Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a job offer for a job in Tucson (I currently live in California). It came with a A-4 Arizona income tax form and it said for salaries over 15,000 you have to withold anywhere from 18.4% to something like 34% (it had like 5 check boxes in that range). This seemed rather high, so I tried to look up income tax tables for Arizona, which were extremely complicated, and it said for $65,000 the tax rate was something like 4.7% of taxable income, minus $600. Could someone give me a brief explanation of this (if 4.7% sounds right and if so, why the witholding is so great) Thanks

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
If I remember correctly, that withholding percent isn't the percent of your income, but the percent of your Federal withholding.

So, for the sake of argument, if your Federal withholding for one pay period is $500, and you have elected to have a 25% state withholding, you would be giving the state $125.

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
Yep, Totenkinder is exactly right... that threw me for a loop at first when I filled out my first W-4's here in AZ.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.