Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just replaced my riding jacket and I am looking for ways to increase visibility at night. On my previous jacket, I simple had a reflective belt sewn on to the back of the jacket. It was a professional job and I was quite pleased with the appearance. I was thinking of doing the same with my new jacket, but I’m concerned about the stitching compromising the jackets waterproofing. I don’t think iron-on Scotchlite material would hold up well on a waterproof jacket. I’m considering using Aquaseal Repair Adhesive & Sealant, but I don’t have any experience with that either. So, I’m wondering if anyone has any suggestions or ideas.

Let me say that I am against wearing a safety vest of any kind. I think they are a crutch that we use to overcome the shortcomings of manufactures. In my opinion, manufactures should be making a wider selection of gear that is visible day and night.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
I've seen reflective material on helmets that appears black in the sun and is quite refelctive at night. I've no details beyond that other than the people I've seen wearing it tend to be distance riders. IMO it works better on the helmet than the jacket because it shows head movement.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
MotorToad said:
I've seen reflective material on helmets that appears black in the sun and is quite reflective at night.
Yep, I've got that on my lid. Works well from what drivers tell me. But I'm looking for something on the jacket. Like I said, I'm anti-vest.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
007 said:
You should check out the Halo reflective band that goes around your helmet that is easy to take on and off and is very visible at night.
I've got an HJC Symax, so it won't work. I'm really looking for some way to make the jacket more visible.

·
Registered
54 Posts
just bite the bullet and get a vest. If you get a hi-viz yellow one it'll help you to be more visible during the daytime as well. I agree that manufacturers need to make their gear more visible, but I think your apprehension to get a safety vest has more to do with you not wanting to look like a dork or a construction worker. But hey, you gotta do what you gotta do. Since you already bought your jacket your kinda screwed on making a different selection, but if you are ever in the market for a new textile jacket just get an Aerostitch Darien. They're waterproof, have a big strip of reflective material on the back, and they are also available in hi-viz yellow. Too bad they're expensive as all to be damned.

Another alternative I did last year before getting my safety vest was to go down to the local auto parts store and buy the strips of reflective material. I bought the red and white strips and just stuck them to the back of the jacket. The adhesive is pretty strong and they held at speeds up to 75 mph for hundreds of miles without flying off.

·
I ride almost every day!
1,159 Posts

·
Heavy Metal
1,907 Posts
this jacket is like having big white light on your back...i've never seen cagers react the way so many of them do when i wear this jacket at night...

the skull and crossbones are reflective

it freaks cagers out when i blast by on the turnpike, they flip on their highbeams to see what the hell that white flash was the went by :D ...i've never seen anything like it, i'm constantly being flashed :p

i also have black and white reflective tape hand cut into a pattern on the back of the lid...the black tape doesn't show in the day, but at night it's nice and bright

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.