Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't want to change the front sprocket, just the rear.

I want more low to mid-range torque.

Would you recommend dropping one tooth in the rear or go ahead and drop 2 teeth?

Also, how will my top end be affected by a 2 teeth drop in the back?

The bike is a Y2K Kat 750.

Thanks,

Blake

·
Registered
12,186 Posts
Generally if you want to increase low end acceleration and quickness you can drop one tooth in the front or add 1 or two in the rear.

·
It's not Rocket appliances.
19,663 Posts
you want to add teeth to the back or remove from the front to increase acceleration.

removing teeth from the back will make the bike accelerate slower and have a higer top end(If the motor can pull the gearing on the top end) and a lower cruising RPM.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
1 tooth in front is approximately equal to going up 3 teeth in the rear (2.7 I think).

Shane

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Going up 2 in the rear is recommended because it causes less chain wear but keep this in mind if you go too big in the back wheel base is affected and a longer chain may be required. just my .02

·
Registered
417 Posts
I geared my Tona pretty radical, and I'm quite happy with the results.

I went from 18:42 to 17:45, the change was night and day. I now have a very usable powerband, and a pretty decent topend.
Granted I did lose prolly 20mph off my topend, But the bike will still do 135+ (GPS'd) and screams all the way up to redline in every gear...

One thing to note was that adding the rear teeth did require me to lengthen the chain.
:creep

·
Registered
369 Posts
I had a katana with a 50 tooth sprocket on the rear (up from a 47). I can't recall if I had a 14 or 15 on the front. Whatever it was it was down 1 from stock. It made a noticeable difference but sucked for highway riding.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I have been thinking of going down one tooth in the front also but now i think going up 2 in the rear might be what i should do. This all depends on if i am thinking right in that a rear sprocket size change wont bother the speedo like it does on the front sprocket. I could care less about loosing top speed. How often do i really do 160.

·
Registered
511 Posts
thanks for the info.. it is time for new sprockets and a chain. I guess ill be getting one of those black robotic spedo recalculators then

·
Registered
511 Posts
Oh I know where to get it and i have the info on the group buy already. I have been putting the chain and sprockets off all summer. Its starting to get a little chilly here so i guess ill be doing it soon.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have played with sprockets all my life, and the best sprockets is the one that suits your riding style.

When Im riding with my girl-friend I go 17-41 when I go wit the guys I go 16-43. Diferent aproach to the riding Im going to do.

If you whant mode midange pull, you have to increase the power of the engine. Sprockets only increase or decrease acceleration.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
how does changing the sprocket affect your speedo?

i know on the ZX7R teh speedo is a cable that is attached to the front wheel i know mine backs off all teh time and i lose all speed indication and odometer readings.

is yours attached to the transmission????:confused

·
Registered
73 Posts
Divide the Front / rear
Ex. 15/43 you will get a number then you do the same math to the other numbers and calculate the diference.

That is the diference in %.

Dont worry, most of the speedo are very inacurate so you will never know unles GPS or radar.

ZX7r comes from the front weell so the speedo is not afected with sprocket changes.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts