Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Moderator,
9,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a Sandisk Cruzer Micro from Best Buy and when I plug it into my laptop this U3 Launchpad program tries to open.

The problem is that the program never actually opens and I get an error that says

"U3 Launchpad Error: An error has occurred while initializing U3 Launchpad: Devise Connect Error. U3 Launchpad will close now."
After I get that error I click 'OK' and it goes away. Then I go to 'My Computer' and there are two new drives showing up one says "U3 System" and is labeled a CD Drive and the other is a "Removable Disk". Both drives say it has 0 bytes on them so I cannot move files to them.

Does anyone know how I can disable this U3 program and just use the Flash Drive as a Flash Drive? I tried turning off the Auto Play for the drives, this prevents the U3 program from starting, but the drives still show NO memory. I'm using Windows XP in case it matters.

If I can't figure this out by tomorrow I'm returning it to Best Buy.

·
Moderator,
9,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Aero 1 said:
what the hell is u3 launchpad?:confused
Apparently it's a program that allows you to install programs onto a flash drive, then these programs can be run on any computer you plug the flash drive into (as long as the computer is compatible).

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
BrettWho? said:
Apparently it's a program that allows you to install programs onto a flash drive, then these programs can be run on any computer you plug the flash drive into (as long as the computer is compatible).
its not in the add/remove programs?

·
Registered
861 Posts
I had problems with my Cruzer Mini. For the longest time it my computer wouldn't recognize it. It didn't work until I formated some time ago. Must have had a bad USB driver for it or something:confused

·
Moderator,
9,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dallas said:
I had problems with my Cruzer Mini. For the longest time it my computer wouldn't recognize it. It didn't work until I formated some time ago. Must have had a bad USB driver for it or something:confused
I have a 256KB Micro and a 1GB Mini that both worked fine, I never had a problem until I got this 1GB Micro that had the U3 crap on it.:shrug

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
BrettWho? said:
Well it worked for a little bit, but when I restart my computer I get the same problems, and when I use it on another computer I have the same problems.

Does anyone know how to stop this U3 program from loading every time I plug in this flash drive?
hold down the shift button while you plug it in so it wont "autorun"

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
can you go to Administrative Tools -->computer management-->disk management and maybe just format the flash drive??? That should get that crap off of there

·
Moderator,
9,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Converge said:
can you go to Administrative Tools -->computer management-->disk management and maybe just format the flash drive??? That should get that crap off of there
It won't, the flash drive is divided into two seperate drives, the U3 software is on one drive that is write-protected so you can't erase it.

If I don't get it working by tomorrow I'm returning it for a non U3 flash drive...or my money back.

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
BrettWho? said:
It won't, the flash drive is divided into two seperate drives, the U3 software is on one drive that is write-protected so you can't erase it.

If I don't get it working by tomorrow I'm returning it for a non U3 flash drive...or my money back.
download a linux live distro like ubuntu and nuke that file partition

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
Boot to a WinXP disk with the USB drive attached. When it asks what partition you want to install Windows on, start deleting partitions on the USB flash drive. Then, of course dont install windows, just reboot.

It worked when i did it by accident on an iPod :shrug :crackup :crackup

THEN, go into Disk Management and create and format a partition, or hell, create the partition back when you were booted to the WinXP disk.

That should work, no?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts