Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
The Henry Hill of the underground KTM Mafia
4,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Check out some roads similar to the 18 mile road? Weather does look to be very cold and possible snow though. One nice thing about fire roads is the lack of salt dust!:crackup

·
4,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe we should do some pre-scouting of some of the fire roads those adventure riders rally will be in May near Hot Springs. Ya know of any thing over that way?

·
Registered
132 Posts
I do !
But I will be riding trails this weekend.
There are quite a few but some of them can get VERY muddy if you don't know where you are going.
Look around the Paint Creek area near Hot Springs.
You can also access some FR stuff just past the bridge in Hot Springs on the left.

Fireblader37 said:
Maybe we should do some pre-scouting of some of the fire roads those adventure riders rally will be in May near Hot Springs. Ya know of any thing over that way?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Here are some pictures I took of others from the 04 and 05 Hot Springs rally. If you go down the wrong road it can get a little nasty.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]
[/IMG]

·
Rolling Chicane
8,124 Posts
Damn you guys SUCK. :rant

Now I want a KLR :cry

·
4,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Super cool Kerry. I was wondering if you would scoop that XR up. Will those bikes be ready for a shake down this Saturday if we get to ride? You an Kathy can start your won vintage race team! LOL
I tried to drive my friends from Fla to Hot Springs Sunday and got half way there and had to turn around on 209 due to the ice and snow so I am sure any unpaved roads up there will be a real mess for sure. Might be best to do something out east a bit to offset the snow we got last weekend. It gonna be frigid here all week so not much chance of it melting/drying out before this weekend.
Sig stop crying and go buy one!;)

·
The Vespanator
4,964 Posts
XL 350R, budro. :p

Incredibly good timing, luck & deal - great shape, esp. considering its age. :thumb
I hope Jason doesn't regret it too much & the $$$ goes a long way towards takeing care of the 6-fiddy refurb. :thumb Again - THANKS! :D

I was looking @ the KLR650, XL(& R)650 and a couple of others - but I think the XL350R is going to be much more manageable & dirt-capable for me, especially as a newbie. That one quick ride just down the street felt great - I can't wait to hit some trails. This weekend is (mostly) a no-go for me though, as I'm doing a tune-up/valve-adj./fork flush to help a newer rider out (& cover the cost of a replacement chain & sprockets for the VFR.... :))
Next w/e I was already likely headed up to the Gap to hang w/ a old riding bud & his friends for some 4-wheeled shenanigans, but it looks like Allan & I will do a little off-road exploring too (like Parson's Branch). :banana

I think Kathy will likely still be in the market, as I don't have a warm fuzzy feeling about the KLR250 deal going thru at this point. It was advertized as having 'no title', which is fine & no biggie to get a replacement. But the guy hasn't replied to my request for the VIN# & was a bit pissy when I e-mailed that I'd need a power-of-attorney form signed in order to apply for a replacement - and just ignored the VIN# request. If it's ground off or he doesn't want to send it to me ahead of time...... :rolleyes :down

I'm thinking that may be for the best anyway, as the condition may be too used & abused, and she may likely be better off on a different (lighter & a bit more dirt-oriented) bike any-who.

Attachments

·
4,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah sounds like that fella is one of "those" Ebayers. Too bad because for that price even if ya have to put some garage time and cost into it its still likely a decent acquistion. Sorry about the XL/XR thing last time I read about one of those bikes Bob Hanna was the motocross champion so Im a bit rusty!:laughing Lets make sure we get out there soon with you and Kathy for sure though.;)

·
The Vespanator
4,964 Posts
:laughing I'll let the XR reference slide - hell, I'm still trying to get a handle on the huge assortment of different models/codes out there & that's about the only one I remember all the time so far!

The seller runs an auction biz w/ 2000+ feedback @ 99% pos, but still - doesn't look too promising as of now. Oh well - I think we can do better anyway. :shrug :D

Any possibility you're free to make a run to the Gap (Parsons Branch, etc.) next weekend? :)

·
4,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah I may be able to meet you all up there. Stay in touch and shoot the details and I will try!:D

·
The Vespanator
4,964 Posts
Cool. :thumb

Well, the XL is officially mine now, as I have already roosted a 30' rut in the slope of my back yard and later dumped it lightly, banging my knee pretty good in the process. :toothy

·
How do I work this thing?
3,716 Posts
kerry_129 said:
Cool. :thumb

Well, the XL is officially mine now, as I have already roosted a 30' rut in the slope of my back yard and later dumped it lightly, banging my knee pretty good in the process. :toothy
and how did you do that MISTER????

·
4,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Kerry suits ya right for going out roostin on it prior to getting the suspension properly sorted with some vintage Ohlins forks and shock.:laughing

·
The Vespanator
4,964 Posts
:toothy Funny you should say that..... ;)

Actually, I think the front end grip mighta been OK if I wasn't on cold asphalt & knobbies which were made around the time I started college! :eek :D

·
4,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Kerry does that "still at $1101 tick tock tick tock" have to do with another bike that your bidding on for Kathy? ;)

·
The Vespanator
4,964 Posts
Maaaybeeee.....

The KLR2-fiddy deal appears to be OK - dude got a VIN# & says its 'on the sticker & the neck.

BUT, I might have chanced upon another much better match & may just turn the KLR over if we get the better one.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts