Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
The Artful Dodger
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a used Yoshi Slip-on for my '02 YZF-600R. The guy who gave it to me said that when he put it on, he re-jetted the carbs after a couple thousand miles...he bought some kit I think.

I asked him if I should do the same, and he described what a pain in the ass it is...apparently there are brass caps on the jets that are hard to work with, and it will void my warranty. To be honest, I would rather just not deal with it, and leave it as is.

He said possible consequences of not re-jetting are
1. The bike might run lean at high RPM's and possibly blow the engine
2. Generally running a little lean
3. The engine can 'pop' with sudden release of hard acceleration

Since installing it, I had the chance for a high speed highway run, and I did not experience any lack of power at all. In fact, it seemed to have even more push at and around 150 mph than it did before. The bike runs very smoothly, no popping noises on release of the throttle.

All in all, I would say that it runs better than before the stock pipe. Should I still re-jet? Could I hurt my bike if I don't? Bear in mind, money is pretty tight right now, and I can only afford to perform necessity work on it.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
That's a tough question, but seeing that the bike run well in your opinion (the only opinion that matters), I'd stay where you're at.

Depending on how mechanically inclined you are...you may want to try installing the kit. For me, I wouldn't touch my own carbs and had a shop install my Dynokit. They also had a Dyno to test the performance. Cost me $275 for installation of the exhaust (full exhaust), Jet kit and 2 runs on the dyno. I'm pretty happy with it so far.

The guy was right. Not rejetting could produce a lean running carbs, but with only a slip on, it's probably not a big deal...as you've seen in riding it. I think it depends on certain bike/slip on combinations; whereas full pipes generally warrent a rejet.

Of course, when you have the time/money/inclination, it may not hurt to jet...but I'll let some of the experts debate that!! :)

·
The Artful Dodger
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good point

I am mechanically enclined...but I haven't done alot of work on my bike. My collection of tools is also pretty meager, but given instructions and tools, I can do just about anything.

I have access to tools, but he was talking about some major work involved with those brass caps, I don't recall what specifically was involved. I hesitate to go there.

Another question: If my bike IS running lean, (and I mean noticeably) which I would consider grounds for getting it re-jetted, would I be able to tell just by riding it? I mean, if its lean, will I notice less power, or are they unrelated? What other ways could I determine if it is running lean, or any other conditions caused by the new pipe? Remember, if anything it feels like it has a little more balls than before.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Lean is hard to tell by just riding it... Think back and remember how your temperature gauge worked before you made the changes. Starting at a low RPM range, hold a stead RPM and watch the temperature (while moving). If it rises rapidly (more so than you remember) you're probably lean. Do this for about every 1K RPMs. Otherwise, w/o an O2 sensor or a 4gas analyzer you're not really going to have much indication to go on.

Unless it's REALLY lean, the bike will probably run fine. It's those really lean situations you have to watch out for where you burn a valve or a piston.

(at least that's how I understand it)

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Oh yah, check the plugs... wtf is my brain today...

·
The Artful Dodger
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All right, I plan on keeping her for a few years, so i better do this right.

I have an oil change and fairing-painting session comming up, so that will be a good time I suppose.

Huey: As for 1888fastlap.com, can you only order via the phone? They didn't have prices, how much will the Factory Pro Stage 1 run me?

I can do the drilling, etc...but I will need directions. Can anyone give me links to instructions on how to do this, and links to settings. I am not asking for people to do my research for me, only if you have the sites bookmarked or something...

Also, I heard I have to re-tune the engine. How does one go about doing that?

EDIT*******
What the hell color is ashen? :redflip no seriously, what color is that?

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
dove white / grey-ish white... Looks like the lighter part of cigarette ash...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Not to bastardize....

I have a swingarm for a YZF600R if you need one.
No scratches or anything.
It is used.

Make me an offer.

·
The Artful Dodger
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Espresso

Thanks Espresso...you are the man!

I hope nobody gets their feelings hurt by his comments, I am greatful for everybody's contributions.

As for the guy who sold me the pipe, I am sure that he gave me the right info, he knows his stuff, I think I just did a lousy job regurgitating what he said. When he gave me the spiel, I was thinking I wasn't gonna bother cause I had heard that it isn't essential to re-jet with just a slip-on...so I wasn't carefully paying attention.

Although I am an engineer, and consider myself capable of following directions, etc... I have no experience with working with carbs, and only a tiny bit of experience working with engines at all.

Like I said, my main concern was causing damage to my bike...it seems like my biggest drawback of not re-jetting would be not taking full advantage of the new pipe. I can live with that...although I would like to eventually jet it.

Espresso: I'll fly you out to PA for a weekend and you can help me :redflip No, but seriously, thanks for taking the time to give your expertise.

RockWVU: question, why do you think I need a swingarm? Sorry, mine is good...try the classifieds

·
The Artful Dodger
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh right, I am a doofus! I forgot about that link. In fact, I remember reading about that before...was it at SBN? You were debating whether or not you should help pay for the damgage.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
lehighluke said:
Oh right, I am a doofus! I forgot about that link. In fact, I remember reading about that before...was it at SBN? You were debating whether or not you should help pay for the damgage.
I think WS. That was a while back. It's all been settled. I posted a link to the pics a little bit up the page.

·
Mostly found on sportbikes.ws
21 Posts
Damn...that guy that sold you the pipe sounds like one helluva great guy! :redflip

Like I said before, I still have the jet kit on the 600R - was just too lazy to replace with stock jets & needles after removing the slipon. I can certainly do that before selling her if you want to save a few bucks...still willing to help with the install too.

E

1 - 12 of 12 Posts