Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
my dirt bike has slicks
7,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been a Harley shareholder for a while now...the earnings report comes out on the 16th. Think I should sell beforehand?

Do you think the new V-Rod and Firebolt has substancially improved Harley (from a financial standpoint) or not?

·
Registered
11,198 Posts
I think the V-rod has pissed off a lot of the hardcore harley riders...
the Firebolt...
eh, it was a neat effort but wasn't really widely accepted...
I dunno to be honest...

·
Insomniac
891 Posts
hard to say. yes, its pissed off a lot of their "hardcore" customer base, but...it was also named bike of the year and i'm sure people are snatching them up like hotcakes. considering that their market now is mainly RUB's, i think the stock will only increase for a while.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
stay in for the long run see what happens with the new stuff

·
Registered
7,414 Posts
vizsladog44 said:
Well,unforunatly the bottom will fall out sometime.Harley can't have the resale they do ect...forever.
I agree, but I don't think it'll drop out anytime soon. There are way too many baby-boomers out there who still think Harley=cool and they'd all rather buy cool than be cool.
I think that they did have an increase in sales again this year, I would hold for now.

·
Registered
440 Posts
My old man's a long time harley buff. He said He'll never sit on a V-rod. "its too much like a rice bike" he says. I know alot of others feel the same. I do as well. I like the way it looks, but its not a real harley. So they wont gain bussiness from the old boys, but the younger crowd, too young to know the heritage, love and will buy them if they had the money.

·
my dirt bike has slicks
7,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ziadel said:
I think the V-rod has pissed off a lot of the hardcore harley riders...
That's what I'm afraid of...if they piss of the loyal base it will hurt the entire market, not just that customer base. Those people are the ones who drive the market and make the trends, even if they are not the largest customer base.

·
Registered
7,414 Posts
they may piss off their current customers, but what else would they buy??? There are few other low tech bikes with a tough guy rep without going custom, and that costs a whole lot. Maybe Victory will steal some business, but I doubt it will impact Harley too much.

·
my dirt bike has slicks
7,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
lightner22 said:
they may piss off their current customers, but what else would they buy???
Indians, customs, or used Harleys. Not all customs are $100k, there are cheaper alternatives. Jesse James may be showing the future here.

I think I just talked myself into selling. Thanks for the input everyone.

·
Registered
8,677 Posts
SELL! SELL! SELL!

·
1,480 Posts
The loyal customers are either going to continue to buy because they are loyal, or are going to continue customizing. Either way, they won't stray far.

Harley is trying to target youger people (that was the point of the Blast BTW).

·
Premium Member
10,229 Posts
Harley won't go down for another year atleast. Their 100th aniversary is next year, there will be a feeding frenzy on buying every little anniversary trinket HD puts out. Including their bikes. Plus with the V-Rod gaining popularity in the world in general they are opening up more and more to new customers who would have never considered a Harley before, because they were archaic. Plus Harley will continue to build 95% of market need, this will stimulate the want for their product. It's worked for almost 20 years now, I don't see it failing them yet. The company is sound, there are still plenty of customers, I don't see what the worry is:confused

·
my dirt bike has slicks
7,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
SprintST said:
Harley won't go down for another year atleast. Their 100th aniversary is next year, there will be a feeding frenzy on buying every little anniversary trinket HD puts out. Including their bikes. Plus with the V-Rod gaining popularity in the world in general they are opening up more and more to new customers who would have never considered a Harley before, because they were archaic. Plus Harley will continue to build 95% of market need, this will stimulate the want for their product. It's worked for almost 20 years now, I don't see it failing them yet. The company is sound, there are still plenty of customers, I don't see what the worry is:confused
The question is not, will they keep selling bikes. Of course they will.

The question is, will they live up to the massive amounts of hype that exists around the V-Rod. Will it meet or exceed these lofty market expectations, or will it just keep selling the same # of bikes it always had. With all the hype, and the resounding sigh that followed the introduction if the V-Rod, I figured no way.

However, I was wrong. I think. Maybe. Whatever. :confused

·
Premium Member
10,229 Posts
Sean said:
The question is not, will they keep selling bikes. Of course they will.

The question is, will they live up to the massive amounts of hype that exists around the V-Rod. Will it meet or exceed these lofty market expectations, or will it just keep selling the same # of bikes it always had. With all the hype, and the resounding sigh that followed the introduction if the V-Rod, I figured no way.
I think they will, once they start releasing the variants to come. Just look at the BMW cruiser series bikes. That's a break with traditional company values, and it's their 2nd best seller. With more variants to come. I think the V-Rod is a good platform that will be more than acceptable by the public in general. Traditionalist will alway complain about change, but there will always be those ready to put money down on the "new".

·
Premium Member
10,229 Posts
Sean said:
Well it's a little late now!! :laughing
Point taken, sorry I'll shut up now.:D

·
Registered
12,619 Posts
Why does the V-rod "Piss" off the classic Harley crowd?? Its about the only Harley and doesn't look like an overpriced pile of worthless chrome. I would actually buy one of those (well after an Aprilla Mille R, Gixxer 750, Firebolt and Duc748):redflip

1 - 19 of 19 Posts