Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Some results from our unscientific wrecking poll threads:

116 responces to wreck/what size bike poll at time of figurin'

Looks like you are only marginally safer starting on a smaller bike than a larger one: 52% of peeps who started on a cruiser/600cc sportbike haven't wrecked, while 45% of peeps starting on a large sportbike haven't wrecked. So smaller first bikes are only marginally safer and thus the old addage, it's not the size, it's what you do with it, seems to hold true.

106 responces to years/wreck poll at time of my figurin'

46% of accidents occured in the first year of riding

70% of accidents occured within the first three years.

39% or 41 out of 106 riders have not wrecked, though 70 % of those riders have less than 4 years of experience.

Of all respondants, only 11% have made it past 3 years without a wreck!

ok, my math's not the greatest, so there's quite possibly a "hey world, I'm a dumbass!" statement up there, but I think that poll helped rid me of the misconception that 90% of accidents happen to first year riders, and it's pretty likely that at some point i'll end up laying it down...11%...damn. Well, I'll still fight the good fight and try to be the 1 in 10 who's never scraped paint.

I suppose that 90% figure prolly was accurate at the time, but that time was prolly in the 80's when sportbikes were not nearly as popular/powerful/fun. I'm guessing if we did this poll in the cruiser forum, it'd be much closer to 90% in the first year. But since I don't ride a cruiser, that don't mean shiznit to me.

Thanks to all who participated. Ride safe.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I think small bike starters were underrepresented in your poll. If you consider the history of bikes in the US, American riders have had precious few opportunities to "start small".

Lets add one more <250 cc starter to your numbers - I didn't notice your first thread about size of starter bike.

·
Moto Junkie
2,450 Posts
I think it would be interesting to see if dirt experience has any correlation to the poll results. Although I only have 2 yrs on the street, I have much longer in the dirt and didn't take that into consideration in my response.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
46% of accidents happen in the first year, leaving 24% for the last two years (70-46). Assuming that all 24 didn't happen in the 2nd or 3rd year, I would bet that the numbers continue in a downward trend. 1st > 2nd > 3rd > 4th etc...

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
TN650S said:
I hope you're not placing any bets on your little poll here. It's hardly scientific.
It's good to hear the CF Dept. of Redundancy is on the job. Or was my use of the word "unscientific" in in the VERY FIRST SENTENCE of my post too confusing for you?

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
TJA1 said:
I think small bike starters were underrepresented in your poll. If you consider the history of bikes in the US, American riders have had precious few opportunities to "start small".

Lets add one more <250 cc starter to your numbers - I didn't notice your first thread about size of starter bike.
I'd be amazed if we got more than 10 responses to that poll...it just doesn't happen much...and even if none of them wrecked, do you really think it would have any effect on getting people to start on a 250? Doubtful...they're just too lame, too outdated, and too much against why alot of people buy bikes in the first place.

·
It's not Rocket appliances.
19,663 Posts
1BAD51 said:
70% of accidents occured within the first three years.

Of all respondants, only 11% have made it past 3 years without a wreck!

ok, my math's not the greatest, so there's quite possibly a "hey world, I'm a dumbass!" statement up there
here it is.:redflip
you mean 11% after 4 years.;)(30% after 3 years)

·
Registered
555 Posts
I wouldn't hold anything posted here as statistical data. Too few people were surveyed, most people on CF know quite a bit about motorcycling in general, leaving the inumerable squiddis unrepresented, and some people flat out lie.

·
It's not Rocket appliances.
19,663 Posts
Zumina said:
I wouldn't hold anything posted here as statistical data. Too few people were surveyed, most people on CF know quite a bit about motorcycling in general, leaving the inumerable squiddis unrepresented, and some people flat out lie.
I think he has already stated that.:shake

1 - 10 of 10 Posts