Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my search for a sportbike i've found some adds for a yamaha called a seca II. I remember reading on sbn that this might make a good beginner bike. Any thoughts on this bikes suitability for a new rider and it's mechanical reliability? Also any links to sites with info regarding it would be appreciated since i have no idea what this bike looks like.

·
Super Moderator
23,498 Posts
Good bike. Easy riding. MEchanically reliable. Aircooled 600cc. You sit more upright on it and the bars are wider for easy handling. Unfortunately, people put it down because its not the 'latest & greatest' bike on the market.

·
Registered
27,266 Posts
My friend started out on one, it was a good bike. Easy to ride and had some power. He tricked it out with new mirrors, a lower ferring, and a yosh full exhaust ( not recommended since you had to drop the exhaust to get the oil filter off) Sure its not a great poser bike ( my friends could pass for one though:D ) but I would say its a good call for a starter bike.

Plus you could prolly get one prety cheap

Tom

·
Registered
316 Posts
Ideal bike for a new rider as Rob said. This is a simpler air cooled 600 & should have gone over well, but it was not with all the bells & whistles that some felt were needed. Personally if I came acoss one I would buy it for around town & for short runs.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I've heard they also have/had folding mirrors and flexible turn signal stalks... makes for no damage when dropped...

·
Registered
27,266 Posts
I think that the mirrors are on the handlebars. On my friends bike they were, he bought mirrors for an RF 900 and drilled into the plastic and mounted them like they are on most sportbikes. Made the bike look a lot better IMO

Tom

·
Registered
316 Posts
Those would have to be after-market products on the Seca II. Bikes were on the market for a few yrs in Cdn & none of the above.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the advice guys, i'll add it to my list of bikes to look at.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
About how much would it cost to have a mechanic check out a used bike for me?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the info eddy, $50.00 now is definetly worth saving hundreds or thousands of dollars later.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Mushin...

A point of note is that most bikes were designed to take abuse provided they are reasonably maintained.

The real wear will show on the sprockets, chain & tires. It's tough to destroy a bike;) .

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Re: Mushin...

eddynasty said:
A point of note is that most bikes were designed to take abuse provided they are reasonably maintained.

The real wear will show on the sprockets, chain & tires. It's tough to destroy a bike;) .
That's definetly good. After i get used to riding i'd love to give it a little abuse at a track day or two.

·
Moderator,
1,975 Posts
Its a great bike to start on. I still ride my 10 year old one. I have been on 6000 mile rides on it with all kings of gear, carried passengers well, ridden the twisties, ect.

Mine is in great running shape and has been as far as Alaska without a single problem.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I just bought one for my first bike. I love it so far. Rode it home today. I really like the way the bike looks. I had only rode the 250's in the MSF course before I bought the Seca which is a 600. I thought I would be intimidated because of the power difference, but the power is very managable. It has more than enough power for me, for now at least. I'd say get one.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ahhhh, the Seca II. That was my first bike when i turned 16. I got a '92 with only a couple hundred miles on it for $2000. I put a ton of miles on it, even rode it with a passenger, with all our luggage, for 9 hours from DC to Myrtle Beach. So it, definitely had enough power to get around and was comfortable.

But trying to keep up with my friend's GSXR750 down the back roads proved to be impossible. So after only a few short months, and after rolling my foot under the peg (note to self: toes on pegs around corners for more clearance), i opted to trade in my Seca II for something with more power and agility...but bottom line, i thought the seca II was a great first bike.

my $0.02

·
Rain Dancer
1,882 Posts
mushin_042 said:
In my search for a sportbike i've found some adds for a yamaha called a seca II. I remember reading on sbn that this might make a good beginner bike. Any thoughts on this bikes suitability for a new rider and it's mechanical reliability? Also any links to sites with info regarding it would be appreciated since i have no idea what this bike looks like.
Seca II is a perfect beginners bike, I just started riding in june of 2002, and my first bike is a 94 seca II. Enough power for a newbie and great sitting position. The bike was made from 92 to 99 US and european models... us model are 49 horses and european's were like 60 I think. There is a great group on Yahoo for seca owners which I belong to and if you buy one join it or sign up to get more info on it. Go on yahoo.com, go to the groups section, create a acct if you don't have one, and then search for secaIItalklist.. As far as keeping up with rest of the bikes, GOODLUCK.. Here are few pics of mine..

1 - 20 of 28 Posts