Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, first off I have to say that this is the first time I've ridden with one, so take it for what it's worth. I bought it from HardRacing and it was delivered promptly. There was a 2 month wait for the Ohlins, and the HP was $50 cheaper, so I gave it a try.

The instructions were clearly written with an install time of about 1 hour. (it would have gone much quicker with an extra set of hands) 2 of the bolts are listed at 4 ft/lbs torque and my wrench only goes as low as 10, so I'm thinking some loctite might be a good idea.

HP makes a big deal about its "active control", whereby dampening increases with speed, and at stiffer settings it is very noticeable. At the hardest setting the bars still move easily, but give them a good whack and the effort increases dramatically. (wow, a product that actually does what it claims)

OK, testing time. I began at position 1 and the front end wallowed badly. Out of 12 clicks, 8 seems the best. Would I buy another HP damper? Can't say, I'd like to compare to the Ohlins. I think I might have preferred a more linear rate of dampening because even at 2/3 it still feels mushy at low speed. I've seen Scott post a few times that dampers can make holding a steady line more difficult, and now I believe him;)

BTW-James, wanna trade dampers for a week?:laughing

1 - 2 of 2 Posts