Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
How do I work this thing?
3,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Chad, Mike, I think you should show these pics at your classes to all the people that dont think full leathers is important when riding. "oh its too hot, I like my beanie helmet, I'm not going to crash" etc. I'm actually going to print some of these out and keep them in my pocket this summer for people that laugh at my gear. She used to be a pretty girl

Graphic

and YES! i mis-spelled Asphalt :nanana

·
The Vespanator
4,964 Posts
"Here's the jist of it: I was a passenger on my friend Sean's GXSR 750, we were going WAY fast on highway 550 (that means about 120mph), and my helmet visor flipped open, making me instantly un-aerodynamic, and ripping me off the back of the bike. I tumbled 522 feet down the highway and slid to a stop across the yellow lines at mile marker 8. The guy riding behind us said I looked like a bag of trash rollin' down the highway, and he had to swerve to avoid hitting me. I ended up on my stomach, with my right arm pinned underneath me and my left arm extended out onto the road. My clothes were shredded, my helmet was fucked, and my shoes were gone... they had all been claimed by the cement. My injuries included, but were not limited to, 50 percent body coverage of third degree "pavement" burns , which we lovingly call "road rash." To get an idea of what this means, some of my bones, tendons, and even internal organs were exposed in several places, and chunks of muscle and skin were completly missing. I lost half of my left breast (which I still am sad about). I also dislocated my right big toe and severed all the tendons in my left pinky finger. However, I didn't break any bones whatsoever. This is probably because I let myself go limp, as I just wanted to die while I tumbled on the cement. The ambulance arrived 45 minutes later because we were out in the middle of nowhere (Indian Reservation!). Once the Paramedics realized the extent of my injuries, they called the helicopter out and flew me to UNMH, where I stayed until just yesterday. So, after 8 surguries and 2 long months in the hospital, I am happy to report that I am home and alright. But, I did have to learn to walk again, and my scars will never go away, and many scars I do have. As of now, I look pretty gross under my clothes, but my pretty face survived.

Of course, I do not regret getting on the bike because you never know when something like that could happen. It was a Sunday drive, and I was sober when I chose to ride. Nothing could have changed what happened or even warned me about the problem with my helmet. I only hope that poor Sean has stopped blaming himself and that he comes with me to Vegas for my birthday. It's amazing what you can learn about a person if you simply fall off their motorcycle. "

:(

Nothing but gear. :slap

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
She is really pretty....I hate that has happened to her.
If your going to fall off you better be prepared for it.
I don't always wear the most protection avaliable when I ride but I always have something on at the least.

Makes me want to wear leather.....everytime....

Kathy I am so glad you were wearing your leather on our last ride.....Smart Woman! :clap

·
Trackday Whore
4,788 Posts
Leather is best, but you don't have to wear leather to have adequate protection. I've got a set of leathers, and if the weather is just right, I might consider wearing them on the street (plus, my wife thinks I look good in them! :) ), but nothing can beat my Aerostich for protection and comfort. It's warm in the winter, and tolerable (NOT cool) in the summer. I will wear my leather vented jacket and my Darien pants on really hot days, but if I'm going to be riding aggressively, I'll don the Stich. Especially for long multiday tours. It's waterproof too, so I don't need a rainsuit unless it's calling for heavy thunderstorms.

Yeah, Aerostich gear is expensive and ugly, but when it comes to riding comfort and crash performance, it can't be beat. Check out the link below to find out why it's such good gear.

http://www.aerostich.com/catalog/US/Roadcrafter-Features-sp-17.html

·
"We will preserve for our children th
606 Posts
HokieDNA01 said:
.......and keep them in my pocket this summer for people that laugh at my gear.
:nanana
Are you shitting? You actually had folks laugh at you?
Clueless douchebags:kickballs

Sad thing about that her is that she is lucky. Every year, every day there is a story of a girl in her predicament cus she wanted to wear a tube top and show her titties on a hot summer day. Her asshat boyfriend will eventuallly leave her and she will prob find someone who really cares about her now. She would of looked real hot in Dainese leathers. Now she is just a statistic.

·
3,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Re: Skin vs. Asfault!

dartfrog said:
Are you shitting? You actually had folks laugh at you?
Clueless douchebags:kickballs

Well that is mostly when I ride with people on cruisers/Harleys. But i have seen lots of squids out on sportbikes too with t-shirts on. I feel naked in anything less than leathers on a bike now that i'm used to them and have seen first hand how the help in a lowside crash. Not a scratch on me. :clap I also wasn't going "120mph" like that girl was supposedly going when she had her get off. I think ONLY leather could protect you from that speed.

·
Trackday Whore
4,788 Posts
When I crashed my RT, I was only doing 55-60mph and had on full gear (cheap Joe Rocket textile crap though) and the slide burned through my pants on both knees and one leg, the jacket burned through at my shoulder, and my gloves burned through at the knuckles.

I wish this lady the best. I walked away from my get off with my worst injury being a right index knuckle being worn down to the tendon. Other than a bit of rash and some bruises, I was fine. Gear, even cheap stuff, works.

Here are my pics (not graphic):

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
That makes me want to never wear vented gear again.

Shredded right up didn't ?

·
Registered
58 Posts
She got pulled off the bike by her visor :confused

Would YOUR visor stay attached to your helmet with 120+ pounds pulling on it?

·
The Vespanator
4,964 Posts
MotoRider said:
Kathy I am so glad you were wearing your leather on our last ride.....Smart Woman! :clap
+1meeeelion! :D :thumb

-1 on the cheaper textile stuff.
Once on a winter ride, I forgot what I was wearing & decked my knee lightly in a pair of decent but J/R 'ballistic' (sounds like a firearm/military term so it must be tough, right....:beat) nylon 'over' pants. Ground right through them within .5~1 sec. & began melting the pool-float foam 'armor' beneath. No thank you - not for me anymore. Within a couple of months, I eBay'd a set of much more substantial Dainese w/ fitted hard-armor (at least as important as general abrasion-protection, more so in prevention of l/t joint injury, IMO).

I think the truly tough(er) high thread-count, more heavily reinforced & stitched stuff is pretty damn good (like AeroStich's & the higher-end stuff - J/R included, even).
But whenever feasible (and definitely for higher-speed hijinx!) - gimme heavy, hot, stinky, time-consuming-to-don, expensive, dead-cow hide with top-notch hard armor most anyday (and I've tumbled on my head & ass & various othe body-parts more times than I care to admit, so unfortunately I speak from experience..... but I'm still unscathed except for a kinda pointy collarbone. :shake :shrug :laughing).

~k,
I'm just more grateful than my words can express that you weren't hurt (much ) & it played out to be a fairly minor incident. You're officially 'not ever allowed to get hurt' (much ;)) on a bike or otherwise - I love you & like riding with you too much. :cruisin :cruisin ....... ;)

Our impending dirt/trail/adventure-riding career is gonna go a looong way toward helping both of us get more comfortable w/ traction management & slinging a bike around (and down! :laughing) - fairly safely & cheaply, even.

Oh - BTW ya'll, I done got me a dirty-bike last night! :banana
Vintage & pretty great condition little scooter, too - THANKS Jason! (lespaul85) . :hail :clap :)

http://www.cycleforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=211425

·
Rolling Chicane
8,124 Posts
I think the only advantage aerostitch has is water resistance, it's still nowhere near as durable as cow......or even better......kangaroo. :thumb

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Sig said:
I think the only advantage aerostitch has is water resistance, it's still nowhere near as durable as cow......or even better......kangaroo. :thumb
There are pros and cons to each. The ballistic nylon isn't nearly as likely to tear, and it slides better...of course it will melt and burn you if you don't have a layer or clothes underneath. Leather is more likely to tear, doesn't slide as well and can hang up causing you to tumble when you do slide, but good leather will abrade better and be less likely to wear through. Leather is definitely the best protection for high speed riding, for the street Aerostich will give you as much protection as long as you are using good armor and not Areostich's cheesey stuff.

And I don't agree that even cheap gear works. After looking at those pictures I would say that gear failed miserably..especially the gloves. Good gear would have you walking away with no abrasion injuries and definitely no tendons showing.:eek

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
Kerry_129

Congratulations on your new bike!

Chad and I have talked about getting some dual sports, actually Chad had one and traded it off for some BMW thing he got rid of too quickly :laughing after he lost a race with my car.

·
Trackday Whore
4,788 Posts
Cheap gear does beat the everlovin hell outta nuttin though!
That was my point. Not everyone is willing to pay big dollars for high quality textile or leather gear. I've taught MSF courses for a number of years, and on the range all that's required is a long sleeve t-shirt, jeans (or other heavy pants), any type of full finger gloves (yes...even gardening gloves), and over the ankle footwear. It will work fine if someone goes down at 10mph. But I always explain to the students that this is NOT proper gear for the street. Invariably someone speaks up and says, "Well, I ain't plannin' to ride fast like you, so I don't need all that expensive gear." I tell then there are alternatives that aren't expensive, hot, heavy, or ugly. I'd rather see them in some cheap Joe Rocket Phoenix gear, than shorts, flip flops, and a t-shirt. If for no other reason than they will be getting a hideous sunburn.

As for my cheap gear. The NC State Trooper measured my slide at 150ft. Had I not been wearing what I had on, I would have been hurt much worse. I'd say the gear (especially the jacket) did pretty well considering it was a $100 pair of pants and a $150 jacket I got on sale. The gloves sucked!! I wear nothing but gloves that have knuckle armor in the now. Just dropped 2 Franklins back last summer on a pair of Held kangaroo golves. They rock!! The cheap gear didn't work as good as my $800 Aerostich (which has VERY good armor in it....the visco-elastic stuff is wonderful...mine has hard armor over the foam) but I was pleased for what I had invested in it. I've never battle tested my Alpinestars leathers, so I can't say anything about them other than the knee sliders work well. :) (need to get a back protector though)

The point is....it's all about risk and what you're willing to accept. I'm willing to risk greater injury in exchange for comfort, versatility, and ease of use. On a long ride or a multi-day tour, I put on and take off my Roadcrafter several times so that I can be comfortable when I take a break. That's the same reason I opted for a two piece leather suit. I prefer to take the jacket off when I'm resting.

The important point is to make sure you follow the ATGATT theory. For those of you who don't know what that is, it's "All The Gear All The Time". You never know when the pavement monster is going to bite.

·
The Vespanator
4,964 Posts
:werd BTW - I have a Held back protector laying around I've been meaning to put back on ebay. It's a bit large/thick for my torso & leathers, but you're welcome to check it out if you want - it's a good quality & might be just fine for you since you're much taller than I. $40 was my cost & my price - I could leave w/ Kathy if you're interested :D

·
Trackday Whore
4,788 Posts
Yeah...I'd like to check it out. My jacket doesn't have a pocket in it, so it will need to be a strap on type.

<Bevis and Butthead voice>

Uh...heh...heh...heh....he said "strap on".

Shut up Bevis!

<Bevis and Butthead voice off>

:)

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
chadhargis said:
That was my point. Not everyone is willing to pay big dollars for high quality textile or leather gear. I've taught MSF courses for a number of years, and on the range all that's required is a long sleeve t-shirt, jeans (or other heavy pants), any type of full finger gloves (yes...even gardening gloves), and over the ankle footwear. It will work fine if someone goes down at 10mph. But I always explain to the students that this is NOT proper gear for the street. Invariably someone speaks up and says, "Well, I ain't plannin' to ride fast like you, so I don't need all that expensive gear." I tell then there are alternatives that aren't expensive, hot, heavy, or ugly. I'd rather see them in some cheap Joe Rocket Phoenix gear, than shorts, flip flops, and a t-shirt. If for no other reason than they will be getting a hideous sunburn.

As for my cheap gear. The NC State Trooper measured my slide at 150ft. Had I not been wearing what I had on, I would have been hurt much worse. I'd say the gear (especially the jacket) did pretty well considering it was a $100 pair of pants and a $150 jacket I got on sale. The gloves sucked!! I wear nothing but gloves that have knuckle armor in the now. Just dropped 2 Franklins back last summer on a pair of Held kangaroo golves. They rock!! The cheap gear didn't work as good as my $800 Aerostich (which has VERY good armor in it....the visco-elastic stuff is wonderful...mine has hard armor over the foam) but I was pleased for what I had invested in it. I've never battle tested my Alpinestars leathers, so I can't say anything about them other than the knee sliders work well. :) (need to get a back protector though)

The point is....it's all about risk and what you're willing to accept. I'm willing to risk greater injury in exchange for comfort, versatility, and ease of use. On a long ride or a multi-day tour, I put on and take off my Roadcrafter several times so that I can be comfortable when I take a break. That's the same reason I opted for a two piece leather suit. I prefer to take the jacket off when I'm resting.

The important point is to make sure you follow the ATGATT theory. For those of you who don't know what that is, it's "All The Gear All The Time". You never know when the pavement monster is going to bite.
Not really wanting to pick a gear fight here, and I agree that anything is better than nothing. Your hands would have been worse off if you had been riding without the gloves you had on, but your point about price doesn't really hold water. There are other choices (especially for gloves) in that price range that would offer better protection. I mean. you could have been wearing those gardening gloves for less money and gotten the same protection. Now the Held's are nice and they are very crash worthy, I'm on my second pair and I love them. Crashed in my first pair several times and they are still fine for street riding. Crashed in my second pair twice and you can barely tell they have been down. Excellent quality and worth every penny, even if you paid full retail.

·
Rolling Chicane
8,124 Posts
I love my held gloves. :thumb

I highly recommend the Akira gloves by Held. :thumb :thumb

·
3,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Now this girl was MUCH smarter....too bad the JACK ASS in the civic wasn't (cycle angel by the way)

smoothcurvesracing.com/images/Accident20060210.wmv

1 - 20 of 26 Posts