Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Can anyone recommend a bikestand for single-sided swingarm equipped Triumphs such as the Speed Triple?

I know that Skyking offers one, but theirs is $260.00 !!

Does TrickTape offer one? Might as well support our "parent company".

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I remeber an old post from SBN where someone had single-sided stands for like $60 or something but I can't remember where.

If I am not mistaken, Silver Surfer posted it and if not he might have a way to find out about that post as he was also the moderator of the Euro forum over there as well.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I bought a Triumph SSSA stand from my dealer when I got the bike. After talking to the Mech in the Service Dept. I learned the Pitt Bull stand is the way to go. The Shaft that is inserted into the swingarm has needle bearings so the rear wheel can spin to clean / oil the chain and stuff like that. The Triunph stand does not turn so it tries to corkscrew itself off the stand if you spin the wheel too much. Just adding my .02$ :cigar

Late!
Brent

·
Registered
238 Posts
i have a factory triumph stand and have no problems with it yes if you turn the rear wheel too much it starts to work its way of the stand but i just give it a nudge as i turn it and it slides back on.:cigar

·
Moderator,
8,028 Posts
I use a PitBull reversible stand for my Daytona. The reversible stand allows you to work on the sprocket when insert the stand through the right side of the hollow axle. The big feature as far as I'm concerned, is the ability to put your bike on the stand and have the handle come forward. With the handle coming forward you're able to stand next to the bike and hold on to the left grip while putting the bike up. Much easier, imo, than standing behind the bike. See the attached photo.

Here's the cheapy stand from Kowa Tools:
<iframe src=http://www.kowatools.com/cgi-bin/miva?Merchant2/merchant.mv+Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=AKS2000&Category_Code=SPECIALS width=100% height=400><a href=http://www.kowatools.com/cgi-bin/miva?Merchant2/merchant.mv+Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=AKS2000&Category_Code=SPECIALS target=newWin>Click here for the swingarm stand specials</a></iframe>

·
Registered
39 Posts
Ditto on the PitBull. I've used one for a couple of years on my Daytona, probably the most frequently used tool I have for that bike. That said, I sold the Daytona last week, and will sell the stand for $75 to anyone in the Denver metro area, I'm not going to ship it.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Ditto on the great name of Pitbull. I still have mypitbull stand for my dearly departed Daytona as well. I'll sell it for the same $75 but you pay the shipping from DC.

·
Moderator,
8,028 Posts
I found another shot of my PitBull in case anyone was interested... this is the picture that I sent to PitBull, but I don't think they ever used it.

And there's my dearly departed Audi 100CS in the background :(

·
Cranky Euro-Gnome
1,344 Posts
I use a home made stand that a guy was building and selling a few years ago. It's heavy, ugly, and the axle pin doesn't spin. BUT, it's possibly the sturdiest stand I've ever used and the bike isn't going anywhere while using it.
I guess that means it has character:laughing :D .
CHeers, Lee S.

BTW, Off Topic, Sean, what the hell happened to your Audi? You didn't :chainsaw another dog with it, did ya?

·
Moderator,
8,028 Posts
off topic response. I binned my Audi last Friday on my way to work.

In Massachusetts, on rt 128, it's legal to use the breakdown lane between the hours of 7am and 10 am. At approximately 9:30 am, I was on my way to work in the breakdown lane behind a VW Golf and a Ford Explorer. The Explorer slowed to take an offramp, when it moved out of the way the Golf and I sped up and then the Golf performed an extremely quick lane change to the left and there sat a '92 Mercury Sable. I had nowhere to go, so I slammed on the brakes. When I realized that I was going to hit the car, I tried to go over a curb onto a grassy median, but the curb slowed me down and I rearended the guy. As far as I know, he wasn't broken down, he was on the phone or something and he didn't know that that area used the breakdown lane.

I was told this past Thursday that my car is a total loss, which just breaks my heart. It was a '92 with 87k miles on it, new Bilsteins, 16" A4 sport wheels, and a new set of Kumho Supra 712's on them. It was just a gorgeous car and I wanted to keep it for a long time. The bonus was, it was fully paid off and it had a lot of life left in it. Now it's gone.

We just went and checked out new Passats and some '99 A6s. I think the A6 is what we'll end up with, but they're automatic only and that just bores me. We'll see what happens.

·
Cranky Euro-Gnome
1,344 Posts
Bummer, I know you loved that car, in spite of the color:redflip :D
Glad you weren't hurt but if you look around, they're offering some really sweet lease deals on the Audis right now. Good luck.
Cheers, Lee S.

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all your suggestions (I knew I could count on yous!).

I have forwarded this info to my wife, and am now waiting for her to buy a stand for me for Christmas. (I'm such a cheap bastard!)

·
Cranky Euro-Gnome
1,344 Posts
AaUuuuGaa! said:
Thanks for all your suggestions (I knew I could count on yous!).

I have forwarded this info to my wife, and am now waiting for her to buy a stand for me for Christmas. (I'm such a cheap bastard!)
Good call:thumb . That's what I do with the Warden. Honeeeeey, here's my list, how much it is, and where to buy it from:D
Cheers, Lee S.

·
Registered
376 Posts
SilverSurfer said:
I found another shot of my PitBull in case anyone was interested... this is the picture that I sent to PitBull, but I don't think they ever used it.
They do have a beauty requirement for bikes in their promotion material, you know. Sorry, but silver loses again. :redflip

And now that you're car shopping, how about considering a nice RS6?

A

·
0 Posts
lol. Has sliverslut ever missed an opprotunity to post a pic of his bike? :redflip

·
Moderator,
8,028 Posts
the jealousy around here is terrible!! :shake

Ya, I thought I had $80k laying around for an RS6, but now I can't find it. I'm looking for an A6 2.8q, that'll happen soon.

·
Forum Leader,
17,387 Posts
I have the pitbull SSSA stand for my Hawk...basically the same stand, different pin ;) Very easy to use, and rock solid :thumb

(thanks Rez @ tricktape :D )

1 - 17 of 17 Posts