

·
"You're not worthy."
2,545 Posts
Get his phone number and call the bastard -- make sure he realizes that he screwed your X year old son out of a BIG Christmas present. When it's the internet, people fail to realize that there are actually humans on the other end of these happenings, but when you call him and speak to him (with fury and scorn), he might either do something about it, or at worst case, realize how grevious his actions were.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Effing Limey said:
Get his phone number and call the bastard -- make sure he realizes that he screwed your X year old son out of a BIG Christmas present. When it's the internet, people fail to realize that there are actually humans on the other end of these happenings, but when you call him and speak to him (with fury and scorn), he might either do something about it, or at worst case, realize how grevious his actions were.
+1

·
Doin' the things a particle can...
37,280 Posts
Jester27 said:
It could have ended a lot worse. Ebay is becoming a major screw fest.
+1 on that. :shake

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah. I wrote him a long email and included part about it being an xmas gift for my nephews (Well, it was partially true, I'll probably give it to them when they're a little older than two ;) ). From his response, I think he did really sell it and there is nothing he can really do. I just made a deal on another one. I'm paying $300 more after shipping, but at least this guy seems a little responsible.

I left him piss-poor feedback and reported him to ebay, so hopefully he won't be screwing over others in the future.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts