Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seeing as how in about a week i am getting an R6 "The best bike ever made" I was curious about its fuel requirements...

Does it take 87 91 or 93

·
Forum Leader,
17,387 Posts
I'd suggest you RTFM* :twofinger

I use 93 in all my bikes...not saying it's right, just that it's what I use :shrug

*read the fuggin manual

·
GA sportbike rider
589 Posts
1fastchick said:
You know whats weird though, a friend of mine just got the new 03 R6 and I could have sworn it says 91 octane on it?:confused

Maybe internal engine changes and the addition to fuel injection lowered the octane requirement?

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
91 is correct for 2003, but usually the pump has 87, 89, 93

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
who doesnt fill their bike with 93?

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
I don't :shrug mine calls for 86.

I splurge and put 87 in it. :redflip

·
Registered
8,677 Posts
ZoomByU said:
who doesnt fill their bike with 93?
My Fat Boy only called for 87 octane. I always used 93 though

·
Forum Leader,
18,929 Posts
I always use 93 in anything thats a performance machine whether it was my mustangs. t/a, bikes, etc....... Hell even on the track we used just regular 93 in the 03 r6 and she ran great.

·
Rule #34
14,509 Posts

·
Rule #34
14,509 Posts
I don't run 93. I run 87 in my Hayabusa. 1 point higher that what the OM calls for. If I could find 86, I'd run that-

·
Registered
8,105 Posts
um, for us that are not blessed by the gas companies, local regulatory comission, etc. 91 or 92 is as high as it gets. there is no source of 93 octane (aside from octane boosters/race fuel) around here.:mad

·
Registered
12 Posts
This has been debated before. A lot of it depends on your ignition. If your ignition is advanced, higher octane would be the way to go. If you are running stock and it runs just fine on 87, then go 87.

I think the better question is what brand of fuel you're putting in your bike. I only go w/ BP/Amoco. If I can't find that, then it's Mobil or Shell. However, I've only put Amoco in it since I bought it new...no joke.

Doc

·
Rule #34
14,509 Posts
Doc said:
This has been debated before. A lot of it depends on your ignition. If your ignition is advanced, higher octane would be the way to go. If you are running stock and it runs just fine on 87, then go 87.

I think the better question is what brand of fuel you're putting in your bike. I only go w/ BP/Amoco. If I can't find that, then it's Mobil or Shell. However, I've only put Amoco in it since I bought it new...no joke.

Doc

Funny you say that. In HS I dated a girl whose parents owned an Exxon station. Her father told me, son, if you are going to get gas, get Amoco. That's the best gas out there. Hahaha.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts