Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The TBR full system on my hawk has some rust spots. Acually lots of rusty spots. I plan to take it to a friend's (heated) garage tomorrow and do some work on her.

What do you recommend I use to get the rust out? I had planned on just taking the pipes off and sanding them down past the rust and spraying it over with a high-temp clearcoat.

what do ya think?

·
Moderator,
8,056 Posts
The chrome on the TBR pipes is pretty bad - for some reason the Hawk pipes seem to be the worst =0( If it isn't *too* bad , you can get quite a bit off with bronze wool and WD40 . The really rough spots might take some sanding . In my experience , none of the exhaust paints that are off the shelf work very well at all - even the more expensive PJ1 etc but I've never tried a high temp clear . You could look into having it rechromed , or you could get medieval on em and then have it high temp powder coated , ceramic coated , Jet Hot finished or whatever . If you just have some surface rust and it isn't pitted , you might get lucky and it'll clean up to the point that it'll look OK with rountine scrubbing but yeah , those TBR's are heaps - especially that hard to get to spot on the collector and the impossible to reach flange on the rear cyl - argh !!!

The best thing to do is to ask Santa for an M4 :laughing I don't know for sure if I have any TBR parts around anymore , the only spare Hawk pipes I know I have are a Supertrapp and the Hawk Connection lefty slipon but I might have some TBR headers that are in better shape than yours I'd give you : I know I don't have anything TBR from the collector back , but it's usually the headers that see the worst of it . I'll take a look in the AM .

·
Registered
4,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
joel647 said:
The chrome on the TBR pipes is pretty bad - for some reason the Hawk pipes seem to be the worst =0( If it isn't *too* bad , you can get quite a bit off with bronze wool and WD40 . The really rough spots might take some sanding . In my experience , none of the exhaust paints that are off the shelf work very well at all - even the more expensive PJ1 etc but I've never tried a high temp clear . You could look into having it rechromed , or you could get medieval on em and then have it high temp powder coated , ceramic coated , Jet Hot finished or whatever . If you just have some surface rust and it isn't pitted , you might get lucky and it'll clean up to the point that it'll look OK with rountine scrubbing but yeah , those TBR's are heaps - especially that hard to get to spot on the collector and the impossible to reach flange on the rear cyl - argh !!!

The best thing to do is to ask Santa for an M4 :laughing I don't know for sure if I have any TBR parts around anymore , the only spare Hawk pipes I know I have are a Supertrapp and the Hawk Connection lefty slipon but I might have some TBR headers that are in better shape than yours I'd give you : I know I don't have anything TBR from the collector back , but it's usually the headers that see the worst of it . I'll take a look in the AM .
Cool man.

I'd be willing to pay you some bucks for some parts too. I wouldn't mind having a lefty slipon.

Actually, I've been wanting to get some parts for a new exhaust so I can try to mod my TBR into a "big dick exhaust" kinda thing :)

let me know whatcha got and how much ya need! :D
http://www.wildnkrazed.com/BDTech/BDExhaust.html

·
hope the sheep are happy before the shearing
2,694 Posts
Navel jelly is the old name.
they call it something else now and is at most auto stores.

it is a pink jelly like rust eater that will not scratch at all.
it is the best thing going

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.