Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished a rear fender off a customized Honda 750 Ace for a customer. I took it out in the driveway to get a few photos, and thought you guys would like this one (I did!)

Just a simple basecoat black with 4 coats of PPG2042 clear wet sanded and buffed out.....

·
Rolling Chicane
8,124 Posts
Nice. :thumb

·
The Vespanator
4,964 Posts
:thumb I'm planning on doing the RC in black & burying it in clear-coat also. :D
Hey Brian - have you tried the new PPG DC3000 clear?

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Looks schweeet!! :thumb

just glad you remembered to be clothed unlike the guy on ebay :crackup :crackup

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
er

Looks like a nice day to ride in that reflection
That was this morning;)

have you tried the new PPG DC3000 clear?
No, but I'll have to look into it! Right now I use PPG2042, but I am getting some HOK clear. My understanding is that they have an "old-school" clear (one of their "35" series) that is a high-solids and works well to layer up over the graphics, so you have plenty of "leveling" thickness to wet-sand and buff down......

·
The Vespanator
4,964 Posts
2042 is what my buddy in Nashville used & recommended, but when the DC3000 came out he raved about it.
It is basically like the 2042, but cheaper (around $160 per gal/qt mix + no DC61 req'd), and it flashes/dries ridiculously fast - like 5~10 min between coats & 24 hrs to full cure @ room temp (infrared cure in like 2hrs!).
Also a bit thicker & lays on nicer.
Thing is, it doesn't begin to run as quickly as 2042 - so my inexperienced ass hosed it on a bit too thick, thinking I was fine since it wasn't running at all - till I moved on and numerous little runs/sags developed after a minute. :slap <-Me :shrug
Gotta love wet-sanding & buffing.....:shake :D

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
so

no DC61? What do you use then? Reduce it and spray?

I kinda like the way 2042 dries, and at 70 degrees in 24 hours it is soft enough to still cut it with 2000g and wet sand and buff it out, then it cures hard in another 48 hours at 70 degrees. I am waiting to hear back from the HOK folks about their high solids clear.....

·
Registered
5,267 Posts
LOOKS GOOD!:drool :drool :drool

·
The Vespanator
4,964 Posts
Nope - it comes with it's own hardener (in 3 temp-ranges) - no DT reducer is required (though I think you can reduce it if so desired).
It's very similar to 2042, just that it can be wet-sanded within a few hours, and it's still relatively soft in 24.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts