Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The TBR full system on my hawk has some rust spots. Acually lots of rusty spots. I plan to take it to a friend's (heated) garage tomorrow and do some work on her.

What do you recommend I use to get the rust out? I had planned on just taking the pipes off and sanding them down past the rust and spraying it over with a high-temp clearcoat.

what do ya think?

·
Moderator,
8,057 Posts
The chrome on the TBR pipes is pretty bad - for some reason the Hawk pipes seem to be the worst =0( If it isn't *too* bad , you can get quite a bit off with bronze wool and WD40 . The really rough spots might take some sanding . In my experience , none of the exhaust paints that are off the shelf work very well at all - even the more expensive PJ1 etc but I've never tried a high temp clear . You could look into having it rechromed , or you could get medieval on em and then have it high temp powder coated , ceramic coated , Jet Hot finished or whatever . If you just have some surface rust and it isn't pitted , you might get lucky and it'll clean up to the point that it'll look OK with rountine scrubbing but yeah , those TBR's are heaps - especially that hard to get to spot on the collector and the impossible to reach flange on the rear cyl - argh !!!

The best thing to do is to ask Santa for an M4 :laughing I don't know for sure if I have any TBR parts around anymore , the only spare Hawk pipes I know I have are a Supertrapp and the Hawk Connection lefty slipon but I might have some TBR headers that are in better shape than yours I'd give you : I know I don't have anything TBR from the collector back , but it's usually the headers that see the worst of it . I'll take a look in the AM .

·
Registered
4,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
joel647 said:
The chrome on the TBR pipes is pretty bad - for some reason the Hawk pipes seem to be the worst =0( If it isn't *too* bad , you can get quite a bit off with bronze wool and WD40 . The really rough spots might take some sanding . In my experience , none of the exhaust paints that are off the shelf work very well at all - even the more expensive PJ1 etc but I've never tried a high temp clear . You could look into having it rechromed , or you could get medieval on em and then have it high temp powder coated , ceramic coated , Jet Hot finished or whatever . If you just have some surface rust and it isn't pitted , you might get lucky and it'll clean up to the point that it'll look OK with rountine scrubbing but yeah , those TBR's are heaps - especially that hard to get to spot on the collector and the impossible to reach flange on the rear cyl - argh !!!

The best thing to do is to ask Santa for an M4 :laughing I don't know for sure if I have any TBR parts around anymore , the only spare Hawk pipes I know I have are a Supertrapp and the Hawk Connection lefty slipon but I might have some TBR headers that are in better shape than yours I'd give you : I know I don't have anything TBR from the collector back , but it's usually the headers that see the worst of it . I'll take a look in the AM .
Cool man.

I'd be willing to pay you some bucks for some parts too. I wouldn't mind having a lefty slipon.

Actually, I've been wanting to get some parts for a new exhaust so I can try to mod my TBR into a "big dick exhaust" kinda thing :)

let me know whatcha got and how much ya need! :D
http://www.wildnkrazed.com/BDTech/BDExhaust.html

·
Registered
24,660 Posts
balling up some aluminum foil works very good at removing rust, or some steel wool, the brillo pads with the pink soapy type stuff on them works very good

·
hope the sheep are happy before the shearing
2,694 Posts
Navel jelly is the old name.
they call it something else now and is at most auto stores.

it is a pink jelly like rust eater that will not scratch at all.
it is the best thing going

1 - 6 of 6 Posts