Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Graphic support
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Now before this thread starts off, I'd like to say that I'm a fairly responsible rider that doesn't normally race anyone anywhere. However, put me next to any exotic, and I'm naturally wondering how my bike would perform. This past weekend was just that. I was riding home on the freeway with a few buddues of mine when I see a red Ferrari Testarossa come onto the freeway. I immediatley start wondering....."I wonder how my bike would perform. Or even better..... I wonder how his cage would perform." But before I knew it, I see him in my rear view mirror gaining on my friends and I...... really fast! (There were about 7 of us, I was traveling at around 70mph, second to last out of the group) He pulls up next to us, suprisingly, a fairly young looking fella possibly early thirties. And he points towards to horizon with grin on his face:D

Next thing I remember is dropping the bike down to 4th gear and punching it like crazy. (traffic was very mild) As I geared through 4th and 5th.... I was probably up 2 car lengths..... but he was still on my tail. Up to 6th I was still continueing to pull on him. :redflip This was a rush like no other...... my friends were following as well, however I don't think they dropped any gear. But simply opened the throttle in 6th. Therefore, I passed them up a whiles ago.

After a good while up ahead, I slowed down to the flow of traffic, where the gentleman in the testarossa waved to me a gave a thumbs up. :D I naturally did that same and exited the freeway.

the thing with a car like the Testarossa is that if he was given enough space, and no traffic up ahead, he would eventually smoke me. All in all though.... still a great experience. :p

·
Moderator,
16,949 Posts
Nice.

Alot of the older Testerossa's were kinda slugs, at least to nowaday standards... However the later 512TR's were not slow by any means. Given a very competent driver(which don't really exist in my most areas) can show your bike a good race even from a stop... Given the rider is "only" competent.

But it's always fun to play around. I never get any cars that are worthy... Only ricers, Camaro's and Vette's. :rolleyes

·
Registered
2,181 Posts

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
It's good to see he was a good sport about it too. Usually they look down upon as you, as if to say "So you ride a bike, I'll whoop your ass." Then they get whooped and run home crying.

·
It's not Rocket appliances.
19,663 Posts
I have found that guys in exotics won't even try against the bigger bikes.
I guess they have a gotta win no matter what attitude.
I have tried a 911, a 928, and audi S4, several mustang GTs, Z28s, corvettes, and a diaper(not lost of exotics in canada).
none of them went(except for a Z06 who saw little suzuki letters and a small tailight dissapear).

·
Registered
100 Posts
karl_1052 said:
I have found that guys in exotics won't even try against the bigger bikes.
I guess they have a gotta win no matter what attitude.
I have tried a 911, a 928, and audi S4, several mustang GTs, Z28s, corvettes, and a diaper(not lost of exotics in canada).
none of them went(except for a Z06 who saw little suzuki letters and a small tailight dissapear).
I'm surprised that you had such an easy time with a Z06. They have as good or better performance than most exotics.

·
19,663 Posts
thanos said:
I'm surprised that you had such an easy time with a Z06. They have as good or better performance than most exotics.
off the line it was. buh bye Z06.

and my bike may be old, but it is not slow.;)

·
currently enjoying Mansun
3,148 Posts
karl_1052 said:
off the line it was. buh bye Z06.

and my bike may be old, but it is not slow.;)
Oh heck no. A Z06 off the line vs. an 1100? :laughing

The FJ could easily embarrass my father's FRC, especially off the line; I know a stock Z06 is quicker, but it can't make up that space!

Now, some of the cars on CorvetteForums.com... with the 6.9 liters and the NOS and the twin turbos and the superchargers... would be a different story, especially in a roll.

·
Registered
6 Posts
If you were going 70mph then dropping down to 2nd (not 4th) would have been more appropriate. There's no way he would have been in the same timezone 5 seconds later. Good kill though.

·
Kawpuke Extraordinare!!
6,201 Posts
A car is gonna have to have at least 700-800 horsepower to be comptetive with a modern big bore bike. I know the Walser Supra has put the smack down on big bore bikes, but that car is a monster. U normal dude in a Vette is gonna get his feelings hurt messing with a big bike..

·
19,663 Posts
ZXLNT said:
I know the Walser Supra has put the smack down on big bore bikes, but that car is a monster.
he will also not race off the line from what I understand.
the car is mega fast on rollons, but can't get traction for a quick 1/4 time.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I would have done the same. I followed a 911 top speed in Europe on a 94 zx7, I was reading over the limit of 185, speedo is not near correct at that speed though.:D

·
Graphic support
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If you were going 70mph then dropping down to 2nd (not 4th) would have been more appropriate. There's no way he would have been in the same timezone 5 seconds later. Good kill though.
Whoa....... 2nd? Afterwards I thought I could have dropped it into 3rd, but thought what the hey, 4th seemed to work out fine. Maybe 2nd on a litre bike, but I don't know about a 600. Wouldn't it redline like crazy? Even at 4th I was sitting at 10k, I'd imagine 3rd wouldn't but too far off much less 2nd.

·
It's good to be the king
4,427 Posts
I haven't gotten any good races on the 1000. Tried to goad a few faster cars into it. No dice. But on the 750. I get everything. Camaro's, Mustangs, Porshes, and a Viper once. Smoked all their asses. :D

Deuce

·
Kawpuke Extraordinare!!
6,201 Posts
karl_1052 said:
he will also not race off the line from what I understand.
the car is mega fast on rollons, but can't get traction for a quick 1/4 time.

Oh it could with slicks and such but then people would bitch about that. Its still an awesome machine..

1 - 20 of 41 Posts