Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night while flipping through the channels I saw Speed had a Driver of the Year Award. Kinda cool concept really. The award isn't limited to any one series or country. It covers all pro drivers in all classes.

So that got me thinking...Why no Rider of the Year Award? Well, that was easy to figure out actually. :rolleyes So anyway, in this slow time of the year with not much to talk about, who would you choose as the Rider of the Year? Any professional 2 wheeled rider in any class in any country.

My pick is extremely lame.:rolleyes But in all honesty, I only watched the MotoGP races this year. I tried to tune in to a few AMA races, but I gotta say they were boring as hell and almost seemed amatuerish.:( I mean c'mon, pros racing around orange cones as corners at some tracks?:confused Anyway, so since my choice is really limited to one series, I have to go with Rossi. Between his comeback from 8th to 2nd after running off course, his ability to overcome a 10 second penalty and still take 1st place, and his more or less dominace of the class, who else is there? Yeah, I know Nicky did well, but even ROTY was a close call with him a Troy. So that's 1 vote for Val.:D

Yes, I'm bored.:nanana

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
Ya Gotta go with Rossi!!

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
I think most of the amateurish nature of AMA racing is from the AMA and not the riders.

You should have made this a poll, but I'm sure 75% are going to be "Rossi" anyway. I know mine is. :)

He was head and shoulders above everyone else and dominated the premier series against actual, real-life competition.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You know, I considered making a poll, but figured leaving it open would bring in some riders I wasn't aware of.....guess not.:D

And it's not that I have any problems with the AMA riders, it's more the circuits and the way it's run like you say. Although I do have to admit E. Boz on the Duc just might bring me back in next year. I'm so happy to see him on a real bike finally.

·
Back in the shade where I belong.
12,261 Posts
are you guys kidding me?? Nicky was the best rider on the grid this year, by far!!!!

No, I'm just kidding. Rossi is in a league by himself. And he proved that after his win, despite the ten second penalty. However, he will have at least that in every race next year considering five or six riders will have a bette bike than him.

·
Weezie
597 Posts
I agree that rossi is the rider of the year. With all that he did, thats not even in question. Who would be the ROTY if rossi wasnt in it. You could make a strong case for Eboz, I mean, he was on a 15 year old bike that was last really updated several years ago, recieving an overbore this year to make it only in the 800cc range, and he still was in the running for the championship until LS where he was taken out of it by an overzealous rider.

Another question: Who will be rider of the year at the end of next year. Nicky or Colin, maybe Xaus?, or will Rossi amaze the world again? :confused :eh

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
I'm guessing CEII or Gibernau. There aren't many riders in other series that I think would be close to the GP bar next year. If Rossi wins a few races on th Yammy, I think it might still be his honor, even without the championship.

·
Registered
683 Posts
kevweez said:
Another question: Who will be rider of the year at the end of next year. Nicky or Colin, maybe Xaus?, or will Rossi amaze the world again? :confused :eh
I think next year might be Biaggi's time to shine. Honda will be desperate for the one true star that has the ability to win the championship and Biaggi might be the man. He's already dominating lap times. It will be a tight race between him and Gibernau.

Oh, and next years rookie of the year.... Kurtis Roberts! He's gonna turn a few heads on the Proton machine.

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
One more for Rossi. Though I hate saying that, I'm always a fan of the underdog. (GO COLIN!!!!) But dang, Rossi is just unbelieveable. Those finishes he pulled off...geez, just unreal!

I will have to give a close 2nd to Gibernau though. The guy's got it goin' on. He's the only fella to truly give Rossi a run for his money. I think next year he's going to be a real contender with Rossi outta the picture like he is. (Well, not outta the pic, just handicapped :laughing) I don't think Nicky will be a contender for the title, though he will see many more podiums. He's still too green. Now the 2005 season...look out world, here comes team AMERICA! :redflip

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
I guess i would have to go with Rossi but just because he always wins. But if i had to vote on someone that was improved or OVER achieved then i would have to go with SETE. Noone IMO has made more process in racing this past year than him. I know he finally got a good bike. And he has won several races against the all powerful Rossi. alot of people i think are over looking him for next years Champ. some saying Nicky some saying rossi I think it will be between 3 riders next year for the champ. Rossi,Sete and Colin. Just my .02

·
Back in the shade where I belong.
12,261 Posts
gerry said:
Oh, and next years rookie of the year.... Kurtis Roberts! He's gonna turn a few heads on the Proton machine.
your kidding, right? Please tell me that you are kidding!!:shake :shake

·
I'm so vain, I probably think this song is about m
14,142 Posts
kurtis roberts :crackup

he won an AMA race and decided he was good enough for the big leagues :slap

This year... giberneau or rossi or CE or hayden (as much as i hate to admit it :shake )

·
The WAR ON ERRORISM---NOFX
367 Posts
kurtis roberts--for whiner of the year maybe.

But I would say Nicky, he turned the most heads imo, begining of the season he was bairly mentioned, by the end of season, they couldn't talk enough about him..

No one really turned my head in AMA, maybe eboz for winning on that dinosaur

oh mladin could also take whiner of the year too. :p :p

·
Premium Member
10,229 Posts
So when did rider of the year mean pavement only? I think there are some other nominees I'd like to see.
Jeff Ward - For returning after a 10 year layoff to waste everyone in motard.
Ricky Charmichal - For another amazing motocross and supercross season.
Chris Carr - Still the dominant force in flattrack racing, even with many fast young riders coming up and winning this year. Not to mention equipment rules in a state of flux.
Dougie Lampkin - You wanna see what domination really is, follow this guys career in world, UK, and European trials championships. Simply amazing!

BTW, everyone who keeps saying Nicky, you better notice he only beat Bayliss by one point. And Bayliss was competitive ALL year, which was also his first in MotoGP, on an unproven bike.

·
367 Posts
BTW, everyone who keeps saying Nicky, you better notice he only beat Bayliss by one point. And Bayliss was competitive ALL year, which was also his first in MotoGP, on an unproven bike
Bayliss has already been proven a great rider and definetly ready for GP but nicky was a little untested and quite possibly a little wet behind the ears for motogp. And I believe nicky beat him by 2 points and its not important(for rider of year or championship) how many points he beats him by.

How is being completely dominating over and over impresive, I mean after awhile it just gets old. now edwardsII come back in 02 that was impressive and worth rider of the year imo.

·
367 Posts
So when did rider of the year mean pavement only? I think there are some other nominees I'd like to see.
Jeff Ward - For returning after a 10 year layoff to waste everyone in motard.
Ricky Charmichal - For another amazing motocross and supercross season.
Chris Carr - Still the dominant force in flattrack racing, even with many fast young riders coming up and winning this year. Not to mention equipment rules in a state of flux.
Dougie Lampkin - You wanna see what domination really is, follow this guys career in world, UK, and European trials championships. Simply amazing!
Out of this list
I would have to say chris carr or Ward,,keep in mind I have no idea who dougie lampkin is..sorry but i still feel that nicky would be my pick.

·
Registered
932 Posts
I believe Rossi is the Best in the World, the things he did with that machine amazes me. I love it when he would follow around in 2nd or 3rd then turn it on half way through the race and pull a few seconds on everybody like it was nothing, he would start backing it in every turn and just be one with the machine. I have to give another vote for Mladin as well, anybody who keeps it up from a 160mph blowout is a God, and he is on the best bike:redflip J/K.

Jay

1 - 20 of 24 Posts