Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
I'm a Krazy SQUID!
3,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:mad So I'm on my way to work this morning...and I'm driving in (I missed my bus - yes....I ride a bus to work (it's free!)). I come to this stop sign to turn onto Martin Luther King Way and it's at the bottom of a hill and there's a curve, so you have to pull out pretty far to see if its clear. Well, the girl behind me must have thought I wasn't there...cause she ran into me. My orange juice went flying and splattered all over my car and myself... my cell phone flew from its little resting place. I could already feel my neck stiffen up.

Now, I've been in two other accidents (not my fault thank you very much) where my car was totaled - by rear-enders. So I called the police and the girl apologized for hitting me and she was actually really nice and the cop was cool too. He didn't cite her for anything...as it appeared that there's no damage (which I was really amazed by - it was a loud hard *thud*, it was also still dark out at the time of this whole thing).

I got to work and parked in my buildings parking garage so I could look at my car in the light. Well, there isn't any visible damage as far as dents go... But my trunk and bumper are now...not in line. So yeah. And did I mention that my neck is still sore? Well, after years of physical therapy and chiro and all that...I'm sad that once again...I got a case of whiplash.

Grrrr. Sorry, just needed to rant. Crappy way to start the day...

might the frame be mis-aligned? or was the bumper just knocked out of line? I'll take it in for an evaluation...

Don't TAILGATE! :mad

·
This little piggy went to market...
2,684 Posts
Did you guys at least exchange information?

If so, you should file a claim with your insurance company and get the process started.

And sorry to hear about this collision. :(

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Krazy8z said:
Grrrr. Sorry, just needed to rant. Crappy way to start the day...

might the frame be mis-aligned? or was the bumper just knocked out of line? I'll take it in for an evaluation...

Don't TAILGATE! :mad
I don't think anything happened to the frame, but it depends on what you're driving...do you still have that girl's info? She should definitely cover damages-

I'm sorry that happened...sucks butt...:(
That's a big reason I don't tailgate.

·
I'm a Krazy SQUID!
3,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh yes, we did exchange info. I already called my company... Oh, and she didn't have her insurance card with her and the cop was like, "you have pemco? Ok.." I was kinda thinking :WTF? Shouldn't he cite her for at least not carrying her insurance card? How do I know she really does have insurance? It just seemed odd that he didn't do anything other than make sure we exchanged info. Of course, it looked as if nothing was wrong with the cars....so maybe he just thought we'd drive off and be done with it. But my bumper/trunk/neck is speaking otherwise...

·
I'm a Krazy SQUID!
3,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: Re: Someone Hit It (my car)

bijou said:
I don't think anything happened to the frame, but it depends on what you're driving...
I think it's my wishful thinking hoping the frame is screwed up enough to total out my car... it's a 94 jetta...so its not worth all that much.

·
sumthin sounds crunchy
3,646 Posts
gee wish I'd met a cop like that..

I've never met a officer that didn't cite me for somthing... Seems like he didn't want to do the paperwork.

It's always better for you if the other driver gets a citation at the scene. It goes a long ways if/when the dualing insurance companies go to war.. (if they have to) If there was no citation then her insurance company (if she has insurance) can say she was not at fault.. bla bla bla..

Hope you neck gets better for chrismas!!!!!!!!!!!

·
This little piggy went to market...
2,684 Posts
Well, as long as you have her drivers license number, license plate, etc, your insurance company can track them down.

Your insurance company will pay for the bills under the "uninsured motorist" part of your package. And if this other driver doesn't have insurance, they'll go after her.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
I thought there had to a citation at EVERY accident. Someone is always at fault and should get written up for something.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Someone isn't always at fault- sometimes there's debris in the road, or hidden slicks...Then you have unfortunate natural events, hurricanes, high winds...I'm always afraid I'll get blown into someone on the I-90 bridge...

Anyhow, enuf of that. I really hope your neck is doing better and there's no hidden damage- please get that checked out by your doctor, I heard too many stories yesterday of people skiing, walking, running around on hairline fractures they weren't aware of.

·
Registered
9,572 Posts
Wow - bummer!! I'm sorry - take your car in, get a couple estimates ready to go. Her insurance company will want to send an estimator out to survery the damage and give you an estimate - he is, obviously, on HER side though so have a couple of outside estimates ready to go.

My van got totalled this week as well - I hate stupid drivers. I'm headed to the chiro on Tuesday, I'm in pain all day long :( The guy tried to merge between my van and another car, apparently (I didn't see it happen, only heard the CRUNCH and then my back window exploded into the car). He DID get cited - too close for conditions. And I've got a lawyer. Ugh.

·
I'm a Krazy SQUID!
3,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
upslogger19 said:
I thought there had to a citation at EVERY accident. Someone is always at fault and should get written up for something.
Thats what i thought too. But no police report...he didn't take down any of our info. I guess I should have asked more questions, but I was kinda like, he knows what he's doing (so i thought). He just told us to call our insurance companies. In my last accident...I was hauled off in an aid car...so I wasn't involved in the police reports or any information swap or anything. Hmm...now I'm kinda upset that he didn't take things more seriously...but, I know my insurance company takes GREAT care of me always, so not too many worries as far as that goes.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Police reports are not mandatory unless the damage exceeds $800 (Used to be $500 but I think they raised it a bit) If there was no visibile damage he probably wouldn't have taken a report. Without a report there's no basis for a citation as he didn't witness the infraction (have to witness it unless there's a reportable accident)

The big question is, did you tell him your neck was hurt. Any injury or possible injury requires an accident report be taken. If you have his card, call the guy and tell him your car is messed up, your neck hurts and you'd like him to write the report. If he balks, chat with his supervisor but be cool about it.

·
I like boobs
12,333 Posts
Go get your neck/back checked out!

Regarding your car, based on the damages that you described, it is highly unlikely that the body (there is no frame) is tweaked. The question now is, are the damages that occured enough to total out the car. If all that happened is a pushed in bumper and no actual body work was damaged, then probably not. Get the insurance to pay for the damages, fix it yourself (parts can be sourced cheaply through the Vortex) and profit.

Sorry to hear about your accident... :(

·
sumthin sounds crunchy
3,646 Posts
Now this IS useful information!!!!!!

Boz said:
Police reports are not mandatory unless the damage exceeds $800 (Used to be $500 but I think they raised it a bit) If there was no visibile damage he probably wouldn't have taken a report. Without a report there's no basis for a citation as he didn't witness the infraction (have to witness it unless there's a reportable accident)

The big question is, did you tell him your neck was hurt. Any injury or possible injury requires an accident report be taken. If you have his card, call the guy and tell him your car is messed up, your neck hurts and you'd like him to write the report. If he balks, chat with his supervisor but be cool about it.

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
mnewell said:
Go get your neck/back checked out!
That sawks big time, i always hate to hear when that happens to people. With you neck hurting a bit, don't take this the wrong way cause i know it might hurt now, but it could actually get worse in another day or two. Right now your body is probably still got adrenalin flowin and the whiplash usually doesn't take effect for another day or so after the accident. Be sure to get it checked out and if you do so today the doctor will most likely say "be sure to call me in 2 days or so and let me know how it is".

Again, i'm sorry to hear that happened but atleast it sounds like you are ok and thats the most important thing. Insurance will work it self out and your car should be fixed back to normal.

And that is exactly why i can't stand drivers here in washington, or anywhere for that matter. "Oh i uhhh didn't see your jetta stopped in front of me and well....oops" Every day i drive i look at for other people who don't look out for me and usually have a few near miss hits every damn day :rant

take care and i think everything will work out. :D

·
Registered
5,792 Posts
boz knows his shit.. if you need any info on what to do about a case of whiplash let me know, i am just ending my claim on mine. after over 2+ years.

·
I'm a Krazy SQUID!
3,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Update: Took my car to a repair shop for an estimate...and basically, they said that they couldn't really tell me what kind of damage there is. The bumper obviously got shoved up into the car and the way they explained it...the bumper crushes everything there and then bounces back out and into place (so it doesn't look bad, but everything behind it in essence has to be replaced). That sucks though. I wanted an overall estimate of the damage. I think I'd way rather have money and buy a new car. Why fix a piece of shit anyway?

Oh, and um...yeah, the orange juice that i was holding when she hit me...that ended up all over the inside of my car. I looked up and saw that there's orange juice on the fabric cover on the ceiling...it's SO gross. And it's splattered all over my window/windsheild/control panel...so yeah, guess I'll get my car detailed and demand they pay. It's disgusting. I'll take some pictures before I take it in so i have proof that it really was all over...it was all over my pants too.

As far as whiplash goes...yes, i got it. My head was cranked to the left looking for an opening in traffic when the girl rammed into the car. And the way the roads intersect...is at quite a weird angle, so my head was REALLY cranked to the side...and it's really stiff today... :(

What do I do, go to a doctor on monday?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts