Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
I'm not a poser... It's just a speed impediment
2,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First person to put up a grand for this gets it before it goes up on ebay. It's a 1984 (originally pre-rebuild) Honda XL350R.

Plusses:
-Rebuilt with larger bore and only ridden off-road a bit since then, almost no on-road
-Looks excellent for its age
-parts are still available and can be found on ebay just about all the time
-really easy to adjust valves (and was just done by me recently)
-carb(dual carbs actually) has been spot on for years and never given me issues
-Comfy ride, upright seat
-New fork seals installed by me recently
-extra set of on-road tires
-extra clutch, spark plug, oil filter, and service manual included
-absolutely nothing is NEEDED on this to my knowlege, and I only suggest a future o-ring replacement for good measure and long term reliability
-it's street legal!
-I hate to sell it, but need the money, so it's a pressure sell (win for you).
-$1000 can't buy anything much so it's a cheap toy
-FAR better on the harder offroad stuff than my 650
-PLENTY-o-torque

Minuses/questionable:
-I have no idea of its long distance on-road characteristics. I've had no problems riding to and from the local trails or up to I-YAM for dinner rides. I once or twice noticed some oil dribbling down a bit at high speeds but I think it's just some o-ring somewhere. .. NEVER drips or leaks when sitting in my garage, and the dribbles were litterally barely a few drops (no loss of oil level)
-I took off the rear turn signals
-the light in the speedo seems to be burned out but I only noticed that last time I rode at night
-The carb insulator is somewhat fabricated by me moulding glue to complete it. It can be purchased new still or maybe the spare one I have (for the 600 version) would fit.
-I have no key for it so I rigged it up with a button
-It's a kick start (but I really think it's pretty easy to start and takes off a lot of weight without it)

Here's some pics:

·
Registered
5,267 Posts
Nice bike.:thumb

·
Registered
5,267 Posts
Are all the parts interchangeable with the newer models?:confused

·
Registered
5,267 Posts
Monstrvtwin said:
Are all the parts interchangeable with the newer models?:confused
One other question, does that model have the 21" front tire and the 17" rear?:confused

·
2,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There are no newer models. It was only made 2 years, but was still one of the best selling bikes honda ever had. Don't ask me why they ever discontinued it, but they went on to the XL-600R and XR-650L. I still wish they'd reintroduce a smaller bore road legal dualy. It's still easy to find parts though by just searching for "xl350r" on ebay and there's quite a few sites out there that have parts for sale for it.

The engine has never changed in 22 years though other than size. They've always been air-cooled RFVC (radial four valve configuration or something-er-other), and having both this engine and the 650 engine apart, the only difference is the oil location (frame tube versus engine case)

·
2,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Monstrvtwin said:
One other question, does that model have the 21" front tire and the 17" rear?:confused
yes, most newer bikes have 21" and 18", but this is 21" and 17". At one point Honda had this odd 23" front but this luckily isn't the case on this bike (just try to find a dmn 23" tire out there)

·
Registered
5,267 Posts
Thanks.:thumb

·
2,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
SOLD

:D :eek :cry

Man, I already miss it. Damnit regret sets in.....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts