Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Everyone is drooling over Kawi's/Aprilia's new radial mount calipers. Well, from what little research I have done it doesn't really offer a significant performance advantage.

Read this (if your not a subscriber at least the first few paragraphs):

MO.com's Radial Mounted Caliper Article

According to Dan Kyle (who I trust implicitly) the author of the article is the Ferodo importer, makes his own line of brake discs, has sold or sells a number of different brands of calipers and goes to many AMA events to represent Ferodo.

I have also been told that the main reason racers use them is the ability to change the size of the discs quickly (i.e. not needing that much braking power on a certain track and decreasing rotor size/weight and causing the bike to change direction easier).

Please discuss.

·
Moderator,
16,949 Posts
I always though it increased feel and could cut down on the size of the rotor, and unsprung weight, since it will provide the same level of braking and feel with smaller rotors than standard setups.

·
Cranky Euro-Gnome
1,344 Posts
With the wider spacing of the mounting points for the calipers themselves, they are inherently more rigid and less prone to flexing. This, in theory, should give you more consistant braking power and feel.
You can also build a caliper lighter (as in less unsprung weight) as it's more rigid, to do the same job.
Cheers, Lee S.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
But according to the article you can't feel the flex of a regular mounted caliper and the only factor that is improved by the reduction in flex is pad life. Big woop. Feel is not improved by radial mounts.

And yes you may be able to shave some unsprung weight off the caliper, but how much is questionable (I think my calipers are already pretty light). The weight and the ability to change disc sizes easily.

I just keep hearing people say "ooh, radial mount calipers, awesome" when in fact there are probably more than a few non-radial mount stock bikes that will be able to outbrake the kawi (dunno about the aprilia). For example, I think it's more significant that Kawasaki/Suzuki switch to a pad per piston setup in their new radial mounts than the fact that the calipers themselves are radially mounted.

Neither Colin nor Nicky used radial mount brake setups this year...though Nicky's teammates did.

·
Registered
4,891 Posts
They're trying something different, and they're getting a lot of postivie press for it. What's wrong with that?

If there are no negative effects of that set up, why not give it a try? If it MAY be beneficial, then it makes sense to put it into production. Speculation is nothing without experience, so I'll wait to reserve judgement until I actually ride the thing.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh hey, I think radial mount calipers are cool. I applaud them as well. Some people just think that because the bike has radial mounts, it's going to be able to outbrake everything else. That's just not true.

·
Registered
4,891 Posts
geremy said:
Oh hey, I think radial mount calipers are cool. I applaud them as well. Some people just think that because the bike has radial mounts, it's going to be able to outbrake everything else. That's just not true.
I see your point.
The same could be argued about many "new" things on a sportbike. There are plenty of nitwits who blab on and on about facts and figures but really have no idea what they mean. This'll give the squids great ammunition at the mall, though.

Squid 1: "So, you see that new Suzi 1k?"
Squid 2: "Yeah, it's a piece of trash. My bike is way faster."
Squid 1: "Really?"
Squid 2: "Hell, my bike's got (slowly sounding it out) ray-bid-dal brakes. It goes like a rocket"

·
It's not Rocket appliances.
19,663 Posts
geremy said:
they are not needed on a streetbike(much like USD forks, remember the R6 is one of the best track bikes out there), but they sure do look pretty.;)

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, the I thought it was interesting because I used to believe that a radial setup did offer a significant performance advantage, now I see that it really does not.

As for USD forks, I think the fork stiffness etc needs to be match to the geometry and rigidity of the chassis. So some bikes need them others do not.

·
King of something
4,583 Posts
I like the radial mounts but they don't really offer any superiority over standard...none that you can feel anyhow. The fact that they are more rigid is still a good thing...just nothing your gonna notice while riding.

·
Where we going?
3,221 Posts
If I remember correctly, didn't Kawi say that the advantage of the radial mount was that it allowed them to spec smaller rotors thus reducing rotating weight and improving turn in.

·
Where we going?
3,221 Posts
Ian said:
You don't read the whole thread do you Leanangle? :twofinger
I read it....just stating that this was the specific reason Kawi gave for using the radial mounts. :D

Point being though....if it doesn't increase stopping power why smaller rotors? Brakes too good on the old ZX-6r??? Come to think of it, a buddy of mine did endo his 01 6r ;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts