Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, nobody in the Grandstands could help, so I'll try here.

First, rain gear.

So far, I've gotten by with cheap stuff from Wal-Mart. On the occasional "drat, it's raining" situation, it's done fine, but it's not the best of protection and if it lasts a year or so being used rarely, I consider myself lucky.

Then, I saw this from www.radicalspeed.com:

http://www.radicalspeed.com/showApparelProducts.do?product=3&type=84&rootCategoryId=Rain+Suit

It's interesting to say the least, and it would run about $200 USD. Most high-end rain suits run almost $200, and I don't know how well they keep you dry for the price or hold up over time. Up to now, I haven't done a lot of riding in the rain, but I'm planning on more long-haul trips where stopping for bad weather isn't going to be a good option if I want to stay on schedule.

Anyone have any knowledge or expereince on this product? If not, anyone know what rain suits deliver for extended rides in the rain?

Likewise, I'm not sure if I want to get a back protector, but I see more guys using them even for more relaxed riding. Which ones are good without breaking the bank? I'm not planning on any track days?

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, that thought crossed my mind too.

This is what they replied when I asked about the product and how well it holds up over time....
Thank you for your interest in RadicalSpeed and the X-50 rainsuit.

As you can imagine, we are unable to define normal use. It seems there as
many modes of use as there are customers with an X-50.

In relative terms you can assume that your X-50 will not last as long as a
more conventional rainsuit made of nylon or plastic. Our products are
designed for extreme athletes who value performance over durability. The
slick form fitting X-50 is ideal for the track. However the material
which provides such a good fit is itself less durable than nylon.

Care of your X-50 is mostly common sense. Hand wash it in warm water with
a delicate detergent. Hang to dry. Store it in a dry place between 0 and
30 degree C, away from direct sunlight.
It's obvious the suit's designed more for the track (rain protection without adding drag), but so far, the rain gear I've seen (even if costing almost $50) only protects maybe 20 minutes and then you're getting wet anyhow.

I wonder what makes of raingear really perform well under heavy rain AND tend to hold up over time. :confused

·
Registered
5,042 Posts
My rain suit is the Teknic Otisca 2 piece suit and it is the shizz. I love it. I have taken two trips from Virginia Beach, VA, to Miami, Fl. and it didn't let me down at all. It is still in like new conditions depsite being worn for long periods of time in some harsh weather. Keeps you very dry and the only parts of you that get wet are the parts that are in the suit (upper neck/chin area, gloves, lower portions of helmet). I recommend it and its not that expensive either, you can usually find them for about $75.

DeeZ

·
Registered
5,042 Posts
And as far as back protectors go, I have no comnplaints with my Icon back protector that I have had for about six months now. I use that one for the street and for track duties I use the A* race tech back protector. If you wear full leathers on the street, then I would recommend this one because it has a cool feature that lets you button the back protector to your suit. The Icon one is good because it allows you to throw that on and is snug fitting so your riding jacket goes right over it. Either one I like them.

DeeZ

·
Lame post in the works...
589 Posts
I ride in Seattle almost everyday so I know riding in the rain. I use the Darien Jacket by aerostich and the Drystar pants by Alpinestar. Both work really well in keeping me dry, even for long periods. The pants come with a inner lining and removable knee armor. I usually pull out the liner and the armor because the liner is really warm and the armor tends to move around. Anyway, the outer shell works great. I know that aerostich makes Darien pants and a one piece roadcrafter suite that I hear is the ultimate in raingear and is super easy to get on and off. As far as back protectors I use the Alpinestar Tech Back Protector. Fits fairly comfortable and makes me feel better about riding on the street because of the added protection. All of the above are far from cheap but I would rather go for the nicer stuff then for the $200 condom suit...just my .02.

·
Registered
123 Posts
For commuting in the rain, I just wear a cheapy Hein Gericke rain jacket over my regualr riding jacket, which is already water-resistent. i just picked up a pair of Alpinestars waterproof gloves though.

I don't ride canyon/ track in the rain (I know...I'm a wuss) so I don't need a track rainsuit.

As for back protectors, buy the best that you can afford but remember that just because it's expensive doesn't mean it's good. I recommend Knox but am currently looking into http://www.impactarmor.com as well.

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
I have a one piece Dry Ryder suit that is easy to pull on over full gear and seals up nicely. I've been using it in Florida summers since 1999. It has a nice and simple velcro enclosure that seals up nicely and some good ventilation to keep humidity from building up inside the suit itself. It has worked flawless for me for many miles. I got it from my father, who used it for a few seasons as well. I believe he paid roughly $40 for it. The reflective material has come lose recently, but I was going to replace and augment it anyway with some 3M reflective tape. I don't know how much better the $200 suit would be when compared to my Dry Ryder, but I can't complain about my suit. It has been a solid performer in some serious downpours, and has always left me dry.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts