Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Insomniac
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
didnt know where else to post this, sorry if this the wrong forum.

this is something i've been playing with...

gonna try and build a complete bike, but i doubt it'll work. its gonna be a custom sportbike, since i suck to much to try and model a real bike. :D

·
Registered
11,198 Posts
it's a wheel....
I can think of something better to play with that I KNOW you have....;)

go play with that instead of trying to redesign the wheel :p

·
Insomniac
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
BABETTE said:
You don't have ANYTHING better to do in your spare time? :p Do you know how long that'll take? :eek
well, its taken about 5 hours to get the wheel how i wanted to, its still not done though. got details to add. but i figure a few weeks to get something that starts to resemble a bike. prolly 3 months to complete if im lucky. with winter coming, it should be a nice project to do since i wont be able to ride. :D

·
Insomniac
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
this was a previous version, testing a custom bike (like a harley custom or something to that effect)...

didnt like the way this was turning out, so i scrapped it :(

·
Registered
162 Posts
I have one question...
Why are you trying to re-invent the wheel? :redflip

·
Registered
846 Posts
What software are you using?

If it supports it, you may want to draw the cross section of the wheel with lines, and extrude it radially to form a complete hull. Then you can generate the hub, the spokes (which you can clone radially), and the tire (same way as the wheel).

Makes it so much easier to make round shapes, plus you can get the little details like the ridge in the middle of the wheel and the angle of the inner wheel radius without going insane.

Looking good :thumb

·
Insomniac
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Narf said:
What software are you using?

If it supports it, you may want to draw the cross section of the wheel with lines, and extrude it radially to form a complete hull. Then you can generate the hub, the spokes (which you can clone radially), and the tire (same way as the wheel).

Makes it so much easier to make round shapes, plus you can get the little details like the ridge in the middle of the wheel and the angle of the inner wheel radius without going insane.

Looking good :thumb
trueSpace 4.3, and i havent a clue about a lot of what you said. i dont know the lingo real well, i just play around. basically though, i did a poly for the wheel, then used the lathe tool on it. the tire is a torus which is going to be redone using a spline poly when i get home. the spokes are just a compressed cone chopped in half.

since im not familar enough with 3d work yet, and the neat tricks people use that work, im stuck faking a lot of things. :(

i'll take a couple screen caps when i get home so you can really see what im talking about. :D

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
chammer said:
well, its taken about 5 hours to get the wheel how i wanted to, its still not done though. got details to add. but i figure a few weeks to get something that starts to resemble a bike. prolly 3 months to complete if im lucky. with winter coming, it should be a nice project to do since i wont be able to ride. :D
Well so long as your entertained then. :laughing Good luck.

·
Registered
846 Posts
chammer said:
trueSpace 4.3, and i havent a clue about a lot of what you said. i dont know the lingo real well, i just play around. basically though, i did a poly for the wheel, then used the lathe tool on it. the tire is a torus which is going to be redone using a spline poly when i get home. the spokes are just a compressed cone chopped in half.

since im not familar enough with 3d work yet, and the neat tricks people use that work, im stuck faking a lot of things. :(

i'll take a couple screen caps when i get home so you can really see what im talking about. :D
Exactly what I was talking about. I'm more familiar the programming end of 3d work, and forget what the common name of the tools are called :)

Wasn't sure if you lathed the object or not. Yeah, making a spline-cross section of the tire will make it look much better. then you can add a (depth map? bump map? displacement map?) to make the tread :)

If you can afford it, rhino3d is an excellent modeller: www.rhino3d.com. I used it probably 3 yrs ago and it was top notch then. Haven't used it recently.

·
Registered
440 Posts
It looks good man. Keep posting when you make progress, Im interested in seeing the finished product.

·
Insomniac
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
narf: i dont know if i'll do tread, i think its gonna be a race bike (ie: slicks) until i can get more familar with making odd shapes and the tools. i've only done interior stuff before, with squared off edges. so this is going to be a pretty rough challenge.

srv: dont know if it'll get finish, i'll try though. depends how frustrated i get. :D

here's an updated version of the tire using a spline poly instead of the torus:

its a bit to tall, and not round enough, but i'll fix it when i get home. only had time at lunch to redo the poly, scale it, and render it.

·
I used to be drunk and Tan damn NY
7,107 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
I've been working on modeling my TL, sort of a background project when I'm not working on something else.
Heres a link to a screenshot of what I've got done so far
http://www.greenonyx.com/~void/3d/bike_wip_14.jpg
(I don't wanna post the picture, its really big :p )

·
Registered
203 Posts
Krabill said:
Well then, scale it down a little:

btw - lookin' good so far
I'm too lazy.
That'd mean I would have to save it to this computer, open photoshop, resize it, and upload it again :p thx for doing it for me :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts