·
Moderator,
14,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who the hell dresses like that? :confused

PC on earth for Santa: Boy Claus booted out of N.H. school dance
By Kevin Rothstein
Friday, December 24, 2004

A 12-year-old New Hampshire boy who wanted to jolly up his junior high dance by dressing in a Santa suit instead got a lesson in political correctness when his Scroogelike principal turned the student away, fearing he might offend his classmates.

``I go by the principal and he asked me what I was wearing. I said a Santa suit and he shakes his head,'' recalled Hampton Academy Junior High student Bryan Lafond.

To make matters worse, Principal Fred Muscara sent the preteen home from the holiday dance by himself to change into more secular attire. His mother spotted her son in the rearview mirror as she drove away.

``He was crying, he was upset,'' Leslie Lafond said. ``He did it all to be Santa, to make people smile and laugh. That's what Santa does.''

The sorry Santa saga started with a $30 suit the jovial youngster bought at a Brooks pharmacy to wear at one of his first school dances. Not once, Bryan said, did he think he would be offending anyone.

Neighborhood pal Nick McGrail recalled, ``He said it's a Christmas dance and I'm going to dress up as a Santa to cheer everyone up.''

Lafond broke her own vow to stop talking publicly about the case after reading that Superintendent James Gaylord described her son's transgression as not dressing up enough.

She said her son was allowed to re-enter the dance in a T-shirt and the principal was clear about why he was booting Bryan.

``We were told by the principal that night that he had to be sensitive to other religions at the school,'' she said.

That surprised fellow seventh-grader May Pickard, since she remembered holiday tunes at the party, including the one about St. Nick's prize reindeer.

``They played `Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer' at the dance,'' she said.

Neither Muscara nor Gaylord returned phone calls, but the district education chief told The Union Leader that Bryan was kicked out of the dance for not living up to the dress code. He described it as requiring students to wear ``good clothes.''

Others weren't buying that line.

``It's sad, the political correctness has spread into the school system,'' said parent Kim Morse as she waited for her child outside the school.

``I didn't think it should have been a big deal,'' said student Shannyn Olivier.

``It's just a big fat man in a red suit,'' said her mom, Laurie Olivier.

·
Doin' the things a particle can...
37,282 Posts
thing is, the principal would have been fucked either way. If he would have let the kid in, some of the others in our pussified society would be raising a stink and suing the school for umpteen thousands of dollars, saying it "offended" them.

:shrug

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
The school I work in had Santa come visit the kids the other day and we have a christmas tree up. ANd last year the school board made a big deal that we were to say "Merry Christmas" to our students/families, this year Happy Holidays was also acceptable. I think what is allowed in schools and what isn't depends on the climate of the community you are in.

·
The hardest button to button.
9,942 Posts
This is just a crazy situation and it's sad that it's all come to this. :shake

·
Mama's Little Joey
14,769 Posts
Is Santa a religious icon??? wtf Let the 7th grader wear the Santa suit and don't be a prick about it. :rant :rant

If they're gonna take a religious/anti-Christmas stance, don't play Christmas music:rolleyes

·
Moderator,
17,102 Posts
I'm more concerned that they were turning a twelve year old kid out into the night by himself unchaperoned. If his mom hadn't looked into her rear view mirror, who would have been responsible if something happened to him?

·
The hardest button to button.
9,942 Posts
excessa said:
I'm more concerned that they were turning a twelve year old kid out into the night by himself unchaperoned. If his mom hadn't looked into her rear view mirror, who would have been responsible if something happened to him?
a huge +1 to that statement right there!! :clap

·
Registered
12,186 Posts
He started crying? What a punk.

·
Bike Bastardizer
1,265 Posts
+1 to santa having nothing to do with religion. What a dumbass.

I heard on the radio that the school also has a policy that once you enter or arrive at a school dance, that you are not allowed to leave the school grounds. So if he hadn't caught his mom in the parking lot, I guess he would have just had to wander around outside? WTF?!
This zero tollerance and PC stuff is getting absolutly rediculous. Have some common sense people.

·
Mama's Little Joey
14,769 Posts
Baby Gorilla said:
I smell a Santa suit. :laughing
I thought this would happen...Prtclmn is infecting others:laughing

·
Registered
580 Posts
does this shit happen overseas too? it seems like someone's always crying over someones other religin. if'n you don't like it , ignore it..............

1 - 15 of 15 Posts