Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what rear sets might be a stupid question but i dont no what they are. is it by the foot peg?

·
Super Moderator
23,510 Posts
Rear sets are where the footpeg mounts to.

Aftermarket rearsets usually move teh foot peg up and back a little for ground clearance when racing. Most put you in an uncomfortable position for street riding though. Sometimes they improve comfort (as with mine). Everyone is differnet. YOu might find riding mine with aftermarket rearsets uncomfrotable.

·
Registered
378 Posts
aftermarket foot peg assemblies usually placing the foot peg either back further or up further or both to make more ground clearance. The whole stock assembly on a sport bike is called a rear set also.

The aftermarket ones are usually rigid also and don't fold.

Almost 100% necesarry for race bikes to help with ground clearance issues.

Some rear sets are adjustable too. :)

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok i dont track my bike so no need for new after market ones,
i seen people drill there rear sets and it made them look better that some thing i might think about doing does any have any pics of that

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
Woodcraft I believe makes soem that arent adjustable and cheaper but move the foot position an inch higher and back or something like that. Some people want better foot position some don't. Never know till ya try em.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
600kidd said:

The aftermarket ones are usually rigid also and don't fold.

OK, I'll ask, why?

It seems that even if you are going for extra clearance (moving up and back) why not still be "fold-able"?

Just curious as to why they are rigid...

·
Registered
137 Posts
frij0l3 said:
OK, I'll ask, why?

It seems that even if you are going for extra clearance (moving up and back) why not still be "fold-able"?

Just curious as to why they are rigid...
Generally with the extra clearance they provide you don't have issues with dragging the pegs. Plus although they aren't sold as such, they will sometimes help cut down on damage in the event of a low-side as they will act as somewhat of a frame slider. At Barber in October one of the guys went down in turn 5 on a ZX-10. Between the frame sliders and the Sato rearsets the damage was minimal. Only had to replace a footpeg bolt that bent slightly and he was back the next session.

·
Registered
6,575 Posts
some people would rather have rearsets (non-folding) than sliders because they
protect, per above, in the case of a lowside.

Sliders have a tendency when someoen hits the grass to launch the bikes over
causing damage from on both sides. (obviously there is alot of room for argument
and debate on this one... but its personal pref)

Also, with a ncie rearset - you only need to replace the toe piece and lever end in the
case of a crash, which on all of them is an individual piece you can buy.

·
Super Moderator
23,510 Posts
ducati_atx said:

Sliders have a tendency when someoen hits the grass to launch the bikes over
causing damage from on both sides. (obviously there is alot of room for argument
and debate on this one... but its personal pref)
Seen many bikes start tumbling after catching a non-folding footpeg also. If a bikes gonna tumble, its gonna tumble.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
If not racing your bike really no need for aftermarket rearsets, they can however improve the looks of most bikes imo. I too have seen bike get tossed up in the air due to no folding rearset, I don't race my bike but it does do double duty during track days and while I'm in no danger of dragging hard parts on the ground I think I want rearsets on it so it's not just like every other gixxer 1 on the street.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
I think it is also easier to have correct form when riding if you have your rear sets adjusted for your size. On my R1 it is actually a little more comfortable than with the stock ones, with the stock foot pegs I am in too much of an up right position, the rear sets on there now help rock me forward and into the proper position

·
I wanna go faasssssst!!!
1,677 Posts
I have 'em to run a GP shift pattern.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts