Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
USMC 0341 '89-'93
3,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recent events have given me a boost of pride in my Danish ancestry. While I'm 100% American I think we all take some pride in our ancestry. It's nice to see that ones homeland supports America as well as freedom of speech and democracy.

·
my dirt bike has slicks
7,323 Posts
We Are All Danes Now

We are all Danes now (exerpt)

By Jeff Jacoby, Globe Columnist | February 5, 2006

HINDUS CONSIDER it sacrilegious to eat meat from cows, so when a Danish supermarket ran a sale on beef and veal last fall, Hindus everywhere reacted with outrage. India recalled its ambassador to Copenhagen, and Danish flags were burned in Calcutta, Bombay, and Delhi. A Hindu mob in Sri Lanka severely beat two employees of a Danish-owned firm, and demonstrators in Nepal chanted: ''War on Denmark! Death to Denmark!"In many places, shops selling Dansk china or Lego toys were attacked by rioters, and two Danish embassies were firebombed.

It didn't happen, of course. Hindus may consider it odious to use cows as food, but they do not resort to boycotts, threats, and violence when non-Hindus eat hamburger or steak. They do not demand that everyone abide by the strictures of Hinduism and avoid words and deeds that Hindus might find upsetting. The same is true of Christians, Jews, Buddhists, Mormons: They don't lash out in violence when their religious sensibilities are offended. They certainly don't expect their beliefs to be immune from criticism, mockery, or dissent.

But radical Muslims do.

The current uproar over cartoons of the Muslim prophet Mohammed published in a Danish newspaper illustrates yet again the fascist intolerance that is at the heart of radical Islam. Jyllands-Posten, Denmark's largest daily, commissioned the cartoons to make a point about freedom of speech. It was protesting the climate of intimidation that had made it impossible for a Danish author to find an illustrator for his children's book about Mohammed. No artist would agree to illustrate the book for fear of being harmed by Muslim extremists. Appalled by this self-censorship, Jyllands-Posten invited Danish artists to submit drawings of Mohammed, and published the 12 it received.

Most of the pictures are tame to the point of dullness, especially compared to the biting editorial cartoons that routinely appear in US and European newspapers. A few of them link Mohammed to Islamist terrorism -- one depicts him with a bomb in his turban, while a second shows him in Heaven, pleading with newly arrived suicide terrorists: ''Stop, stop! We have run out of virgins!" Others focus on the threat to free speech: In one, a sweating artist sits at his drawing board, nervously sketching Mohammed, while glancing over his shoulder to make sure he's not being watched.

That anything so mild could trigger a reaction so crazed -- riots, death threats, kidnappings, flag-burnings -- speaks volumes about the chasm that separates the values of the civilized world from those in too much of the Islamic world. Freedom of the press, the marketplace of ideas, the right to skewer sacred cows: Militant Islam knows none of this. And if the jihadis get their way, it will be swept aside everywhere by the censorship and intolerance of sharia.

·
USMC 0341 '89-'93
3,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice article Sean. I have also seen recent reports in the media that it is very common, and has been for some time now, for newspapers in Muslim countries to publish cartoons portraying persons of other religions as killers and/or in a very negative way. We have just never heard about it before this.

·
Registered
24,114 Posts
At this point it's past radical Islam....I'm sorry but, it seems to be the majority of Islam...

·
my dirt bike has slicks
7,323 Posts
Kawboy40 said:
Nice article Sean. I have also seen recent reports in the media that it is very common, and has been for some time now, for newspapers in Muslim countries to publish cartoons portraying persons of other religions as killers and/or in a very negative way. We have just never heard about it before this.

Attachments

·
I'm so vain, I probably think this song is about m
14,142 Posts
is that the cartoon their all outraged about?

·
USMC 0341 '89-'93
3,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Apocolypse said:
is that the cartoon their all outraged about?
No. That is an example of one of the many anti-Israel/ anti-Jewish cartoons that are published in newspapers in Muslim countries. We just don't ever hear about them because you don't see Jewish people in Washington D.C. burning down the Syrian embassy.

If you look around in the Jabberwocky politics forum and the News and Current Events Discussion forum you'll see some examples that set off the Muslims.

·
Rear Entry aint just for **** anymore
4,221 Posts
Here are the 12 in question....the 11th one down was the one that caused all the emotional issues. Muhammad has a turbin on with a lit bomb in it. They are all freaked out because you are not allowed to portray Muhammad in a negative way, ever. Right, like these fuckers are perfect!

Attachments

·
Doin' the things a particle can...
37,282 Posts
unbelievable. :shake

they say the world is filled with people who hate them and wonder why... but they'll riot about cartoons and a supermarket that held a sale on beef products?

:shake

·
my dirt bike has slicks
7,323 Posts
PrtclMn001 said:
unbelievable. :shake

they say the world is filled with people who hate them and wonder why... but they'll riot about cartoons and a supermarket that held a sale on beef products?

:shake
Read the article before you say that.

·
37,282 Posts
Sean said:
Read the article before you say that.
I did... I guess I'm more annoyed at the concept than anything else. :(

Just like with motorcyclists, it's the 1%ers that do all the damage but most groups do their best to keep the 1% in control... I don't see that happening against any radical religious group.

·
my dirt bike has slicks
7,323 Posts
PrtclMn001 said:
I did... I guess I'm more annoyed at the concept than anything else. :(

But that didn't happen, and that was his whole point--that it wouldn't happen.

·
USMC 0341 '89-'93
3,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
PrtclMn001 the first half of the article, the part about Hindus, is sarcasm. Sarcasm to show that it wouldn't happen with other religions other then Muslims.

·
37,282 Posts
Kawboy40 said:
PrtclMn001 the first half of the article, the part about Hindus, is sarcasm. Sarcasm to show that it wouldn't happen with other religions other then Muslims.
shhh I'm on a roll here! :nanana

·
Registered
24,114 Posts

·
37,282 Posts
timy said:
Radical!!!
:laughing

I think I have a serious lack of comprehension skills today actually... I normally have 25 windows open on my desktop with ease... now I'm staring at stuff like a monkey doing a f**king math problem.

I think I need a nother 5 or 6 Mountain Dew Code Red's.. :blank

·
At BANNED Camp
16,067 Posts
I have not killed anyone in a very long time, but thankfully, it appears more and more, that the day is coming when I can finally scratch that itch that has been bothering me for such a long time.

I honestly think a tipping point has been reached. It has finally dawned on a bunch of Euro-weenies that appeasement is not the way to go. Muslims have gotten so over the top lately that even the Europeans, with PC running in their veins, have gotten tired of Islam's shit.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts