Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off SilverSurfer, settle down, I'm not joining the Triumph fold just yet. I was in at the local Yamaha dealership today to see if I could check out a FJR, but they didn't have one. So I wondered over to the used bikes buliding they have and sitting in the very back between a Buell M2 and a Yamaha Seca II was a jet black Speed Triple. I looked it over, very nice, all stock with the exception of the Triumph Bikini screen. Went back to the sales guys to get a little bit more info on the bike, 1999, one owner, 5400 miles, guy traded it in after his riding buddy waded his R1. Price : a negotiable $6300. To me that sounds like a decent deal, but I could be wrong.

So 99 Speed Triple owners, why shouldn't I buy it, any know problems or draw backs with that particular year?

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
Mine's a 2001... still want my opinion?

Fiscally, I don't think it's a good idea. You already have a bike that does everything the Sp3 does, it does them just as well, and it does them reliably. I've ridden a 919 semi-extensively, and back-to-back with my Sp3 as well. There really is nothing that the Sp3 can do that the 919 cannot (except that the Sp3 does come with steel-braided brake-lines out-of-the-box :thumb ).

As some of you know, I've had some annoying little problems with my Sp3, but please believe me when I say: that is NOT why I am trying to dissuade you from the purchase. It's just that you already have a Sp3-clone, of sorts.

But after some consideration, there IS "that" reason as to why you might want to get the Triumph... the Euro/exclusivity/"not-everyone-else-has-one" factor. I know that sounds lame, but I must grudgingly admit that it does satisfy me to announce to the world that I own a Triumph. It really does have that "character"... whose appeal eludes rational explanation.

·
How 'bout you go get the ball
2,228 Posts
I don't know about that year specifically but I absolutely love my 01 and I think they are pretty much the same bike.
As far as why not to buy it I see no reason. They are a great bike IMO. But be warned I have talked to other Honda owners that owned a Triple first and got rid of them because they say they are twitchy and weren't as easy to handle/ride as the honda. But if ya ask me it's just the bikes "character" (silver surfer will back me on this). Learn to tame it and handle the bike and you'll love it. I know other triple riders that have more than one bike and the first keys they reach for are the Triple (mainly Aaaauuuuuggaa).

I bet if you offered them 5900 they'd take it. Then you'll own two of the meanest hooligan bikes ever built. The only thing I would do is put clip-ons on it and enjoy.

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
Y'know what, T? I think that comes the closest in explaining the unexplainable. It really does take a concerted effort to tame the Sp3. But once you do, man, what a ride!

Everyone wants to ride the wild mustang. Who wants to ride a docile mare?

·
Moderator,
8,028 Posts
OH, YA, BABY! Come on down to Triumphtown!

TSpeed has got the character thing nailed, imo. My definition of character is the satisfaction of overcoming the minor shortfalls of a vehicle so that it can perform as well, if not better, than it's competitors.

I don't have personal experience with the 919, but the last mag comparo of the two bikes put the Sp3 ahead. The Sp3's got THAT ENGINE, that buy eye look, the solid as a rock feel, and THAT SOUND. I can't imagine the Sp3 running complete circles around the 919, but I can see you enjoying the Sp3 in different ways from the 919.

Oh, and remember, we only go 'round once, so live it up a little, will ya??!! :D

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
SilverSurfer said:
TSpeed has got the character thing nailed, imo. My definition of character is the satisfaction of overcoming the minor shortfalls of a vehicle so that it can perform as well, if not better, than it's competitors.
That reminds me of a pretty popular thread that I read awhile back at SBN. I don't remember who started the thread, but (at the risk of stepping on his toes) I think Ima start a similar thread here at CF... but I think I'll get a better reaction in the Euro forum... OK I'll post a link here in Naked also.

·
How 'bout you go get the ball
2,228 Posts
*bowing*....*elvis voice.....thank you....thank you very much*

The rock solid feel is really what sold me on it. I'm 6'2" and hoover around 230 and all the hondas, kaws and suz's I've sit on or road just don't feel right under me. The Triple has the size and weight to make me feel comfortable and feel like the bike fits me. And as we all know on the street there is a very narrow margin that seperates all the liter class bikes. I personally believe that on the street it isn't really the bike that makes the difference but the rider. And that is simply because of the limits that the street offers (traffic, red light, etc...).

Like SS and Aaauuuggaaa said its the total package (character included) that the bike offers not just a few details.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts