Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am remounting my rims after getting new tires on and I was wondering if I should use wheel bearing grease on the axles before reinstalling. If so what kind? and should I grease the whole axle or just certain spots.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Hawker said:
Grease lightly......LIGHTLY.
What's the big idea behind "lightly" .. what could excessive lubrication cause? :crackup Honest question.. :laughing Seriously.

·
Rule #34
14,509 Posts
ol808lo said:
What's the big idea behind "lightly" .. what could excessive lubrication cause? :crackup Honest question.. :laughing Seriously.
Icky mess with the possibility of getting it on you rotors. Grease plus pads = new pads :(

·
Registered
365 Posts
You grease the axel so a year from now when you take off the rims for new tires the axel is not rusted in place. You are greasing it to aid insertion. Think of a little joke,"big or little,thick or thin,Vasoline will get you in".

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So a thin layer of vavoline syn wheel bearing grease is ok, I also rubbed a little bit of grease on top of the bearings where the spacer rides. I did not take the bearings out, how often should you replace them? or repack them? I don't have the special tools for it.

·
Rule #34
14,509 Posts
Front bearings are sealed. NO servicing of those really. I was able to remove those with a large socket and good sized mallet. I reinstal them, put them in the freezer and try to get the wheel as warm as possible. The bearings will contract in the cold and the wheel will expand in heat.

I would repack the rear wheel bearings at a particular service interval. I repack mine when I change my plugs. Every 10k or so. (Suzuki) You can tell how worn they are by putting your bike on a rear wheel stand and trying to shake the rear wheel. If it's tight, they're good.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Joe-G,
Never-seize compound works better than grease, but by all means, apply some sort of corrosion protection to the axles, spacers, bearings, and any other internal bores. Don't be afraid to put on too much lubricant, as you simply wipe off any excess as you assemble the components. You’ll find that Never-seize is nearly impossible to wipe off with a rag, but that’s precisely why it’s a better protection method.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts