Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright I have a 1999 Honda CBR 600 F4..... ran it out of gas yesterday, now I filled it up with gas, but it still won't start, can't figure out how to get it started.... any tips would be appreciated.... btw it's carburated not fuel injected..... thanks

·
Super Moderator
23,490 Posts
Not sure if a F4 has one, but did you by any chance accidentally turn the fuel petcock off instead of reserve or back to main?

How long did you try to start it after filling it? Sometimes it takes some tries before the fuel bowls fill.

Is their a heavy gas smell like its flooded?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey yea I didn't turn off the petcock.... didn't even know there was a swtich (stupid) I just got the bike and admittedly don't know much about it.... but now I've ben trying to a while to get it started.... still won't go.... can't figure it out at all.... only thing I can figure is maybe I have to take the carbs and clean them.... maybe they got some nasty in them... I don't know..

·
Super Moderator
23,490 Posts
Dont worry. I pushed my FZR600 for a mile after "running out of gas". Called the dealer and that was the first thing he said.:D Turn the petcock to reserve and it ran.:laughing

Make sure you're battery is still charged good.
leave teh choke off and try to start it without touching the throttle. That should clear it out a bit if its flooded. THen put full choke and try it. At the most crack open teh throttle a little. If it was running fine until it went dry, I dont see any reason to take the carbs off.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Assuming you're running premium gas too right? The guy who bought my CBR didn't know this, ended up fouling out the plugs on 87. He was treated to changing the plugs i did the season prior just 2 weeks after having the bike. Not a fun job...

·
Doin' the things a particle can...
37,282 Posts
FSUMulletF4i said:
Whoo-Hooo just heard the most beautiful sound in the world.... my bike starting up.... ahhhh behold the power of starting fluid.....
good stuff but watch out for flashback :thumb

:flame

·
Registered
69 Posts
you have to prime the carb float bowls, when the float bowls totally drain they need to be refilled befor ethe bike will start, just turn the bike on and off about a dozen times. Usually can hear and feel the fuel pump buzz when its pumping, once it is full it should just give a steady beat like a heart

·
Registered
426 Posts
rce2win said:
Assuming you're running premium gas too right? The guy who bought my CBR didn't know this, ended up fouling out the plugs on 87. He was treated to changing the plugs i did the season prior just 2 weeks after having the bike. Not a fun job...
F4s can run on 87....they don't require premium.....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts