Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I should have asked these before buying the bike, but oh well......

1. How is the seat height on these? I'm 5'7" but had no problem reaching flat-footed on my ZX-9R

2. What's the break-in on these, 600mi. or 1000mi.?

3. How easy is it to remove the rear fender? I've always used a dremmel on my other bikes, is it easy to remove?

4. Is Dennis Kirk still the best place to buy flush mount directionals and stuff like that?

5. Yoshimura RS-3 cans........slip-on or full exhaust?

Thanks!!!

·
Moderator,
16,949 Posts
Don't own one but play one on TV.

1... Standard fair for a sportbike. Though a friend with one is probably 5'8"-5'9" and he tippy toes it somewhat. However that is not the stock subframe he's running so who knows... Best thing is look on Suzuki's site at the seat height and compare it with the 9R.

2... 600 miles I believe

3... Somewhat, though I wouldn't say it cleans it up as easily as other bikes... The tail is low slung with a bunch of crap attached... But there are undertails, and some of my friends have made homemade fender eliminators that work well.

4... Don't know

5... Slipon usually without some good engine mods. Though I know Troy and my buddy run the full exhausts without much trouble. Both put out nearly the same power. But for performance vs price, slipons are way to go with twins, depending on the exhaust of course.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm 5'10" with my boots on and I can "almost" flat foot it. So there it will be a strech for you stock.

My buddies TLS with Yosh slip-ons sounds great and got some surprising ponies out of them. I think he dynoed around 118.

Sorry can't help with the other ?'s

·
I miss my daggone stars
12,002 Posts
I'll answer Quick and dirty ;) Just like you like your women :laughing

The Crusher said:

1. How is the seat height on these? I'm 5'7" but had no problem reaching flat-footed on my ZX-9R

You might find it a bit difficult to flatfoot....I'm 6'-2" and can barely flatfoot mine :(

The Crusher said:

2. What's the break-in on these, 600mi. or 1000mi.?

I'll get to this one tommorrow, the link is at work ;)

The Crusher said:

3. How easy is it to remove the rear fender? I've always used a dremmel on my other bikes, is it easy to remove?

hold off on that till you can afford a nice undertail! I know it SUCKS!!!! but leave it till you get the nice one ;)

The Crusher said:

4. Is Dennis Kirk still the best place to buy flush mount directionals and stuff like that?

No no

talk to Rez ...well actually [email protected] and he'll hook you up :thumb

The Crusher said:

5. Yoshimura RS-3 cans........slip-on or full exhaust?

You willing to spend $300 more for a full system? Then, You wanna be a cheap bastard and get a full system for less than a new slip-on? Look on www.wera.com and check the for sale section! Get a full system used ;) And then you'll need to remap!

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Definately a full exhaust but keep in mind you need a PCII or a YAFMS remap when you put it on. Look at it this way... My Micron CF slip-ons that I had a year ago cost me almost $600 by the time Tax and Shipping were added. My roomate bought a NEW full system, race baffle M4 system for his TLR for $748 shipped. Uh, no contest. :D

To flat-foot a TLR comfortably you'll need a ~28" inseam. I think anyway.... Can't remember my inseam for sure to save my life, :laughing

The mud-flap dremels fairly well, but there is a LOT of it to dremel off. Most aftermarket kits look better.

·
Moderator,
11,545 Posts
Don't bother with the slip ons, go for the full system. I'm 5-9 and though I can't flat foot, I have no problems getting the sucker around.

Make sure you get rid of the pair valve if you go with pipes. Otherwise you'll be back firing all over the place.

With a little time you can get a pretty clean undertail with a dremel. You will lose some of your trunk space though.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Yosh Slip-Ons

While I don't disagree that a F/S is the way to go for more power. If you just want to unlock the sound of the v-twin slip-ons sound great. You also lose about 5 lbs. A full system also requires a remap or a PCII. If you are interested I have a set of Yoshimura stainless slip-ons that I had on my TLS for one month this summer. I can sell them for $350 and I work in East Greenwich so no shipping or tax. Let me know if you are interested. They are wrapped like new in the original box waiting to go to a new home.

·
Moderator,
16,949 Posts
Will someone post some dynos of slipons vs full systems on Tiller's please? If you prefer it that's fine, but I'd like to see some evidence that a full system really offers more power.

I know on a stock RC51 they do not.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Don't have the printouts at work to scan, but w/Micron Slip-ons and YAFMS remap, my TLS made ~108.6 rwHP. With full RS-3 Race Yoshimura w/PCII and custom map, I made rwHP 119.1... If you want I'll post the link of the video of my dyno w/the Yoshi's... :shrug

·
Registered
42 Posts
AdamTLS said:
Don't have the printouts at work to scan, but w/Micron Slip-ons and YAFMS remap, my TLS made ~108.6 rwHP. With full RS-3 Race Yoshimura w/PCII and custom map, I made rwHP 119.1... If you want I'll post the link of the video of my dyno w/the Yoshi's... :shrug
I am almost positive that is very close to the gains my buddies TLS made with just slip-ons, K&N and re-map.
I will see if he still has his slip when I get off from work today and post it. :thumb

I was wondering how many pounds you shave off with the full system though?

·
Moderator,
16,949 Posts
I don't quite follow what's happening in the dyno's Troy? Your baseline was what?

Would the S benefit more from a full exhaust? Because another 11rwhp is pretty stout for any engine.

Like I said, I only ask because typically relatively stock twins don't respond well to aftermarket headers.

·
Registered
43 Posts
The stock TLS header is a poor design. The left side has kinks in it for the chain and kickstand to clear. There are gains to be had with the slip-ons and even more with a full system.

·
Moderator,
16,949 Posts
Good point, so does the R.

Which could be why the gains are so great, as opposed to the RC or other twins.

·
Registered
8,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I was checking the spec. on suzuki.com, the Hayabusa is listed at 31.7 inch seat height. When I rode that bike, I was flat footed. The TLR is listed at 32.5, so it shouldn't be too bad. Maybe my fat ass is good for something :laughing

1 - 20 of 23 Posts