Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been riding on the same binders now for over 20,000 miles and was thinking it's about time for a new set of brakes. However, I don't know what kind of brakes are on my bike nor which ones I should go with. I want better than OEM brakes since I am putting stainless lines on it. What are sintered brakes and how do I know if they came on my bike. My owners manuel was lost several thousand miles ago. Thanks for any help.

·
Sportbike rider
711 Posts
Your OEM brake calipers should be good enough for riding on the street. Look at getting a set of EBC HH pads. New pads, new brake fluid and those stainless lines will make a big improvement over what you have now. EBC pads normally run about $45-55 a pair and you will need two pair for the front.

·
pic whore extraordinaire
257 Posts
EBC HH pads are the worst on the market... The only people that like them are the ones that don't need them :rolleyes EBC's have very thin backing plates & if you use the brakes hard enough to need the Sintered compound then they end up warping that thin backing plate & causing parasitic drag. This is a very well known & documented in the industry & among racers. Rumor has been circulating for a couple years now that EBC corrected that problem, but the same complaints just keep coming in about the warping so sticking on the safe side I would just avoid them altogether.

If you want to step up to a better pad there are many other choices out there & you will find that the new Vesrah & Galfer race compound pads while pricey are some of the best on the market & far surpass the extremely dated EBC's. There are also cheaper pads available from those same brands that are still extremely good by all current standards & don't overlook other brands like DP as well. However if you aren't doing trackdays on a regular basis or more to the point if you are still running stock suspension then save your money & stick with your OEM pads as they typically have the best compromise of stopping power, feedback & longevity (especially OEM Honda pads which are considered to be better than many aftermarket pads)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I appriciate all your input, but my real ? is what are "sintered pads" and how do I know if I have them or need them. I have put new fluid and stainless lines and it has made a dramatic improvement, even with the stock pads. With this being said, pretty much all of my riding is done back and forth to work every day and an occasional cruise around town w/friends, so I don't need racing pads, I just want good, quality brakes. Thanks again.

·
Registered
39 Posts
My MZ came with steel lines and Sinter pads. I replaced them with Ferodo Sinters recently and have been really pleased with them. Click to read up on Sinters vs organics. They mentions such things as rotor construction material and appropriate uses (Road/track). Good luck

·
Registered
39 Posts
Oh yeah, Ferodo Sinters cost approx $45 / pair. I have heard that EBC HH tend to eat up your rotors pretty quickly. I have never had them so I can't say for sure.
Good Luck

1 - 7 of 7 Posts