Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Any of you guys plan to go to Laguna Seca? I'm going to sit it out this year, but I suspect Jose is going again.

I'm trying to fit at least one AMA weekend in. I wanted to do the Daytona 200, but have some scheduling conflicts. I'd like to see a track I haven't been to yet. If I time it right, I could do Barber on my way back from a visit to the east coast. I've been wanting to see Infineon in California, but I'd hate to ride there (the scenery between here and there isn't terrific). We'll be moved to the Midwest before the end of the season, so the race at Mid-Ohio would be less than 500 miles away.

·
Scenic Rider
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jose did the closest one to us at Barber....sounded good..!!

April 21-23rd.....it's a maybe...............!!??

·
Registered
174 Posts
Man... that's messed up that the closest one is 800 miles from here!

I guess I better start planning. I wanted to make a loop through the midwest, over to my family in Virginia, and down to visit friends in Georgia. If I time it right, I can hit Barber on the way home. But, I have to make sure it all fits in with my wife's call schedule... and she even has a TDY coming up.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Barber was ok. The track and grounds were very nice, the museum is incredible and since Talladega isn't that far away hotels are plentiful. The cost of the entire trip was less than the hotel in Monterey. Its a good trip unless you've been spoiled by going to Laguna (WSBK and MotoGP).

·
Scenic Rider
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok

so is anyone actually really wanting to try this trip....??

if so who,

on bike or other transportation,

when can they leave and must be back,

etc and etc,

:specs

·
Registered
174 Posts
I'll go on the bike!

If we do this, I think I'd probably modify the April road trip completely. I might ride out to Barber, and then continue to Georgia, then up to Virginia, and back through the midwest. I think it would be cool. Maybe we could camp and pretend we were at the Isle of Man.

We could make it in one day (13 hours), but that's busting ass on the interstate the whole way.

EDIT: I just checked, they offer on-site tent camping for $50 per tent for the "weekend" (I think this means Thursday through the final race on Sunday).
http://www.barbermotorsports.com/amacamping06.pdf

Three-day admission is $55. Paddock pass is $10. And, if you want to do the Parade Lap it's $30. You can buy all this stuff on their web site:
https://www.southtix.com/ama-superbike-tickets.html

·
Scenic Rider
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well before a plane ticket I would drive...

camping seems fine

prices are lower than expected...

hiway speeds are >>/:confused

have done florida in less time....Gt Mustang of course..;)

·
Registered
174 Posts
It's 800 miles. I figured it averaging 60 mph. That includes stops for gas and meals. Jose and I averaged 55 mph returning from California, and we didn't dilly dally. I think we were probably doing about 80 mph most of the time we were on the road. It's the gas/food breaks that kill your average.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts